Blow-out at 50 this morning

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
rodee71
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 Interstate
1993 1500 Aspencade

Blow-out at 50 this morning

Postby rodee71 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:39 am

Morning, guys, I'm feeling pretty lucky. It rained like crazy here last nite up until about 1:00 am, but I decided that, after seeing the weather report for today (70 & mostly sunny this afternoon), I'd ride in to work. Of course, there were wet roads so I was being extra careful. Well, about a mile out, I had just shifted to 5th, at around 50, when the ugly started. I heard the "SHHHHWWWWIIISSHHH", and felt an immediate decel in my speed, a nasty wiggle in the handlebars and my first thought was "She'll kill me if I lay it down" (she being my fiance, who bought me the bike). But The good Lord was with me and it was the rear tire, so I was able to keep it up and pulled into an empty driveway and park it. I called her and was greeted with a "ARE YOU ALRIGHT?" an octave or so higher than usual. She always dreads my number popping up when I'm riding. But, alls well, my friend at work is letting me use his bike trailer to pick it up on the way home, so I drove my pickup in this morning. I won't trust AAA with it, they'd probably only send the driver to load it. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Of course, I left a note taped to the tank cover with my number on it in case anyone checks up on it. Anyway, I'm still here, and will be attending church as usual this Sunday.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Blow-out at 50 this morning

Postby Mag » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 am

I have to admit, when I needed to tow my bike to the shop, AAA did great. I had to tell them what I was riding so they would send a flat bed, but the driver I received actually had an HD and understood what needed to be done to tie my bike down.

Also, I hear ya on the call issue. When I left my wife one evening (before we were married) I called about 20 minutes after I left and first out of her mouth was "are you ok?" I told her "I hit a dog on the freeway and adrenaline is flowing, come get me, but I think I am ok". She said later she hated getting a call like that but expects it of me since I do ride.

Welcome to how our loved ones have to handle us sometimes.

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:22 am

Glad YOU and your bike made it out of a dilema that could have been way worse than that for sure!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 am

Mag wrote:Also, I hear ya on the call issue. When I left my wife one evening (before we were married) I called about 20 minutes after I left and first out of her mouth was "are you ok?" I told her "I hit a dog on the freeway and adrenaline is flowing, come get me, but I think I am ok". She said later she hated getting a call like that but expects it of me since I do ride.

When I was 17, I got hit by a pickup truck who decided it was perfectly OK to turn left in front of me without signaling. Totalled my beautiful 84 750 Interceptor, and didn't leave me in the best condition either. My mom later said, she was thrilled to get the call letting her know I was busted up, because that meant I was still alive. :)

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:22 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Mag wrote:Also, I hear ya on the call issue. When I left my wife one evening (before we were married) I called about 20 minutes after I left and first out of her mouth was "are you ok?" I told her "I hit a dog on the freeway and adrenaline is flowing, come get me, but I think I am ok". She said later she hated getting a call like that but expects it of me since I do ride.

When I was 17, I got hit by a pickup truck who decided it was perfectly OK to turn left in front of me without signaling. Totalled my beautiful 84 750 Interceptor, and didn't leave me in the best condition either. My mom later said, she was thrilled to get the call letting her know I was busted up, because that meant I was still alive. :)

I will have to share that one with my mum!! When she got the call that I was in Hospital on life support with my back broken in 4 places, both legs and numerous others bones broken, she just went white and almost fainted (according to my father).. I will have to tell her to look on the bright side.. 4 months in hospital and 30+ operations later and I was out of hospital and despite my mothers request to stop, I still ride bikes and have done for more than 35 years!! :D

Gary

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Very fortunate, indeed. Glad all of you ended up ok.

I only had one incident like this. I was riding my Yamaha XS400 with a passenger and when I downshifted to speed up and catch my riding buddy, had a sudden blowout in the rear, and I mean sudden and complete. I, also, kept it upright and was able to get off the road safely

Some say that there are those of us that have had incidents like those mentioned and those that have yet to.

When we live to ride another day, its all good.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:33 am

Rodee, A few years back I had my front tire go at 60 on a 2 lane, elevated road with dump trucks coming at me and traffic behind me. No where to go for about 200 yards. All I know is it wasn't my time. Almost went down twice. So thankful noone was riding with me. It absolutely changed the way I ride. I constantly look for an "out" when I'm riding. As in, 'if this happens, how can I get out of it'. Really glad it worked out OK for you.
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:49 am

As a neurologist and a biker I keep mental notes of bike related injuries. These are cases of survivors with brain or nerve or spinal cord injury. In other words enduring injuries yet still alive. The ICU cases are traffic related trauma that were found and transported in timely manner.

I have yet to hear of a rear tire deflation that will bring you to visit me. The front tire is the culprit.

I am scrupulous about replacing tires when the date code is 5 years old. I read the tire pressure monitoring thread but have no stories, of how this might have saved some one. Possibly it works so well that it prevents injury. Are there any anecdotes or evidence to this?

