Wet here in the Southwest...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
El Taco
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Wet here in the Southwest...

Postby El Taco » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:13 pm

The rain is coming down steadily, the desert soaking up the moisture like a sponge. The western rim of the Sacramento mountains stands shrouded in mist outside my window. I'm quickly finding out where all the leaks are here in the workshop, or so I think. Once I feel I know them all, a new one opens up. Terrible conditions for paint. The gas tank swings from the rafter, its momentum a mystery, fresh paint shining in the dark end of the room.

I take a sip from my coffee. Americanos are for the birds, I take four shots topped off with a little water. I find it hard to take my eyes off of the tank. I'm the most impatient painter, I want to put it together just as soon as it has a finish. There's a long line of smudged finishes behind me. The frame turned out fairly nice. I sanded and re-coated a few places where the light will reflect from it. It looks fairly sad, all naked in the middle of the room. I keep thinking "This is going to be a Gold Wing?" Hard to tell for most at this point, I'm sure. Of course, most wouldn't be able to tell the engine on the bench is a Honda if it weren't stamped on the valve covers. Fortunately, this project is here to impress myself, and not the ignorant masses. My mind conjures imagery of the polished valve covers flirting inches from the asphalt through the tight mountain curves not far away, I can nearly feel the power of the engine beneath me and hear the unformity of four cylinders firing in their droning symphony up the slope.

And there sits the naked frame that'll take me there. The rain comes down harder, I empty my cup. I'm going to go reload the machine for another four shots and hope the tank can be handled when I'm done. Today would be ideal for sitting in the living room reading a good book, but I hope to have the tank and rear wheel mounted, with everything in between in place.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Re: Wet here in the Southwest...

Postby Sidcar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

At the moment there are 25 flood warnings for this country, mainly for Wales and the Northeast,
It's stopped raining were I am I'm pleased to say and the forecast for tomorrow is dry and sunny. Unfortunately the forecast for Sunday, when I'm going out on the Wing, is overcast with a side order of rain.
Current project on my Wing is fitting heated bar grips, looks like they'll be needed sooner than I thought.
Good luck with the painting.

Sid

Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Postby Randy S » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Come on guys, share a little bit of the rain will ya! We've had only 1/2 in since June. At least enough to settle the dust so I can keep the bike clean.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 am

Bikes are sitting in the garage just waiting for me. Nothing left to do to them except more polish time. Going to polish the paint off if the rain doesn't stop. There they sit and here I sit. In the last two days 5 inches has fallen. Oh well, we desperately need the rain.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:13 am

Wow, and here in the NW states where it is supposed to rain all the time (that is what we tell the Californians so that they do not move up, and I can say that since I am an ex-Cali), we have not had any large measurable rain amounts since July? I have to cut the lawn one last time I believe today then out in the shop again on the bike. I should not be wrenching in the summer, but new(used) bike to me needed the attention. UGH!

Taco....keep the stories coming bud, really going to like what we are going to see I think.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 am

I stayed with friends just outside San Francisco last weekend. It was such beautiful, cloudless, sunny weather, yet I hardly saw any bikes. I said, "if we had a day as nice as this at home, easily half the vehicles on the road would be motorcycles."

My friend looked at me kind of strange and replied, "this isn't a nice day. It's like this EVERY day. It hasn't rained since April."

Since I returned home, we've had two full days where it DIDN'T rain.

Sigh.

El Taco

Postby El Taco » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:34 am

Sun is bright over the high desert today, the Rim is framed with clouds. The missus wants to go do some four wheeling and visit Cloudcroft. Think, y'all. It'll be 80 down here today, but the high up there will compete with those of you in the northwestern states. I've got my thermals on, about to go bolt in the front driveshaft on the Jeep.

I've been into motorcycles for ten years or better. 4X4 is a hobby that came in the last five, and true to form, I built the Jeep as well.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:36 am

El Taco wrote:Sun is bright over the high desert today, the Rim is framed with clouds. The missus wants to go do some four wheeling and visit Cloudcroft. Think, y'all. It'll be 80 down here today, but the high up there will compete with those of you in the northwestern states. I've got my thermals on, about to go bolt in the front driveshaft on the Jeep.

I've been into motorcycles for ten years or better. 4X4 is a hobby that came in the last five, and true to form, I built the Jeep as well.

Pictures, please! :)

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:46 am

Like weather in the NW......60 degrees outside and I have my shorts on. Weather is whaat you make it, lol.

Admin - I came from the Bay Area (east of SF) and I was riding all the time through south of SF and over to the coast heading to Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz and further south....agreed even with good weather there were not that many bikes on the road. I would be jumping all over that riding season, I was able to ride 10 months out of the year, not nowadays, lol.

El Taco

Postby El Taco » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:30 pm

This is the Jeep on Calico Peak, which is not far from home. It began life in 1996 as a two wheel drive my mother drove off the lot. At around 150K miles, it got intimate with the running gear out from under an 89, and at around 200K, it got lifted for 32" Michelins on 17s. Has six leaves and coilovers in the back.

The Interstate is gone, but there's a glimpse of the 83 K-10 in waiting. It already has a TBI 350 with a hot cam and open plane intake, plus three inch aluminized dual exhaust with turbos. It's waiting for me to have the space to park it here. Once I'm on a big enough place with some security, I'll finish it up with a TH400/NP205 and 3/4 ton springs and axles.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:32 pm

It has been raining for the last few days here in the More North of Toronto part of Ontario, however our association had the annual "color run" yesterday, and we rode about 250 miles in the rain to view the changing colors in our area. We have participants from 400 and 500 miles away who ride here in order to ride again, but through the beautiful colorful country side with us. Rain or shine, we ride it. Our riding season is too short to waste. I have attended the Golden Aspen Rally in Alamagordo several times, and the Aspens get really pretty with color also.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

El Taco

Postby El Taco » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:43 pm

themainviking wrote:It has been raining for the last few days here in the More North of Toronto part of Ontario, however our association had the annual "color run" yesterday, and we rode about 250 miles in the rain to view the changing colors in our area. We have participants from 400 and 500 miles away who ride here in order to ride again, but through the beautiful colorful country side with us. Rain or shine, we ride it. Our riding season is too short to waste. I have attended the Golden Aspen Rally in Alamagordo several times, and the Aspens get really pretty with color also.

I don't know if I'm going to make it. My engine is still on the bench, and suddenly I notice a clutch problem. At this point, I'm hoping to have it on the road by late November to make a run up to Santa Fe. Nobody here has called me back for work, so I guess by tomorrow evening I'll be on the road for Odessa Texas. I'll spend a week there collecting funds, and come back with the better majority of my 1975 GL for parts.

The missus really doesn't want me to bring back the whole bike, but I'd ought just to haul the tow bar and bring it back on the wheel. I built this thing to haul the '77 up here from back home, here's a pic with the first bike I hauled on it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:52 am

No, no, no! You cannot tow a Goldwing with the rear wheel on the ground like that.

The output portion of the transmission will be turning as the rear wheel turns, and it depends on the lubrication coming from the oil, which won't be there, because the engine-driven oil pumps won't be operating. You can do serious, permanent damage to the transmission by doing this.

El Taco

Postby El Taco » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:15 am

I'll take that into consideration in the future. It doesn't take much to pull the final drive, and the pinion adapter, then put the drive back together.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”