Mouseproofed?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Mouseproofed?

Postby Randy S » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:40 am

23 dollars worth of lift slings & chain repair links from Harbor Freight might keep the little buggers out. What do you think guys?
Mouseproofed?
Mouseproofed?
Actually I'm getting ready to take the wheels off and put on new tires. Hopefully I've solved the mouse problem by using a trick the farmers around here use in their combines. They throw in some Bounce dryer sheets. This seems to keep the rodents from moving in and chowing down on the wiring. They say other brands won't work, only Bounce. I put one on top of the air cleaner and they've left it alone for 2 weeks. Used to take a couple of days for them to move in.

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Mouseproofed?

Postby wally » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:32 am

We use Bounce sheets all through our camper trailer, seems to be working. My son had mice chew right through his air box on his bike to make a nest and that was 1/8" thick plastic. How high can your mice jump? You are certainly making it a challenge for them to get at your bike!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 am

I put wire mesh over the intake for my air box to keep them out:

Easy to remove and replace if it should ever rust (which it shouldn't, as it's galvanized/coated).

I'm more worried about wiring than air filters - air filters are easy to replace. Wiring takes time and money to repair. I trust my peanut-butter baited snap traps. In many years, they have never failed me.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:56 pm

I can't help but to laugh at this post....Funny stuff :lol: :lol: get a cat man... :lol: :shock:

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:08 pm

It's not so funny when you see the damage those infernal little critters do. We have been having a time with them in our travel trailer every year. They only need a very small hole or crack to squeeze through and love warmth or just shelter.

I'm going to have to try the Bounce sheets. I had heard of using Irish Spring bars from car restorers and tried it. They don't work. We tried them. We just had fresher smelling mouse pee everywhere.

We have a cat along with the German Shepherd. The dog used to catch some mice outside before she got old and basically doesn't give a patoot any more. The cat is too busy catching chipmunks.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 am

Don't know how high they can jump, but they can climb. Watch out they don't crawl along the rafters then down to the bike! :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:06 am

riffraff wrote:Don't know how high they can jump, but they can climb. Watch out they don't crawl along the rafters then down to the bike! :)

I've seen them run up walls. No idea what they are hanging on to, but they do it.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:12 am

Commando mice... :lol: Ranger mouse reporting for wire eating duty.. :lol: Sorry guys I'm not making fun of anyones mishap, but when I saw the bike in the air like that I started laughing as many of you did I'm sure, You're right if it happened to me I wouldn't he laughing I know and I 'm sorry :lol: :lol: but this post is so funny to me.... :lol: I'm sure the wire mess works well too... :lol: :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Commando mice... :lol: Ranger mouse reporting for wire eating duty.. :lol: Sorry guys I'm not making fun of anyones mishap, but when I saw the bike in the air like that I started laughing as many of you did I'm sure, You're right if it happened to me I wouldn't he laughing I know and I 'm sorry :lol: :lol: but this post is so funny to me.... :lol: I'm sure the wire mess works well too... :lol: :lol:

It reminded me of the contraptions my father comes up with trying to keep the squirrels and bears out of his bird feeder. Each version of the contraption ends up being thwarted by squirrels who have amazing acrobatic ability, or bears, who are simply masters of destruction. He'll then add new features to the contraption, and try again. Greased spinning pipes, things suspended on wires from trees, sheet metal mounted around poles, even electrified grids - it's entertaining to watch the squirrels spend an afternoon figuring out how to get around the latest addition, flying through the air, doing wild contortions until they figure out the proper sequence to get to the prize.

You never see how the bears get to the feeder - you just find the remains of the contraption and the feeder on the ground in the morning. :)

My mom just shakes her head at the ugliness of the latest contraption hanging from the tree. My dad is determined. :)

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:25 pm

A few years ago a girl at work asked me to look at her GM car's air conditioner. I quickly found that the fan was not working. Then I determined the fan's relay was not working. All the signals were there but the relay was simply not switching. I could jump it and make the fan run. I removed the plastic housing of the relay to find it completely PACKED with fire ants! What on earth would make a colony of ants travel up inside an automobile's engine compartment, squeeze through the tiny opening of an electromagnetic relay and just fill it full of themselves? The corona? Scent of ozone?

About a year ago I had a 220V circuit inside my house fail. Half of the circuit (120V) remained on but the other half was dead. I replaced the circuit breaker and restored the circuit. Just for curiosity I drilled the rivets and opened up the old breaker. Again, an insect of some sort was lodged between the contacts, thereby insulating one contact from the other. What would attract an insect to the voltage and/or currant?