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Not sure its evidence but Ive never found a tire that would last me five months much less five years but I ride every day about all year round unless there is snow and ice on the road and usually at least 100 miles at a time.
That being said ive run a lot of different tires, pressures, loads etc. Over the years Ive learned this much about tires. Running the max cold pressure all the time even if you never are loaded to your tires max capacity just wears out the center leaving a perfectly good tire thats two inches bald in the middle.

But worse especially in hot weather highway speeds is being under inflated. Under inflated equals heat and a tire is only designed to stand so much heat before it flies apart.
Its a little time consuming when you first put a tire on but ideally a tire should gain about 3 psi from its cold inflation pressure to its hot pressure. More than that its under inflated. Less and you likely could drop your cold pressure a bit to get a softer ride. and the best milage. Two or three checks for this will tell you about what you should be running in a particular tire unless you change the load on your bike drastically. :)

gompa
Motorcycle: 2008 goldwing

Postby gompa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:25 pm

boy do i know that feeling way to well, the wife and i was ridding on the freeway at 70 mph center lane and passing a truck, then all at once the bike started it side to side movment. (back tire blowed) felt like it wanted to throw both of us off. now trying to get to the shoulder of the freeway and slowing down, with out falling off was a chore in it self. we made it safe but the wait for a tow in 110 degree weather, took it toll on both of us. dont care to much for gwrra towing service.

gompa

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:38 am

Rodee I have a question sir :shock: , What type of tires was they? :lol:

rodee71
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 Interstate
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:32 am

LB, the bike came with Michelin Hi-Tours. They were 16 yrs. old, so I replaced the front immediately, but decided to ride the rear one out since it had about 75% tread life. So, I really can't complain, I got 9,000 miles out of the rear. I ordered a Shinko Tour Master Sunday and should have it on by Thursday nite. I'm comparing it (somewhat) to the Kendra I put on the front. and I'll put on the best of the two to match up for next year. I believe Shinko took over the tooling facilities that Yokohama had when they quit making motorcycle tires. I've heard good things about them, so I'm going to find out for myself. But the Michelins sure did hold up, and if I could justify that kind of money (and maybe I will if the ones I have now don't last) I'd buy them.

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:21 am

I had it happen to me in 1976 about midnight on a Ft. Worth expressway on my CB360T just after it started raining. I was pretty lucky as it happed about 1/4 mile from a Honda shop. I walked beside the bike with the engine idling in 1st gear beside the road the rest of the way to the shop and left it in their parking lot.
When the tire blew, I was in traffic on both sides and behind at the beginning of a rain storm. I signaled with the turn signals and slowed as the bike began to dance around a bit on the slick road and somehow the drivers avoided running over me. Once stopped, I noticed a new hole pinched into the top of the seat cover:) I called the guys at the shop the next morning and explained why the bike was parked in front of their store, picked it up that afternoon.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:57 am

I 35 W is a death trap for motorcycles man, You sir are one lucky dude that you didn't get runned down....That's is a nightmare scenero.... I hate parts of Dallas where there are no shoulders at all [construction], they block you in with barriers on both sides, what if that happens then..Oh man. :shock: ..It ain't gonna be good :shock: the way everyones in a hurry in that town.. It's like everyone is freakin late or something... My stress levels go sky high when traveling thru the Dallas/fort Worth area, Hell it's bad clear on down to San Antonio on I 35...A race to see who can get to San Antonio first or something, bumper to freakin bumber going 80 or so, tail gating too.. :shock: :shock: Now they are opening up a brand new toll road from east of SA to north of Austin, Austin's always a pain to go thru, this new road I speak of will bypass Austin all together[130] I think it is.., the speed limit is a legal 85mph :shock: HELLO... :lol: :lol: As far as the blow outs go, I'm glad I do my own tires so I know I have new valves and the tires have been installed and inspected by me and nobody else...

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:30 pm

I can remember back in the early 70's I had an RD350 Yammer and loved to do the 0 to to end as fast as possible thing every now and then. There were two or three occasions when I did a speedshift 2nd to 3rd at about 70 that ended up spinning the rim inside the tire and yanking the valvestem out. I knew this happened immediately when I was looking at my tail light beside me instead of having it behind me where it belonged. After about the 3rd time it happened, I decided to stop the power shifting. Of course back in those days as a young and stupid sailor, I was normally 3 sheets to the wind drunk when I was playing that game. How I survived the 1000's of times I was on a bike drunk I'll never know. I did some really really stupid stunts and lived to tell about it. The last flat I had on my wing was found in a parking lot after a few hours visiting the Grand Canyon. It was fine when I parked it, but when I started it to leave and went to back it out, it took me a minute to figure out I had a flat while trying to push it backward out of the parking lot. This was on the 84 aspy. I had a couple cans of canned snot with air to use until I could get the tire plugged. Then a hundred mile ride to get to a dealer to get the tire replaced.

kerrsys
Motorcycle: 2010 gl1800

Postby kerrsys » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Thank the Lord above that you're all safe...

As a triker, I often wonder what happens with a blow-out.

Anyone with tales to tell of what happens when 3 becomes 2?

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Thankfully somebody was looking out for all of you at the right time.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “Goldwing Chat”