P.Od at Cycle Gear!!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

P.Od at Cycle Gear!!

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 pm

I decided to start shopping for a rear tire for the Wing now even though the season is nearly over in these parts and the bike is laid up for repairs. Soon, we'll have to start Christmas shopping and that'll have to be more of a priority.

I am going low buck as my budget is pretty thin, but I was also looking online at reviews from past purchasers. I came upon a Shinko 712 and the price point was right. I have a $50 gift card for Cycle Gear and wanted to use it for this purchase. I got my best price I could find which was at Motorcycle Superstore. I called a Cycle Gear store which was about an hour from me and turned out that they could order it in for a couple bucks less that the best price with no shipping. When I wanted to order it, the staffer told me that they couldn't take phone orders, they weren't set up to do cards over the phone. I couldn't believe it! We do it at AZ all the time in store.

Then I decided to call their 800 number and try to get it that way. First, I couldn't find the 712 on the web site. I still called and was shocked to find that they couldn't get it through the site even though the store could get it. Huh!!??? That made absolutely no sense to me. Ok, then I asked the guy if he could find me another tire comparably priced. His idea of "comparable" was over twice the price of the 712. So, he tells me that the stores can get items that you cannot over the net or phone. WHAT?? That's completely backwards from how most any other business that has both brick & mortar stores and online/phone sales is set up.

So, I'm expected to drive two hours total and waste a big part of my day not once, but twice to buy from them. For the gas and time, I'm better off buying it from the Superstore for a few dollars more and having it delivered to my door. I have every intention of trying to contact someone at Gear higher up their food chain tomorrow before I have to go to the shop to express my "displeasure" (I'm being nice for board decorum here) with how they do business.

So much for supporting businesses that hire local people.

Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: P.Od at Cycle Gear!!

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 am

I know of quite a few online sellers (Harbor Freight, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot spring to mind) where there are frequently items that are available only online, and cannot be ordered to the store - or that are available in-store only, and can't be ordered online. However, whenever this is the case, the item is normally clearly marked as such on the web site.

I've ordered a couple times from Cycle Gear, one item of which I had to exchange for a larger size, and had good experiences - but that was all done online.

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:53 am

I just had a issue with a mail order pharmacy that my employer makes us use for regular medicine. there excuse for taking 11 days to get from IL to Nebraska was the USPS. They use UPS to take it from their warehouse and drop it at the local Post office. Then the post office "sat" on the package for not 1 day but 5! Makes me not want to EVER use a online wholesale pahrmacy ever again!
Sorry for the hi-jack but was kinda of a online purchase that went totally wrong! And, it was for a heart condition too :o

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:30 am

I know of quite a few online sellers (Harbor Freight, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot spring to mind) where there are frequently items that are available only online, and cannot be ordered to the store - or that are available in-store only, and can't be ordered online. However, whenever this is the case, the item is normally clearly marked as such on the web site.

That's how we work things at Auto Zone. We have access to a lot of non stocking items at the store also, but there's even more available through the site. Still, if a customer calls and the item he needs is vendor direct and must be pre-paid at time of order, we gladly take his credit/debit card over the phone always. They even just updated our computer system to do that even easier than it was before. Why Cycle Gear doesn't do this is a mystery to me because phone ordering is so commonplace now and is just good business. Generally, most every business with both storefronts and a web site catalog has at least the same items available through both sources and often more available through the site, not the other way around. And when I asked the guy at the 800 number to quote me a comparable priced tire that he could get, someone needs to teach him what the word "comparable" means. The last time I checked, it didn't mean over twice the price of the original thing you were inquiring about buying. That just plain got me mad.

As I often do when something business oriented gets under my skin, I called their HQ in Cali. The regional manager is supposed to get in touch with me today. This should be interesting. If he doesn't, it will get interesting for sure.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:21 am

Well, I finally heard from the district manager after I made another phone call to them asking why I hadn't heard from him within the 24 hours as I was told I would. Like you Texans, we Pennsylvanians don't give up either.

He was pretty courteous and told me that the reason they don't accept plastic over the phone is to avoid credit card fraud. I proceeded to tell him about how our system works and it's way too common for businesses to handle phone orders. They accept them on their 800 number, so it didn't make any sense to me and to continue this policy is just plain bad business. He agreed and told me that their IT people were, in fact, looking into how to change this. Whatever.

In the meantime, he offered to get me the tire through the store without me paying for it until pickup. I told him to go ahead, so I'm expecting a call very soon that it's in and will go and get it. At least I can use the gift card that's burning a hole in my wallet. I solved my immediate dilemma, but didn't solve the overall problem with them. Maybe if they get more negative feedback about their ordering policy, this might change a bit faster.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:13 am

I buy from the Superstore myself, it's painless and quick and they have never screwed up...

Return to “Goldwing Chat”