Sunglasses - what do you use?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Sunglasses - what do you use?

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:13 am

I have a real love/hate relationship with sunglasses for riding.

My eyes are quite sensitive to light, so I HAVE to have sunglasses during the day. For driving, I have a really great pair of expensive, polarized sunglasses. However, they are useless for riding. When you look through acrylic/plexiglass (i.e. helmet visor, windshield) while wearing polarized lenses, all you can see is crazy rainbow colors that obscures your vision of the road. Also, the arms on the sunglasses are extremely uncomfortable when worn inside my helmet.

I have a pair of cheaper, non-polarized sunglasses that I use for riding, but even the arms on those aren't very comfortable when riding - they're thick enough that being jammed between my ear and my head by the helmet makes my ears ache after an hour or so.

I have a fantastic pair of Ray-Ban aviator sunglasses with cable (wire) temples (arms) that I have for flying - the thin wire temples fit under my noise-cancelling headphones without lifting the headphone away from my head and letting the airplane engine noise inside. However, they're impossible to put on after I already have my motorcycle helmet on, because the temples curve around the backs of your ears.

I've tried so many sunglasses and have never really found any that I liked. So...what do you use? Have you found any that fit well (and comfortably!) with your helmet on?

seeberluca
Motorcycle: GL1800 2007 Navi Airbag ABS
kymco 150 to go to the garage to pick up the GL

Re: Sunglasses - what do you use?

Postby seeberluca » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 am

I'm using a Helmet with an internal sun visor . When there is no sun or during the nught I just slide the viso back into the helmet slot.

Otherwise I use the same sunglasses I use when I ride my bicycles with photochromic and anti-fog lenses
My helmet has a •EASYFIT system for comfortable use with glasses.
:)

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:52 am

Same problem here too.
While shopping at Harbor Freight,I found really cheap tinted "safety glasses".They wrap around with a wide viewing angle.No rim on these.Really cheap stuff,very thin arms.
Just what I needed. :lol:
My word..they cost less than $2 each.I bought 4 pair of tinted ones for daytime and 4 clear ones for night.
Well there thin,fit comfortable under the helmet and don't last too long.I get a few months before they get scratched up.
Like I said,there cheap,disposable made in china.
I spend more than that for the 2 drinks that I put in the cup holders.
Hey for $2 each....I could use a new pair on every trip I take. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:38 am

Virgil, that's awesome! I just happened to have a pair of those (non-tinted) sitting right next to me, I use them as "guest glasses" when I take a friend shooting. I threw my helmet on and tried them out - and they work amazingly well! I'm going to have to head off to Harbor Freight to get some of the tinted ones.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:48 am

I think you'll be suprised how well the work.Cheap and disposable. They seem to be just the right ammount of tint too and no distortion.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:12 pm

I found a pair of blue mirrored safety glasses at Menards a few years ago ...
Under $10 ...I like them so much...then I broke them by being careless...
So when I went back to get new ones they were out..and I setteled on a different pair that was OK but not great....
A few weeks later I was in the store buying some stuff for home repairs and hey had them back in stock...! I bought 3 pairs and they are safely in my tool box (except the pair I am using).

For clear glasses for night riding - it has always been a challenge finding really decent clear lenses...Even safety glasses seem to be distorted and uncomfortable...So I went to the local racquet ball club and bought a really good pair of racquet ball safety glasses -- optically perfect lenses and super nice and comfortable....a bit pricey at about $30 ...but I had a coupon for $10 off...they came with a nice carrying case so I use that too...

I even have a pair of yellow safety glasses for those in between cloudy grey days...kinda like shooting lenses for color..they tend to brighten the day a bit whiel still knocking down glare for me...
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

st4r50
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Postby st4r50 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Built in visor in my helmet along with a tinted face shield for all day rides, rest of the time I use the clear shield with a sundowner tint strip at the top. I gave up on glasses long ago. Many days I broke $20 worth of convenience store glasses before I got home.
KG4USG

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:45 pm

My son and I use what sounds like Virgil is talking about. I get them from work and my son found them at a auto parts store for a couple of bucks. I keep a couple different pair with me at all times. I too have sensitive eyes AND I wear contacts. The sun and the bright lights at night really bother me.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:48 pm

I use both a sun visor in my helmet and a pair of safety glasses.

