Wind noise on intercom

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Wind noise on intercom

Postby mtn_boy1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:23 pm

I got a headset system for my helmets so I could use intercom, CB, etc. I get a lot of wind noise that mutes the headset. I've got the less expensive one ( $100.00 each) from J&M. Is there something y'all have found that helps with that? Can I put some other material under the windsock i.e t shirt material or something. The intercom between driver and passenger is great. The CB works good. I'm just trying to keep the wind from muting the stereo so much.

'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Wind noise on intercom

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:37 pm

It's a tough thing to do on open-faced helmets. I've heard that some people have had success by pulling the windsock off, stretching a small piece of nylon pantyhose over the mic, then putting the windsock back on top of it.

Or, you could just turn the muting up higher, and shout to your passenger. :)

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks Wing. I want to try something before I do the mute button thing. I got them so that we didn't have to holler at each other all the time. LOL By the way, good to see you again. I hadn't been on here since I traded my 83 last spring.
'Soldier HARD'
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Thought of something else. I don't have an Owners Manual... yet. So the deal is turning the mute button clockwise means it takes more noise to mute the stereo? Will the CB still mute it regardless of CB volume? Maybe I can play with it a little and find a happy place. The other thing is when I'm using intercom, stereo, and CB ( I know, I probably shouldn't be riding LOL), the CB comes over the speakers not the headset. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
'Soldier HARD'

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:13 pm

mtn_boy1 wrote:Thought of something else. I don't have an Owners Manual... yet. So the deal is turning the mute button clockwise means it takes more noise to mute the stereo? Will the CB still mute it regardless of CB volume? Maybe I can play with it a little and find a happy place. The other thing is when I'm using intercom, stereo, and CB ( I know, I probably shouldn't be riding LOL), the CB comes over the speakers not the headset. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Nice looking bike, by the way. :)

The mute control, when rotated clockwise, makes it so it takes MORE noise on the intercom before the stereo mutes. If it's muting too often, turn the knob clockwise.

The CB will always mute the stereo, as long as it is set to go through the headset - if the CB breaks squelch, it will mute the stereo for as long as it is receiving a signal. If it is playing through the speakers, it will not mute the stereo.

You can switch the CB between speakers and headset by pressing in on the squelch button (you'll see the headphone symbol appear on the CB display).

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks Wing. Got the PM you sent. Been reading ever since. It's amazing what you can find out if you just read!! LOL
'Soldier HARD'

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:42 pm

I had that issue with my older Nolan system which was replaced under warranty with the newer system. With the newer system the muting issue is gone. Before a truck would pass and mute the sound. Very annoying.

So it may be a function of spending more to get better quality, I din;t know.

I do know people who have the Mic Mute system wired in and that it works wonderfully. Just have to spend some more $$$.

http://www.mic-mutes.com/

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:48 am

I had the same problem with my headset mics. I ordered some large foam covers from wingstuff (I think) and just installed them over the ones that was already on the mics. It seams to help alot.
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

Peppyone1955
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Peppyone1955 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:27 pm

I have the same problem with my open face helmet. I have a flat face sheild on my helmet & just tuck the mic up under the bottom of the sheild. This works good if you dont mind the flat sheild on your helmet.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”