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Texas Commando ants and bugs... :shock: :lol: :lol: Weird is it...

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Osage Oranges. I put them around in the garage and have NEVER seen a mouse. And it helps with the spiders too.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Ah, now to insect adventures, huh?

We have a 24" travel trailer. You guys likely know that the A/C unit is roof mounted on RVs. Well, a couple years ago, I was doing routine servicing before one of our jaunts to spend the weekend at Michigan International Speedway. I got to checking the A/C and the compressor kicked on, but not the blower fan. "Crap" I said (well, not exactly that word, but you get the jist). I climbed on the roof and took the cover off and figured that a mud wasp colony built a nest there and jammed the fan. They do that, you know. Nothing was found and the fan spun freely. I then uncovered the electrics which was inside a metal box next to the main A/C unit and lo and behold...it was jammed with dead ladybugs. They were bridging the circuits and disabled the fan. After a brisk cleaning and spraying some electronic cleaner about the contacts, everything went back to working just fine again.

We had an even better adventure with black ants when we had our pop up trailer. I'd like to be able to forget about that episode.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 am

Well one of the only times I ever lied to my children was when I went out to start my truck and I heard something flip flop around in the engine area, oh crap, one of the kittens climbed in the engine area and was camping out, I freakin killed one of my daughters kittens, crap man, I still feel bad over that..Major mistake...I opened the hood and kitten hair everywhere...Wasn't funny at all that day...It sucked..Then on top of that I had to lie to my girls, we had a barn cat see and her kitten were out there, I had no idea they would climb up there like that, never thought about it..For a year I checked my oil everyday just in case.. :shock: :shock:

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:12 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Well one of the only times I ever lied to my children was when I went out to start my truck and I heard something flip flop around in the engine area, oh ****, one of the kittens climbed in the engine area and was camping out, I freakin killed one of my daughters kittens, **** man, I still feel bad over that..Major mistake...I opened the hood and kitten hair everywhere...Wasn't funny at all that day...It sucked..Then on top of that I had to lie to my girls, we had a barn cat see and her kitten were out there, I had no idea they would climb up there like that, never thought about it..For a year I checked my oil everyday just in case.. :shock: :shock:

A guy I work with had a similar experience. It was the family cat though. He started the truck, heard a loud MEOOOOWWWWW. He shut off the truck in time to see the cat scooting across the yard. When he got home and seen the cat it was o.k. Had some spots with no fur and looked like he got caught in a..............truck engine. Dumb animals.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Funny No one mentioned " Moth-Balls I use them to this day in my garage,Just don't use them in the house.
In fact one can spread them around the out side of any building, and it keeps those mice out!
I don't like the smell my self :lol: :lol:

WA9FWT Phil

Randy S

Postby Randy S » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:23 pm

No sign of mouse nests yet, but who knew the little buggers could use tools?
Attachments

pudd750
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate
1980 GN400
1979 CB750
1996 1200 Sportster
1961 T120R sold
1975 Norton sold
1972 Moto Guzzi 750
1976 Goldwing sold
1972 SL125 sold
Honda Fat Cat
RD350 sold

Postby pudd750 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:18 pm

they were able to get into the drivebelt chamber on our Honda Cub- its a 90cc auto with a variable belt- meece ate the belt almost in half- i put some steel wool in the 2 snorkels on my 1200 but too much restriction it didnt run good so ill get some hardware cloth and make up a couple pcs slightly bigger than the snorkels and press em in - and get a box of Bounce- luckily no wire damage yet
i watched a mouse walking on a garages inside wall a week ago-

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Mouse bike strippers. I'd love to hear the BOLO (be on the lookout) after that report was taken. :P

The wife scattered Bounce sheets all over the inside of the travel trailer after we did find one possible entry route at the water heater and took care of it. So far, no meeces to speak of or evidence thereof.

