Those who ride, understand

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Those who ride, understand

Postby tom84std » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:55 am

Those who don't, don't.

I just got off the phone with a woman who was my sister in law for 24 years, long ago. She expressed happiness that I had survived the bad crash last April. I had crashed the very bike that I had spent the entire winter building inside my house. I told her that I have nearly finished rebuilding the BSA and it's almost ready to ride again, but in the mean time I've still got my big Honda to make my trips to Colorado and back on. She was shocked that I would even consider riding a motorcycle again after spending a month hospitalized badly injured for the second time in my life. "When are you going to learn your lesson?"
I've had one friend who was severly injured in an automobile accident. Just the other day I lost a good long-time friend who simply collapsed dead inside his own home. Another became helpless and commited suicide by starving himself two years ago.
Why should I stop doing the one thing I enjoy the most simply because I can be harmed while doing it?
I say "I wanna ride!"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Those who ride, understand

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:38 am

I agree. I know very well that there are risks involved in riding. I do what I can to minimize those risks. But I choose to expose myself to those risks, so that I can enjoy what I love to do.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:04 am

Same here, I spent 3 months in hospital and another 6 months recovering from a bad wreck (Brock my back in 4 places, pelvis, left leg, 4 ribs, collar bone (Right side), shattered right wrist and dislocated my right shoulder. Was physically screwed to my bed so I couldn't move whilst my back healed, then wore a massive head support for 6 weeks whilst the muscles started to recover, swore I would never ride a bike again, but by the time the physio was over (9 months after the accident), I was back on a bike and hope that I won't ever stop until they plant me 6 foot underground.. Each to their own, but I love the saying " I refuse to live carefully, only to arrive at deaths door in good health!", and that's how I live!! :lol:

Gary

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:18 pm

i had an accident on my '75 cb 750 back around '86 at the time my dad was drinking real heavy. my mom, sisters, and brothers gave me the usual " why don't you get rid if that thing befroe you get killed. living in an apartment at the time i had to put the bike in my dads garage. after getting the bike in the garage my dad said to me that i should sell my bike for parts. i told him that i was going to fix it and ride it. he said "why? you should give up riding " and i said to him " you give up your bad habit and i'll give up mine " he understood and never asked me to stop riding again
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:47 pm

I have had three major (what I call major) motorcycle accidents and walked away from all three - minus some pounds of flesh - but I walked away. First one, the bike was destroyed, and the man who hit me from behind went to jail... Second one did $5200 damage and it took us a year to find the guy who hit me from behind with his Cadillac, and the third one was my fault. I was not in a frame of mind to be riding and I caved in the back of a van with my body, and sheared off the controls and saddlebags from the left side of the motorcycle, but no more damage than that. So, each time there was less damage to the bikes but more damage to my person. I figure if I keep it up, next time or the time after that, there will be absolutely no damage to the bike, but I may not walk away. Too bad that. Will it stop me from riding - oh hell no. That is what I do. Those who ride understand and those who don't - can't.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:03 pm

I survived one bad wreck, and before that one I told my wife, friends and kids, that I know I am taking a risk. Anybody that rides has to realise that. No, I dont WANT to die, that is why I ride defensably. But if a sailor is afraid of water he will always stay on the beach. I have heard the same thing, when are you going to learn? If I die doing something I enjoy then I went to my place of rest(whereever that may be)with a smile on my face.
Proud member Patriot Guard

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:54 pm

I ride because the pleasure it gives me FAR outweighs the risk I take to have that much fun, period. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Everyone has something that they love, and gives them pleasure. What we choose just happens to have an inherent danger that comes with it. There's always gonna be nay sayers! Let em rant. I won't stop till I'm wearing a toe tag! :lol:

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:17 am

Ive never really had a bad crash on the highway. Some very close calls, sliding across two lanes in a curve on gravel at 55 two up, ran over a large dog with the wing pretty sure any other smaller bike would have been taken down, and my knee brushing the ribs of a deer at 65 mph come to mind. :o
Knock on wood ive been riding most of my life on something and other than off road crashes minor fall overs etc Ive been lucky I suppose.
I would guess if and when i have a bad crash it would be like when I rode and trained horses when i was much younger. Wasnt so lucky with that. Fractured skull, broken ribs, etc etc etc and once I could i was always back in the saddle because then thats what i loved to do.
At over the past few years I have straddled the wing after surgeries much to soon I suppose when I could barely hold it up and wasnt entirely sure I could ride it without dumping it but I could only go so long without riding or go nuts.
At 54 I suppose things wont heal back like before and should I take a wicked fall I may could not get back on though I would want too. guess i would have to commandeer the wifes trike at that point :lol:

