frightening exhaust system cost

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dagodave
Motorcycle: 84 aspencade 1200 cb250 rs

frightening exhaust system cost

Postby dagodave » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:16 am

Hello Has any one ever fabricated their own exhaust system i ask this because my recently purchased project Aspencade 1200 circa 1984 came with everything but the middle and back boxes .My welding skills are up to this but it would be nice to talk yo someone who has tried, one of the reasons to make my own is cost a new system is 500£ + secondhand £200+ any one got any suggestions best wishes dagodave

seeberluca
Motorcycle: GL1800 2007 Navi Airbag ABS
kymco 150 to go to the garage to pick up the GL

Re: frightening exhaust system cost

Postby seeberluca » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:51 am

Hi,
I've never tried to do something like that, and I do not know of anyone who has done so, but here in Italy you can mount only original exhaust systems or certified as the original. ;)

dagodave
Motorcycle: 84 aspencade 1200 cb250 rs

Postby dagodave » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:34 am

at the moment in the uk u can modify don,t know for how much longer EU rules being made in Brussels whatever happened to freedom perhaps we should leave the EU until its sees sense on to much regulation many thanks

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:49 am

Because of the proliferation of "loud motorcycles", the Australian Design Rules for Vehicles (ADR) now states that you can only fit exhaust systems that comply with the standards, and the system has to be stamped with the Standard number as well as the DBa levels to be expected from that system.

It must be a safety thing, because those "loud motorcycles" must have trouble hearing the police and emergency sirens with those loud exhausts giving everyone else a headache. Obviously, I am not in favour of loudness in the interest of safety.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:53 pm

redial wrote:Because of the proliferation of "loud motorcycles", the Australian Design Rules for Vehicles (ADR) now states that you can only fit exhaust systems that comply with the standards, and the system has to be stamped with the Standard number as well as the DBa levels to be expected from that system.

It must be a safety thing, because those "loud motorcycles" must have trouble hearing the police and emergency sirens with those loud exhausts giving everyone else a headache. Obviously, I am not in favour of loudness in the interest of safety.

Same here in New Zealand, originals only and if you do fit aftermarket they have to be certified and your vehicle has to be rectified. If you fit uncertified "anything" your vehicle gets stickered, and then you have to take it to a testing station to get rectified etc ........ can and does cost lots of money.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Stafford Show coming up on the 20/21st Oct you might get a used system there, If the silencers are the same as a 1500gl I saw them first.

Sid

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 am

The other thing to bear in mind is your insurance. Insurance companies are becoming increasingly vigilant in their efforts to avoid paying out for accidents etc, Even if a modified component isn't anything remotely to do with the claim, they can (and have) refused to pay out because of undeclared modifications to the machine. However, declaring modifications can result in much higher premiums being demanded.

The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”