Smokey mountains

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
furnacedoc
Motorcycle: 1981 suzuki GS850
1997 1500SE gold wing

Smokey mountains

Postby furnacedoc » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Just got back from riding around the ashville, N.C. area for 5 deays, wow every road has great views of the smokies or water falls and streams, the Cherohala skyway was a fantastic ride. and also riding the Blue ridge parkway up to mount mitchell. what a view it was clear and it looked like we could see for a hundred miles

Mortal-n-Life
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 - Project
1982 GL1100A (Sold) Aspencade
2003 1800 VTX

Re: Smokey mountains

Postby Mortal-n-Life » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Two thumbs up!!! Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway...that whole area is amazing. Did you get a chance to stop by Wheels Through Time? All Harley but still worth seeing.

Hoping to make it up to Mt. Washington Autoroad next Spring...suppose to be that much better. Hopefully I get a chance to see for myself.

http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Been all around the Smokies but Blue ridge is next on my list. Sometime your down that way on the ky va line take a spin up and over Black Mountain into Lynch Ky. Dragon got nothing on that section up or down LOL.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:17 am

Planning now for a ride there next May. 4 days just on the BRP and Skyline drive then to DC. Already have the route in the GPS. Looking for places to stop and make like a tourist to make the wife happy.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:21 am

I would love to take a trip like that some day.I just have to convince the better half 1st to go and 2nd to use the trike. Pretty near impossible odds. She calls Green Bay Wisc. a big city and will not ride thru any "big cities" because traffic scares her. That puts a pinch on where we can go.
Proud member Patriot Guard

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:18 am

Now that is funny! You should have known better than to take her for a ride on a football weekend!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

speedy1
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE, 2004 Goldwing 1800, 2007 Honda Aero 750

Postby speedy1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Just got back from a ride on northern part of Natchez Trace. Beautiful roads in all that part of the country.
Attachments

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Glad you got to do the Parkway. We did two years ago. The Smokies do bite though. We were near Boone when this happened. The rear started to spin on the gravel going up an extreme incline and we went over the side of a seventy foot ravine. We were banged up a bit and I broke the windshield but we finished out vacation. My left leg was a bruise from the knee to the bottom of my foot. Mama banged up her helmet, thank goodness for the helmet. I ALWAYS WEAR ONE! Tha last picture is of the couple we were with and the back deck of the cabin we were heading too when this happened.
Attachments

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Question for you, did you have brakes on the trailer and do you think it would have helped if you did not? I also have a trailer but have never been where I have needed brakes on it but have often thought about if I ever do convince the better half to take a trip thru the Smokies would I need brakes on my trailer. It is approx the same size as yours, and of course I know it depends on weight which I carry very little.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:31 pm

bustedwing wrote:Question for you, did you have brakes on the trailer and do you think it would have helped if you did not? I also have a trailer but have never been where I have needed brakes on it but have often thought about if I ever do convince the better half to take a trip thru the Smokies would I need brakes on my trailer. It is approx the same size as yours, and of course I know it depends on weight which I carry very little.

No brakes. If the trailer you are pulling is so heavy, trailer brakes are needed, then I believe its too heavy for the bike. I don't believe brakes would have helped though. We live in the Toledo Ohio area and went across Pennsylvania to the Skyway then the Parkway then back home. It braked just fine going up and down the mountains. I DO believe that if I had had the rear car tire on it it would have helped a great deal. I really believe that. Just from the way it handles on stones and loose gravel around here is why I say that. I now have a Bunkhouse camper and I took it up through Michigan and it was superb. When I bought it I hauled it from just south of Chicago home and it was fine.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:40 pm

So the small tire was more of a problem?

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:44 pm

bustedwing wrote:So the small tire was more of a problem?

"I" really believe it was. I have phenomenal traction now. So much more than before.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:57 pm

Thinking about it that makes sence, it gives you a wider stance and more rubber on the road. 7 never gave it a thought until I seen your post. Thanks.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:50 pm

bustedwing wrote:Thinking about it that makes sence, it gives you a wider stance and more rubber on the road. 7 never gave it a thought until I seen your post. Thanks.

There are HUGE discussions about using a car tire on a bike. Its called the "Darkside". Take a look at this site if you are curious. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:02 pm

I was thinking about the trailer, not the bike. I have a trike so I have plenty of traction with the rear of that, butI was thinking about the trailer, whether the additionof brakes or maybe bigger tires would have made a difference in the accident you had.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:50 pm

bustedwing wrote:I was thinking about the trailer, not the bike. I have a trike so I have plenty of traction with the rear of that, butI was thinking about the trailer, whether the additionof brakes or maybe bigger tires would have made a difference in the accident you had.

A trike. You're right. You already have good traction. Not the tires on the trailer, just the rear tire on the bike.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:54 am

I know the trailer puts quite a bit of weight behind me, and braking definitely takes quite a bit longer. I considered putting some electric brakes on the trailer, but I decided against it for one big reason: If one of the two brakes on the trailer were to fail - or even partially fail, applying the brakes would put a sudden, huge side load on the rear wheel. Being that you are braking in the first place, most of the bike's weight has shifted to the front wheel, meaning your rear wheel has little traction. Reduced rear wheel traction plus huge side load on the rear wheel means sudden, unexpected skid and probably crash.

So no trailer brakes for me. I also use engine braking a great deal to avoid burning up my brake pads, and do a LOT of planning ahead. That way I can use engine braking for the majority of the slowing, and use brakes only when needed.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:04 am

I also downshift a lot, that is the old trucker in me. But I have seen electric brakes set up for trailers on bikes although rare and wondered if it was actually worth the expense. The guy that went thru the trouble of putting them on said yes, but did not sound too convinsing I am sure because he did not want to admit he waisted his money and time.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:08 am

bustedwing wrote:I also downshift a lot, that is the old trucker in me. But I have seen electric brakes set up for trailers on bikes although rare and wondered if it was actually worth the expense. The guy that went thru the trouble of putting them on said yes, but did not sound too convinsing I am sure because he did not want to admit he waisted his money and time.

Only way I would consider them would be if the trailer had a solid axle, and then perhaps a single inboard disc on the axle. That would be one heavy trailer though!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”