Teaching grandchildren to annoy their parents.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Teaching grandchildren to annoy their parents.

Postby tom84std » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:24 am

I'm actually having fun getting even for all those years. When she brings him over he makes a Bee-line for my workshop where he rummages around down there and finds something to 'build'. I WILL teach him to weld and turn things on a lathe.

He's a big kid for his age of three+. I told my daughter I was taking him to the motorcycle store to fit him with a helmet so he could ride with me. She informed me that state law prohibits children his age riding as a passenger on anything two-wheeled. Damitol!

I've got to wait how long? I want to teach him to respoke a wheel and use a plumb bob and a square. Not to mention how to annoy his mother in retaliation for all that stuff she did while growing up. Seriously, grandchildren are God's creation as a consolation prize for getting old.
I taught my daughter to weld when she was a teen, she was able to help me build the H posts and corner posts and gates in her horse fence.
I'm gonna teach this kid to TIG weld aluminum so he can repair cases and hardware in British motorcycle bits and pieces.
Old people influencing young people!

Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Re: Teaching grandchildren to annoy their parents.

Postby Randy S » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:11 pm

I don't know what any state laws are but earlier this year the wife and I had a Wing & sidecar with windshield come up behind and follow us several miles. The rider had one kid (around 10 to 12) behind him and two kids in the sidecar. They looked 3 to 6 yrs old. Hard to tell with their helmets on. Was also pulling a trailer or camper and turned towards a state park. Hang in there, where there's a will there's a way.

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:50 pm

I don't know what the laws are there BUT I took my grandkids out when they could not even walk yet. I put them on the tank in front of me, crossed their legs and away we went. I only went to the end of my road, which is a dead end at the lake and maybe across the street and go around the block. I coluld tell right away if they would sit still. They could'nt wait to come back and do it again. I taught them to sit real still and let me drive and they were enthralled with it all. They're YOUR grandkids DAMB IT GUMBY!!!!!!! :lol: 8-)

rooferx
Motorcycle: 95 aspy

Postby rooferx » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 pm

Lucky Kid,,Proud POPPOP

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Yep Ya got to luv them Grandkids.........

I have 4 of them myself. Two of them love my wing almost as much as I do. The eldest (5 yrs) has his own yamaha 50 and also a two seater go kart.
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Postby skier » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:36 pm

My 4 year old granddaughter on my Wing...I think she's getting ready to ride!
Attachments

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Well, my daughter got all the skinny on my state laws. Seems that children over five years old can ride behind the driver. Younger than that must be in a sidecar. In my first post I said that he was 3+. I was mistaken, he's 4+. She's given me permission to take him out in the neighborhood not on expressways providing he's wearing a helmet. His birthday is early Feb. so I'll take him to the old motorcycle shop in Dallas near his birthday an have the little toot fitted with a proper helmet. Grandchildren are so much fun!

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:28 pm

I have 2 girls 6 & 9 they love my bike!! always check the switches when their done LOL!
Attachments
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 am

I'll be your grandkid if you teach me how to weld.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:33 am

CBX, if you lived close to me I'd be happy to. When I was young my father did a lot of it in the workshop. He built a horse trailer and was always welding things. I was about 11 years old when I asked him to teach me. He made excuses like "We've only got the one hood and we'd need two for me to teach you." That was 45 years ago. When I was in the Air Force I paid a civilian employee who worked as a welder on my base to teach me the finer points, as I had already learned myself how to stick metal pieces together. I learned a lot from him back then and have been able to do a good job with steel, but the more exotic metals such as aluminum were the most beautiful girl in town and I was too ugly and poor for a date. About three years ago I dove off the deep end and bought a Miller industrial grade TIG welder and also a Miller heavy duty MIG machine. I gave my old Hobart cracker box to a fireman friend. I had a huge learning curve and it took about two years of self taught aingst but I can now join ALL types of metals permanately with a quality joint that looks good and will last forever. I can reform and replace cooling fins on motorcycle heads, I can even weld gold and silver. I feel that anyone who comes to me wanting to learn how to weld, I'm more than happy to share what I've been able to learn.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”