Just for you Wingman!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Just for you Wingman!

Postby mtn_boy1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:18 pm

As you know, I bought a 95 1500 SE a month or so ago. About a week after I got it, my son and I were riding up our street and heard something metal hit the street. We stopped, turned around, and finally found a bolt. About 2 or 2 1/2 inches long, looked like a hardened one. I looked all under the frame and carriage for a missing bolt, nothing. So I thought it was probably one someone had dropped when working on the bike or it was laying in the road and I had just hit it. Anyway, I put the bolt in the trunk and really didn't think anything else about it. Well, the other day I was cruising thru the forum and looked at your latest how to on the front bearings. When you were doing the pinch bolts I thought 'Dang that bolt looks familiar'. Today after work I went out and looked behind the rotor covers and sure enough, I was missing one on the right side. All I got to say is you sure do take GOOD pictures. You don't know what you may have just saved. The wife and I, along with a friend and his wife, are leaving tomorrow to ride for 2 days in the NC mountains. This one's for you my friend!!!

'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: Just for you Wingman!

Postby maestro319 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Ok, I missed the thread so what are 'pinch bolts", what do they do? And, where do they go?

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:52 am

It's in the 1500 forum and they 'pinch' the forks onto the front axle. The title of the thread is "Speed wobble".
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:00 pm

I'm glad something I did was of a bit of help to you!! And that you avoided any possible disaster!

maestro319 wrote:Ok, I missed the thread so what are 'pinch bolts", what do they do? And, where do they go?

They squeeze the bottom of the fork closed, to grab the axle tightly:

They're actually used all over the bike - front and rear axles, shifter, handlebars, brake pedal, all spring to mind.

On the 1100 and 1200, there are two nuts that hold a bracket piece in place that surrounds half the axle, very much like how the handlebars are held in place:

I know of a guy who was doing an amazing 5-month, 30,000 mile ride on his GL1200 (read about it here). He had three of those four nuts loosen and fall out. He lost one of the pinch brackets, and the other one was being held (loosely) in place with one nut. When he finally discovered it, his front wheel was being held in place with one loose nut and a lot of luck.

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Wow! Good explanation and the pictures really helped. What a great forum. You guys are so knowledgeable!!

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:15 am

This trend or posting is what we all need to remind us to keep our rides in top shape.Too often we just get on and ride and ride, while not inspecting occasionelly.One has to lay down along side the bike and just check it over.

At times I do have to tighten things or make adjustments. In fact it has surprised me a number of times :o
Best to check before it's too late... :roll:
WA9FWT Phil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:12 am

WA9FWT wrote:This trend or posting is what we all need to remind us to keep our rides in top shape.Too often we just get on and ride and ride, while not inspecting occasionelly.One has to lay down along side the bike and just check it over.

At times I do have to tighten things or make adjustments. In fact it has surprised me a number of times :o
Best to check before it's too late... :roll:
WA9FWT Phil

I totally agree. I'm definitely guilty of not doing this enough. Having a tire pressure monitor makes the chore of checking tire pressures history - but that's also usually when I would check out the tires for cuts, damage, etc. so I have to force myself to do that more often. I also get into the mode of only doing a full "once over" the night before I'm going to be riding somewhere distant the next day. When I hop on to ride into work in the morning, I rarely do more than just start up and head out.

I discovered a (non-critical) missing screw yesterday while sitting in a parking lot in a park with the bikes, taking a rest with my wife. Just happened to look down and notice it. I need to check this kind of stuff more often.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”