Oddbirdwithbrokewing
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000
1983 gl1100A Aspencade

Postby Oddbirdwithbrokewing » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:19 am

I've never had a bad accident. I had one stupid one though. I went over the handle bars of my 76 sportster after not remembering to put my kickstand up. It was relatively low speed, left turn. Landed on my shoulder and rolled to my feet. I was very sore a day or so later. That was many years ago in college.
I have developed a philosophy over the years of totally accepting the responsibility of my own safety while riding. When that vehicle driver makes that poor decision to left turn....my fault...should have been aware. It is one of the reasons riding is so exhilarating to me. Trying to be hyper aware and identifying the potential dangers that are almost always present has the benefit of not only keeping me alive but also making me feel alive. I remember a Pink Panther movie where he has a fellow he has employed to try to attack him by surprise...same principle here. Someone or something out there is trying to ruin my day. My Job? Don't let them and don't help them.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:53 am

I ride because I want to, :) and that I still can at age 73. :shock: " O " ya, been in and out of ditches, slid across Hiways too.

WA9FWT Phil

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:57 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I agree. I know very well that there are risks involved in riding. I do what I can to minimize those risks. But I choose to expose myself to those risks, so that I can enjoy what I love to do.

I ride because I can’t afford to play that much golf! LOL!!
I lost my daughter when she was 27 to drowning on father’s day in 2000 when my wife, her and her husband and I were kayaking on a river in Wisconsin. Her and him were both certified divers and excellent swimmers but it didn’t matter. I lost my niece and her husband to a motorcycle accident when a guy hit them head on and my family tells me all the time that we should stop riding my motorcycle. So my point is: you never know when it is “Your time” Enjoy what time you have left!!! And KEEP RIDING!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:22 pm

I understand in 07 I was run over by a tri axle roof boom truck from behind. Damn it hurt.. LOL Lucky to be here but I had to ride man. My mother had a fit. I guess she'll get over it or be mad a long time.Everyone yapping at my wife your going to let him ride motorcycle again? She'd look at them a say I'm not letting him do any thing it's his choice. If you fell off a horse you get back on..I'm not tip toeing though life to end up on death door step healthy. Ride SALLY Ride..Maybe that's why people call me Sally ??? :lol: :lol:

WVJefo
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade "The 12"
1994 1500 Aspencade "The Black

Postby WVJefo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Never really had a bad accident. Dented the bike, scratched my ass up a little. Love to ride. But to this day. when I start up the bike I say a little prayer, take three deep breaths, double check the kickstand and mirrors. I am a bit nervous about a total of 1/2 ton (me & bike) on two wheels and being a clown on a unicycle to all those cagers.

It takes three seconds after the bike is moving to remember why I ride.

Jefo

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:53 am

You wouldn't believe how many times in the last three months that I have heard someone tell me I shouldn't ride any more. Just because I got unlucky twice in one year. :cry: I have put thousands of miles on two wheels, and am not ready to stop yet. :) Maybe when I can no longer hold it up, :roll: then I may just go to a trike. Riding my GoldWing is in my blood, and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. :D It only makes me think more about the people I see wearing no safety equipment, and what shape they would have been in, had they had accidents like mine. :? I will try to post some pictures of my safety gear once I figure out how to get back to them on my computer. :lol: I know they are in there somewhere! ;)
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:27 am

I know a few riders that have dropped their bikes, usually in an unusual turn and riding two up. They have gotten to the point that they can't handle the bike safely. But when asked if they ever thought about switching to a trike, they become upset and belligerent. But if they would just try it out, instead some just park the bikes, eventually selling them. Is riding a trike really that big of a hit to your ego? I would rather ride a trike and be able to ride then to not ride at all or not ride safely. I am sure there will come a time in my life, if I have survived that long, that I will have to park the trike. But until then I will enjoy riding as much as mother nature and the Good Lord will let me.

dennislp
Motorcycle: 90 1500 se

Postby dennislp » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:00 pm

had a very bad one in the 70s took a while to be able to walk again your bones should not be sticking out all over your pants. still ride . I have a bunch of friends into horses they think bikes will hurt you . I have over 200,000 miles and many years sence that last wreck and no problems .there horses are always hurting them.i keep riding they keep healing up from there horses .whos unsafe?

