Kuryakyn - Soap Opera or Nightmare?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Kuryakyn - Soap Opera or Nightmare?

Postby seabeechief » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:07 pm

My first Wing is an '08 GL1800. I love it. The bike has a set of ERGO II Cruise mounts with the "mini" arms (for taller riders per Kury). I have been adjusting positions trying to find just the right angle. So far, it ain't happening. So, I go to the Goldwing forums (yes, plural) looking for a pair of 6" arms to try. First attempt; only one 6" arm arrived in the box. The forum member and I believe the box was tampered with. Why anyone would open a box and remove one 6" arm is still a mystery. So, I put out the call again for, this time, one 6" arm. Deal made and consumated with another forum member. Everbody's happy.

Well, not so much.The hex head bolt that connects the "mini" arm to the foot peg is too short to work on the 6" arm. Not to worry. A call to Kuryakyn tech support results in the fact that I need different bolts. Sharp folks working over there at Kuryakyn. The young man then informs me that the bolt I need is not available as a stand alone purchase. I will have to buy a "hardware kit"; Kuryakyn #904062. Only $34.95 plus shipping. "What", I asked, "comes in this hardware kit"? crickets........crickets.......crickets........ "Lots of stuff". Yep, that's what he said. So, before I made my tongue even more bloody, I told him I would check the website and thanked him for his time.

Kuryakyn website cannot locate part number 904062. hhmmmmmmm. I call back to Kuryakn tech support and get connected with another very pleasant young man and relate to him my small dilemma. He informs me that I have to go to an authorized Kuryakyn dealer to get that particular part.

O-Tay! We are cooking now. A call to my local friendly Honda dealer and the really good guy that mans the parts counter. Even though he SWORE he was indeed an authorized Kuryakyn dealer, that part number produced no results in his computer.

I will ride over there tomorrow to see if they have anything that may possibly work. Hope springs eternal. Give up?? HELL NO! Texans don't give up. They get over run and massacred from time to time, but never give up. And just to be fair, I will post this on other venues as well, as I can't remember who I got what from. Gitt'en old does that to you.

More details as they occur. I gotta get in touch with Ron White. This could be almost as good as the tripod van.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Kuryakyn - Soap Opera or Nightmare?

Postby dingdong » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:16 am

One of those days huh? Why don't you go down to your local Ace Hardware store and find what you want? They have SS as well as chrome. Lots cheaper and no hassle.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:03 am

I agree with Ding....I have an Ace 20 miles away and I am getting all my replacement screws from them. I look at the OEM parts catalog and get the size, etc., etc., and POOF, Ace has it. No guaranties but at least that is a possibility.

And when I get back and try it out, I get a goofy smile :D

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:29 pm

You say the hex bolt you have is too short. I would take it to a fastenal store and but the right size I needed. I have had to do this before and they carry or can get you any type of bolt you need.
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:13 pm

OK, guys! I took your advice and went to Ace. Why didn't I think of that???? Two bolts for $5 fixed all my problems.

Well, not ALL my problems, but the ones regarding the Kury road pegs. Thanks to all who responded and offered advice and counsel. These forums are great and so are the people who attend them. Thanks.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:50 am

Ahhh, very good. Glad to hear it worked.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”