I bought a head beanie from LD Comfort. With that on and glasses on I have no problem pulling a helmet over my overly large ears.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:30 am

Everyone already covered what I was going to suggest...

Before my eyes started getting old on me, I went to local Home Depot and purchased the black frame blue lense safety glasses ($8)....they covered my eyes well when wind hit, and was dark enough during the day.

Now, I have to wear presriptions....and tri-focals to boot. Right now, I can not afford a set of prescription blade sunglasses so I now have two helmets (Scorpion) - I have the full face with tinted dark visor, and then I have a half helmet with the flip down dark visor....that one that Seeber uses probably. That is the slickest thing.

So choices choices, lots of good info here.

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:01 pm

My prescription glasses have Transition lenses. They tint dark in the sunshine and go clear at night. Cause no funky rainbows with the windscreen at all. And, best of all, my work pays for a new pair once a year. So, I'm sporting new "safety" glasses once a year...

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:17 am

Mine are transitions also, they are the small lense glasses (amazing how they can make those damn things tri-focals, sigh), but I do not get new ones until every two years, and the prescription has changed enough that I could not get a riding set.

Welcome to getting old(er)

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:49 pm

I go to Sam's Club and buy a box of 6 pair for $12. They are ANSI Z87 rated with thin earpieces that don't press down on my ears under the helmet. Like an earlier post, these are "throw-down" glasses and will scratch if not handled with a little care. They have wrap around lens with soft nose pieces. I have been wearing these for several years now and have not had a problem with them. They will definitely stop high speed bugs.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

rmrc51
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 GoldWing Trike (Roadsmith)

Postby rmrc51 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:30 am

I really only use my prescription glasses as both of my helmets (Scorpion EXO-100 and EXO-900) have a drop down sun visor. I've gotten so use to having that option, I won't even consider any other helmet that doesn't offer it. ;)
Rich

wingsailor
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A
1988 GL1500
2005 GL1800

Postby wingsailor » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:47 am

I've been very happy with a pair of "reading sunglasses" I picked up at Rite Aid. The ones I bought can be put on before or after putting the helmet on.

joe c
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Postby joe c » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:19 pm

I have a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses with the straight wire that slides right in when wearing a full face helmet. The Ray Bans are over 30 years old and are as good as the day I bought them.

GRAPEAPE94
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby GRAPEAPE94 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:38 pm

I use a pair of perscription saftey glasses that I use at work. They have the transition lenses so I do not have to change glasses when it gets dark. In the 5 years that I have been using this method I have had no problems. One great side note is that the glasses are free through my work so I get a new pair every other year.

gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

Postby gof » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:57 pm

virgilmobile wrote:I found really cheap tinted "safety glasses".They wrap around with a wide viewing angle.No rim on these.Really cheap stuff,very thin arms.

I use the same safety glasses from Harbour Freight. Both clear and smoked. For those who ride without helmets (no longer me) they work excellent in the wind and do fall off or allow air on the eyes at all.

BUT...I think it's well beyond time to address the potential of UV issues later in life and have decided my eyes are worth more than $2. I am now searching for affordable sun glasses that block UV A and B if possible. This might be an area (like helmets) where it's worth spending a few extra dollars. Better late than never.

Off topic:
I am also setting a new Goldwing trend and will be getting the Arai XD4 dual sport helmet, for many reasons. I have read too many horror stories about facial reconstruction and 3/4 helmets or modulars exploding apart like Lego's. For me, one piece full face is the only way now, again, better late than never.

1. Built in breakaway sun visor (on top) - this will nearly eliminate all sun glare issues. Smoked helmet and glasses even used together cannot stop the glare from overhead sun in the mid-morning and mid-afternoon. A visor will END this issue.
2. UV "resistant" face shield - readily designed for goggle wearing riders, so I am sure it fits all sunglasses with no discomfort on the ears and temples.
3. Best venting available in a street helmet.
4. It's an Arai and more than well respected across the industry and Goldwing riders who have switched LOVE IT.
Last edited by gof on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:21 pm

gof wrote:BUT...I think it's well beyond time to address the potential of UV issues later in life and have decided my eyes are worth more than $2. I am now searching for affordable sun glasses that block UV A and B if possible. This might be an area (like helmets) where it's worth spending a few extra dollars. Better late than never.

