rain and windshield


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
seeberluca
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Cavalese , TN ITALY
Motorcycle: GL1800 2007 Navi Airbag ABS
kymco 150 to go to the garage to pick up the GL

rain and windshield

Postby seeberluca » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:58 am



In the 1990/1991 I had a gl 1200 than due to personal problems I had to sell it. Now I got again a GL the 1500 se 1999.
Well , may be in the past I drove the 1200 in good weather condition and I did not feel the problem , but now, with the 1500 I notice that driving in the rain is really difficult for the visibility.
I forgot even the numbers of times I drove in the rain i the last two months and all the times it was quite impossible to see trough the windshield clearly enough to say I'm driving safely.
Do you know some product or some trick to avoid or reduce this problem? :)



User avatar
Phunnybone
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 3:48 am
Location: Rock Hill SC
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)
Contact:

Re: rain and windshield

Postby Phunnybone » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:36 am

The least expensive way is Lemon Pledge (yes, furniture polish) - either old style or the new multi-purpose. There's also http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/rainc.php which works well, but is kinda on the expensive side.

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: rain and windshield

Postby dingdong » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:50 am

Here in the Product Review section Admin speaks of the same product. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6924
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
seeberluca
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Cavalese , TN ITALY
Motorcycle: GL1800 2007 Navi Airbag ABS
kymco 150 to go to the garage to pick up the GL

Re: rain and windshield

Postby seeberluca » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:20 am

dingdong wrote:Here in the Product Review section Admin speaks of the same product. http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6924

Thanks a lot I missed the post. :oops:

thetomtom
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: Durham
Motorcycle: 1995 SE 1500
1981 1100

Re: rain and windshield

Postby thetomtom » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:11 am

furniture polish every day if need be and half way on the trip if needed.

User avatar
st4r50
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:25 pm
Location: Timberville, VA
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Re: rain and windshield

Postby st4r50 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:43 am

Lower the height of the windshield so you can see over it.
KG4USG
73

User avatar
rooferx
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:56 pm
Location: pasadena,,MD
Motorcycle: 95 aspy

Re: rain and windshield

Postby rooferx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:23 am

Coulda used a majic potion yesterday ohio to baltimore in the rain..

georgestoy
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Harrisonville, Mo
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing

Re: rain and windshield

Postby georgestoy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:44 am

We have a '91 Goldwing trike. We just bought a new windshield but we are having trouble keeping it up. Its like the locks aren't catching completely. Any suggestions or tips?

User avatar
seeberluca
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Cavalese , TN ITALY
Motorcycle: GL1800 2007 Navi Airbag ABS
kymco 150 to go to the garage to pick up the GL

Re: rain and windshield

Postby seeberluca » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 am

st4r50 wrote:Lower the height of the windshield so you can see over it.

It does not make too much sense,
why should I loose the goldwing windshield benefits trying to see over It and get all the wind/rain on my helmet? :o

User avatar
riffraff
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 4:13 am
Location: boston,mass
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Re: rain and windshield

Postby riffraff » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:49 pm

If the angle of the windshield is correct, you should be fine looking over the top. At speed everyting will be going over your head unless it's really pouring. If it's raining so hard that you can't see you should pull over and wait it out. :)

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: rain and windshield

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 pm

riffraff wrote:If the angle of the windshield is correct, you should be fine looking over the top. At speed everyting will be going over your head unless it's really pouring. If it's raining so hard that you can't see you should pull over and wait it out. :)


I sure agree with this post. :)
WA9FWT Phil

User avatar
st4r50
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:25 pm
Location: Timberville, VA
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Re: rain and windshield

Postby st4r50 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:15 pm

seeberluca wrote:
st4r50 wrote:Lower the height of the windshield so you can see over it.

It does not make too much sense,
why should I loose the goldwing windshield benefits trying to see over It and get all the wind/rain on my helmet? :o



Give it a try, what's the worst thing that can happen...you'll get wet? You may be surprised at what you see, or that you can see. I didn't say take the windshield off, just lower it till you can see over it. It's far safer to be a little wet and be able to see where you are going than riding blindly and likely just as wet.
KG4USG
73

User avatar
seeberluca
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Cavalese , TN ITALY
Motorcycle: GL1800 2007 Navi Airbag ABS
kymco 150 to go to the garage to pick up the GL

Re: rain and windshield

Postby seeberluca » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:08 am

st4r50 wrote:
seeberluca wrote:
st4r50 wrote:Lower the height of the windshield so you can see over it.

It does not make too much sense,
why should I loose the goldwing windshield benefits trying to see over It and get all the wind/rain on my helmet? :o



Give it a try, what's the worst thing that can happen...you'll get wet? You may be surprised at what you see, or that you can see. I didn't say take the windshield off, just lower it till you can see over it. It's far safer to be a little wet and be able to see where you are going than riding blindly and likely just as wet.


First I will try a rain coating or something like it than I can try your method: may be my windshield will not go so low to let me see over it Or I'm not tall enough to see over it :D

Ghostrider52005
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Olive Hill Kentucky
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Re: rain and windshield

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:13 am

I am thinking myself of lowering the shield on my LTD. actually cutting it down a bit. At its lowest setting the line of the top of the windshield is directly across my line of sight.
Im 6 ft 3 but apparently Im built like a taranonsaurus or whatever. All legs and no torso : :lol: lol:
Having never attempted cutting a shield down though im sort of hesitant to do it because id rather not have to buy a windshield if I mess it up. Ive read of others doing it but there wasnt much detail as to how they did it.

User avatar
Blackngold
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 10:11 pm
Location: Fairhope, Alabama
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Re: rain and windshield

Postby Blackngold » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:21 am

Ghostrider52005 wrote:I am thinking myself of lowering the shield on my LTD. actually cutting it down a bit. At its lowest setting the line of the top of the windshield is directly across my line of sight.
Im 6 ft 3 but apparently Im built like a taranonsaurus or whatever. All legs and no torso : :lol: lol:
Having never attempted cutting a shield down though im sort of hesitant to do it because id rather not have to buy a windshield if I mess it up. Ive read of others doing it but there wasnt much detail as to how they did it.

Several methods come to mind,all of which require a degree of skill--chainsaw--plasma tourch--ect.. But seriously if you have access to a table band saw with a fine tooth blade,clearly mark the shield,lay shield on a soft towel/cloth this will help manuver as you cut, then file down edges and finish off with a little fine grit wet sandpaper. I'm sure there are other ways but I'd give this a try if I wanted to shorten shield. Good Luck.

User avatar
st4r50
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:25 pm
Location: Timberville, VA
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Re: rain and windshield

Postby st4r50 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:11 am

I use a jigsaw when I cut mine down. Mask off inside and out. Draw your pattern, fine toothed blade, slack in cord, make cut. Let the saw go at its own pace. Not too fast or slow. After cutting sand with drywall sponge unless it's really rough then you may need to start with coarse paper.
KG4USG
73

Ghostrider52005
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Olive Hill Kentucky
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Re: rain and windshield

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks for the tips. Since being put in traction to lengthen my neck doesnt sound very appealing cutting down is likely what I will do.
I am wondering if one could not cut the bottom and simply lengthen the bolt and screw slots instead of cutting the top???? :?




Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests