FYI if you own a 03-06 chevy Silverado

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

FYI if you own a 03-06 chevy Silverado

Postby Possum51 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:35 pm

I bought a barebones 03 1500 chevy silverado. It didn't even have cruise control, so I at least wanted to add the cruise control for trips. I called a chevy dealership and was told they didn't service that on ANY vehicle after the 3yr 36000 warranty ran out and they recommended a shop that sales and deals with AC Delco parts. So I called and they wanted $390 plus tax on the parts. I said thanks but no thanks. Called the dealership back and asked if the wiring was already there for the cruise gave him the VIN...got a run around they did everything but give me a straight answer.

So I do some research and find out that my truck has a ETC/ECM (electronic throttle control) no cables. Basicly a drive-by-wire system. I talked to some auto parts store and they wanted between $140 to $160 for the multifunction switch with the cruise control. After a little more research I found one on ebay brand new in the box for $50 and ordered it.

It took between 30-45 mins to install and when I removed the upper and lower column covers, there was the plug for the cruise control part of the switch.

I connected everything put it all back together, went for a test drive, hit the cruise set buttom, cruise kicks in and works like a champ and even the cruise light came on in the dash, and the cruise kicked out when I mashed the brakes like it should. So the upgrade for my truck was a simple plug-n-play switch install. But the jerks at the "stealership" refuse to admit it would be that easy, looking to get some $$$$ out of what they thought was just another dumb truck owner. I spent over 30 years as a tech for both ford and chevy, I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised at the round around I got. Moral: Do your reseach before you just except what the dealership tells you, it can pay off in both time and money!!!

Rick.....

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: FYI if you own a 03-06 chevy Silverado

Postby tandem54 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:22 am

I hate going to the dealer! They have costs, but WOW!!
I towed my F150 to the dealer because it wouldn't start, they said Bad Fuel pump, OK, $900 (OEM) are you kidding me? Long story short; I put an after market brand in myself for less than $200!!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:02 am

If your Silverado has the 5.3 engine read this and keep an eye on the coolant. I have same problem with my 02.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.p ... 746&st=105
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Postby Possum51 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 am

dingdong wrote:If your Silverado has the 5.3 engine read this and keep an eye on the coolant. I have same problem with my 02.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.p ... 746&st=105

wow, glad I have the 4.8L

Rick.....

Return to “Goldwing Chat”