I agree - and wearing tinted glasses that AREN'T UVA/B blocking, does more harm than wearing no glasses at all. For that reason I ordered a couple pairs of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/uv-safety- ... -9910.html

They're cheap, so if they don't work, I'll just toss them.

gof wrote:Off topic:
I am also setting a new Goldwing trend and will be getting the Arai XD4 dual sport helmet, for many reasons. I have read too many horror stories about facial reconstruction and 3/4 helmets or modulars exploding apart like Lego's. For me, one piece full face is the only way now, again, better late than never.

1. Built in breakaway sun visor - this will nearly eliminate all sun glare issues. Smoked helmet and glasses even used together cannot stop the glare from overhead sun in the mid-morning and mid-afternoon. A visor will END this issue.

I saw that helmet when it came out and thought the same thing. I've read about the full-face helmets with flip-down internal sun visors causing some pretty significant facial lacerations on impact, so I'm pretty leery of those - plus Arai doesn't make any (probably with good reason).

gof

Postby gof » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:35 pm

I did not know Harbour Freight also had the UV ones. I pass by their store on Monday's, so I think I will stop in and get some today and start using them full time on the commute and on the bike.

Merlinqc
Motorcycle: Goldwing 2009

Postby Merlinqc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:32 pm

I bought a pair of 7eye sunglasses. The model I chose is the Churada, they are comfortable and are optically correct. What I liked also is that I could get prescription lenses to go into the frame. I can put them on with the helmet on my head no problem. They are a bit more expensive than what you'll get at the drug store (around $70) but , I liked them, they fit well, what more can I ask for...

:ugeek:

gof

Postby gof » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 pm

gof wrote:I did not know Harbour Freight also had the UV ones. I pass by their store on Monday's, so I think I will stop in and get some today and start using them full time on the commute and on the bike.

I picked them up today. Identical fit to the ones for $1.49. They claim 99.9% UV A&B blocking. $3.99 per pair.

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:21 pm

While we're talking about glasses, has anyone else tried wearing the yellow 'shooters' glasses while riding at night. I found that they almost completely eliminated the glare from oncoming headlights. It feels strange to begin with but it seems to remove all the haze at dusk/dark and I feel like I actually see the sides of the road better. (Reflected light?) I normally don't wear my shield on my OF (unless it's raining) so I always wear glasses. Sunglasses on bright days and the shooters glasses when it's raining or dark.
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:43 pm

mtn_boy1 wrote:While we're talking about glasses, has anyone else tried wearing the yellow 'shooters' glasses while riding at night. I found that they almost completely eliminated the glare from oncoming headlights. It feels strange to begin with but it seems to remove all the haze at dusk/dark and I feel like I actually see the sides of the road better. (Reflected light?) I normally don't wear my shield on my OF (unless it's raining) so I always wear glasses. Sunglasses on bright days and the shooters glasses when it's raining or dark.

mtn_boy, that is exactly what I have been doing for many years. I have two pair of RayBan's, one dark and one yellow, that I have had for about thirty years. I bought them at a Navy Exchange somewhere. The problem now is they seem "heavy" on my old nose. I have been wearing the new fangled throw-down glasses for a two or three years and the rubber nose pieces on them have spoiled my nose. The new type is lighter and softer. I keep the RayBan's in the truck now and only wear them occasionally, because they hurt my nose. Gettin' old ain't for sissy's.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:05 pm

I guess I am coming into this chat a bit late.

I love the Ray Ban Aviators, but I need prescription lenses to drive. I took a pair with normal plastic over wire ear pieces, not the springy wire hooks, to my optician and had him grind a set of lenses to my prescription but tinted the same as the aviators, with UV filtering that made him happy.
I can put them on without removing my helmet, and as an added bonus they are plastic lenses with anti scratch, anti glare coating so they are much lighter than the glass aviator lenses. I keep the case with a soft polishing cloth in the trunk with my non tinted glasses for after dark.

I suppose one could even have progressive lenses ground for these since the lens is so large.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”