56elwood
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level 2

Postby 56elwood » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:47 am

Now that car manufacturer's are using wiring with soy based plastics the problem has gotten worse. Here is an example of what Honda is doing to remedy this problem. It's actually a tape that wraps around wiring, it contains a form of pepper that mice and such don't like so they won't eat
the insulation. You can purchase this at a Honda car dealer.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-TAPE ... -2317.aspx

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:57 am

56elwood wrote:Now that car manufacturer's are using wiring with soy based plastics the problem has gotten worse. Here is an example of what Honda is doing to remedy this problem. It's actually a tape that wraps around wiring, it contains a form of pepper that mice and such don't like so they won't eat

Now that's a brilliant idea! I love it!

pudd750
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate
1980 GN400
1979 CB750
1996 1200 Sportster
1961 T120R sold
1975 Norton sold
1972 Moto Guzzi 750
1976 Goldwing sold
1972 SL125 sold
Honda Fat Cat
RD350 sold

Postby pudd750 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:03 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
56elwood wrote:Now that car manufacturer's are using wiring with soy based plastics the problem has gotten worse. Here is an example of what Honda is doing to remedy this problem. It's actually a tape that wraps around wiring, it contains a form of pepper that mice and such don't like so they won't eat

Now that's a brilliant idea! I love it!

hmmm wondering if i could spray pepper spray on the bikes wires and then when they come sniffin theyll get a surprise- its got cayenne etc in it- all future messing with the wires would require washing the hands before touching anything else like your nose etc

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:34 pm

Here is some further info on mouse repellants:

How to Repel Mice?

Finding that a mouse has taken up residence in your home is never a pleasant experience. These troublesome critters can make life a nuisance, breeding and multiplying, scurrying across your kitchen countertops and contaminating your food. Don’t throw up your hands in frustration. Send these rogue rodents packing with a few strategic moves.

Peppermint or Spearmint Oil

Mice are repulsed by the smell of peppermint and spearmint. Some experts even report that they are allergic to the scent. Use a small amount of concentrated peppermint or spearmint oil sprinkled on cotton balls to keep the mice from entering your home. Strategically place the cotton balls in areas that mice prefer, such as under cabinets, behind stoves and refrigerators and in corners. Mice have a keen sense of smell, so it only takes a few drops to send them scurrying in the other direction. Beware that the mice will reappear when the smell dissipates, so make sure to refresh the cotton balls periodically to keep your home mouse-free.

Fabric Softener Sheets

Many people swear by fabric softener sheets as an effective means to repel mice from their homes. Mice do not like the smell of fabric softener sheets, and will move elsewhere to find food and water. Place fabric softener sheets strategically around your home. Make sure to distribute them evenly around the house. You don’t want to inadvertently direct them to a different part of the home to seek refuge from the smell. Mice may become acclimated to the smell after prolonged exposure, so be sure to refresh your dryer sheets often for maximum effectiveness.

Electronic Mouse Repellant
Sponsored Links

Electronic devices work by projecting a high-pitched noise that only mice can hear. This eardrum-blasting noise sends the mice running for the nearest exit as the sound is unbearable to their sensitive ears. Electronic mouse repellants usually plug into a standard outlet, and will not interfere with your home’s electrical system. Although the frequency of the electronic mouse repellant is too high to be picked up by the human ear, it may be perceptible to your small rodent pets, such as hamsters, gerbils and guinea pigs. These devices are safe for use around larger pets such as dogs and cats.

Fox Urine/Rodent Powders

Powdered rodent repellant works by mimicking the scent of animals that are a mouse’s natural predator, such as bobcats, foxes and wolves. This concentrated powder has a smell imperceptible to humans, but easily picked up by the rodent’s sensitive nose. Sprinkle rodent powder around the perimeter of your home to keep mice out, and in the interior to drive out existing mice. Fox urine works in the same manner, giving the mouse the impression that a predator is lurking nearby. Some experts report that spraying fox urine or sprinkling rodent powder has limited effectiveness, as mice will start to return after a period of time if they don’t actually see a fox or cat. Rodent powder and fox urine is available at most hardware
stores.

Guard the Perimeter

Keep mice out of your home by finding their points of entry and closing them off to a critter infestation. Look around the exterior of your home for cracks in the foundation, small holes and openings where mice may be entering. Seal cracks tightly, as mice have been known to chew through hard substances to gain access to homes. Be sure to rid your home of existing mice, as you may also prevent mice from exiting when you seal off the points of entry.

Many people wonder how to repel mice from their home, and agonize over this pesky problem. By following a few simple steps, you can be well on your way to a mouse free home in no time.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Randy S

Postby Randy S » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:37 pm

Finally finished repairs this morning & got Wing "off the hook". Don't know if it was the altitude or the dryer sheet but no sign of mice after almost two months in the shop. We'll see how it does now in the open garage.

kerrsys
Motorcycle: 2010 gl1800

Postby kerrsys » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 am

Moth balls...If you can stand the smell, they'll keep 'em away. Just put them around your bike. I use a plastic container of 'em with holes punched through. Seem to do the trick.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”