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:08 pm

bustedwing wrote:I know a few riders that have dropped their bikes, usually in an unusual turn and riding two up. They have gotten to the point that they can't handle the bike safely. But when asked if they ever thought about switching to a trike, they become upset and belligerent. But if they would just try it out, instead some just park the bikes, eventually selling them. Is riding a trike really that big of a hit to your ego? I would rather ride a trike and be able to ride then to not ride at all or not ride safely. I am sure there will come a time in my life, if I have survived that long, that I will have to park the trike. But until then I will enjoy riding as much as mother nature and the Good Lord will let me.

I loved your note Busterwing, as you can see I ride a trike, and it was the best thing I ever did. All of the above happenings also happened to me. My ego was pushed to the side if I wanted to ride again with the wife. And at 75 years of age, I too will keep ridding as long as I can.

I just lost my ridding companion two days after Christmas ( my step son age 40 ) He drove a Harley and we had many a nice ride over the years. I sure will miss him, and now I have his Harley, but that bike is lower to the ground, and I can handle it. Too early to tell what we are going to do with that Bike. All I can say is the best thing I ever did to install the extra wheels on my Goldwing to ride with the wife.

73 WA9FWT Phil

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:58 pm

I am very sorry to hear that, Phil. No time of the year is a good time to loose someone close to you, but Christmas or near it is worse. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You can always train your wife to ride the trike and you on the HD , or trade it in on another trike so both of you can trike together. Just some thoughts. Ride safe.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:54 am

I've never been down "hard" enough to break bones. I put one in a ditch and have had many close calls (mostly 4-wheeler mishaps cause by them)... but I continue to ride for the same reason as most of you. I get all kinds of looks when the weather is cold or rainy. Many people make comments. This week, one guy told me I was the toughest guy he knew... I rode to work when it was cold out LOL... I told him you got to be tough if you're going to be dumb and kept on walking...

To ride or not to ride is personal. Many of us have lost friends, family or others we know and loved. Recently, a long-time friend lost her son-in-law in a wreck. He was wearing one of those "skid-lids" with the fake DOT sticker on it, and died due to brain trauma. Based on what I can tell, his death was unnecessary. With a decent (DOT approved) helmet, he probably survives the wreck with some road rash.. I think I'm riding as long as I can hold the bike up. I also think that we all understand that our next ride may be our last, mostly out of circumstances beyond our control. As long as we ride with as much awareness as we can muster, and take nothing for granted as far as our safety is concerned, the ride will be a long and safe one.

A few years ago, I got busted up falling off a horse. I broke two vertebrae in my neck and 4 ribs. I made a poor decision to ride bareback on a horse that I (obviously) didn't know well enough... something a 50+ year old man ought to know not to do. As I lay on the ground, trying to figure out how many parts I broke, I laughed loud enough that my wife came around the side of the barn to check on me... the horse, who had been spooked by something bad enough to bolt while I was sitting on her (and holding on to nothing) only ran a few yards and turned back to look at me. I got up, dusted myself off and walked over to her... put my arms around her neck and told her quietly that everything was okay. It wasn't her fault I rode stupidly... It took a couple of hours before the shock wore off and the pain started sinking in .. but I never blamed the horse. Same way I can't blame the motorcycle if I don't take care of it or if I ride badly and I fall off. The responsibility for my safety in every case lies with me.

I slow down at intersections to look for those who run lights and stop signs. I hesitate at green lights a few seconds to make sure the cross street traffic is going to actually STOP... I try to make eye contact for cars slowing at intersections to see if they're turning left in front of me without their signal on, and to make sure those who are signalling a turn see me and aren't going to turn in front of me blocking my lane. I try to anticipate places where DEER will likely cross roads, especially at those times of the day when we all know they are more active. I wear "riding" clothes and a decent helmet, gloves, boots... even at times when it isn't all that comfortable to wear them... We probably can't pick the time and place where bad things might happen to us if we're less than vigilant. All we can to is be as prepared as is possible for what some believe is the inevitable crash.

I think that if I believed a wreck was inevitable for me, I'd probably have to quit riding. Maybe I'm living in denial, but I believe it is possible to avoid most situations where a crash is imminent, and by riding defensively, I can keep my wheels upright. I ride like the rest of the world is really trying to kill me, and it seems to be working well for me so far...

I love to ride. I won't say that I HAVE to do it, but there are times when it feels like I'll bust if I don't....
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:17 am

dennislp wrote:had a very bad one in the 70s took a while to be able to walk again your bones should not be sticking out all over your pants. still ride . I have a bunch of friends into horses they think bikes will hurt you . I have over 200,000 miles and many years sence that last wreck and no problems .there horses are always hurting them.i keep riding they keep healing up from there horses .whos unsafe?

And I would bet dollars to donuts that not a one of them has over 200,000 miles on a horse..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

alwims
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:01 am

When I decided my disability was going to keep me from riding safely, I added outrigger wheels to my bike. At first I would take offence when someone would call them training wheels. Then I realized how much more fun having the wife on the back was as I was not worried about dropping it and her at a stoplight. Came close a couple of times hence the outriggers. Don't know if I could live with myself if I hurt her when I could have prevented it so simply. My disability causes my legs/knees to just give out without warning. I dropped the bike 9 times in 9 months, before I made the decision. I don't know if I'll be ridding at the end of this year or not, but you can bet, I'll be trying to figure it out somehow. As has been said those who don't ride will never understand.

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:27 pm

I ride because I have never had a wreck or went down. I ride because it is exhilarating :P I ride because it's a big de-stresser. I ride because I can. I would probably stop if I did have a bad wreck and then I would start again. Some people refer to motorcycles as "Widowmakers, suicide on 2 wheels", on and on and on. It could be your time if you step on the curb to fetch your mail and a giant hawk flies down , grabs you and takes you back to the nest to feed the youngsters. Live life to the fullest, if that means ride a motorcycle then so be it. If it means playing chess on a cliff, then so be it. If it means living in an unliving mode on the couch watching t.v. then so be it. Whatever floats your boat :roll: If it means floating in your boat, then so be it. Each to their own :mrgreen:
My wife will not get on a motorcycle and just the other day she mentioned she would , if it were a trike. :P One problem, No way Sleeping Beauty will let me turn her into a trike, not happening. Will have to look for a ......................... :|

alwims
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:24 pm

made2care wrote:I ride because I have never had a wreck or went down. I ride because it is exhilarating :P I ride because it's a big de-stresser. I ride because I can. I would probably stop if I did have a bad wreck and then I would start again. Some people refer to motorcycles as "Widowmakers, suicide on 2 wheels", on and on and on. It could be your time if you step on the curb to fetch your mail and a giant hawk flies down , grabs you and takes you back to the nest to feed the youngsters. Live life to the fullest, if that means ride a motorcycle then so be it. If it means playing chess on a cliff, then so be it. If it means living in an unliving mode on the couch watching t.v. then so be it. Whatever floats your boat :roll: If it means floating in your boat, then so be it. Each to their own :mrgreen:
My wife will not get on a motorcycle and just the other day she mentioned she would , if it were a trike. :P One problem, No way Sleeping Beauty will let me turn her into a trike, not happening. Will have to look for a ......................... :|

You might be surprised. I know I sure was. It's a lot more fun than I ever thought it could be. If cost is a problem check out HOBO Conversions on Facebook. He did mine for $1800 and I couldn't be happier. I have often thought, why didn't I do this sooner. Sure, you miss leaning into corners and putting your foot down into an oily mess some cager left at the stop light, but you soon learn to take corners pretty quickly and it's just a different kind of thrill. Also having Momma not hitting you on the shoulder and yelling in your ear to slow down is kind of fun too. We were going 100 mph, the other day, just out of curiosity and the wife didn't even realize it. She did ask me when we stopped and she did ask why, but I just smiled.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:23 pm

tom84std wrote:Those who don't, don't.

I just got off the phone with a woman who was my sister in law for 24 years, long ago. She expressed happiness that I had survived the bad crash last April. I had crashed the very bike that I had spent the entire winter building inside my house. I told her that I have nearly finished rebuilding the BSA and it's almost ready to ride again, but in the mean time I've still got my big Honda to make my trips to Colorado and back on. She was shocked that I would even consider riding a motorcycle again after spending a month hospitalized badly injured for the second time in my life. "When are you going to learn your lesson?"
I've had one friend who was severly injured in an automobile accident. Just the other day I lost a good long-time friend who simply collapsed dead inside his own home...

Did your injured friend stop riding in or driving a car? Should people avoid being inside houses? Same stupid logic applies. If the accident was your fault just don't do it again. If it was because of someone else, well all you can do is be more vigilant. There are risks in everything every day.

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”