Radial VS Bias tires

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Radial VS Bias tires

Postby riffraff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:46 pm

I've got a deaired 83 1100 std. with Progressive springs and shocks. Can or should I invest in radials for my next set of tires? I have no complaints with the Dunlop 404's I've been runing four the five yrs I'vehad the bike. I'm just wondering if there's an advantage in handleing and ride with radials over the old bias ply tires? :?:

seeberluca
Motorcycle: GL1800 2007 Navi Airbag ABS
kymco 150 to go to the garage to pick up the GL

Re: Radial VS Bias tires

Postby seeberluca » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:01 am

Bias tires typically have the ply cords that extend diagonally from bead to bead at a range of 30 to 40 degree angles. Each successive ply is laid at an opposing angle, forming a criss-cross pattern. The end result is a design that allows the entire tire body to flex, as the tread and sidewalls share the same casing plies.

Radial constructed tires utilize ply cords that extend from bead to bead at approximately right angles to the centerline of the tire. They are parallel to each other, and are combined with stabilizer belts. The result is a much stiffer carcass, longer tread and tire life, better steering control, lower rolling resistance and fuel savings. Radial tires are best suited for those looking for smoother rides, longer tread life, and higher speed riding.

Bias tires do not contact as much ground as a radial tire, leading to a loss of engine power transmission and greater ground damage
Radial tires allow the machine to transfer more power to the ground.

Radials are more expensive than the bias but you are talking about a '83 model and could be that the bias for this model are expensive too. For technical matters and considering the motorbike we are talking about ( I love it) my personal opinion is that you will not feel the difference too much but for the comfort. ;)

riffraff

Postby riffraff » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:01 am

Having been an auto mechanic for twenty years, I' m well aware of the difference in construction differences of the two tire types. But unsure of how the differences translate to two wheels as opposed to four. :lol: Just fishing for any experienced opinions.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:51 am

Okay, if it is experienced opinions you want, I can give you one of those. I had a 1974 Harley that came with bias tires (actually a lot like car tires in those days) and throughout the years I replaced the tires with bias. In 1987, I totally rebuilt the bike from the ground up AND replaced the bias tires with Michelin Radial tires. The difference in handling was like night and day. I had always used quality tires, but going from bias to radial on that bike made it ride and handle like a brand new motorcycle. I would imagine now, if going from a five or six year old bias to a brand new radial tire you will really notice a handling difference. With me, a bike that used to have to be ridden through corners and curves, now fell through them like silk. Admittedly, the bikes in question are apples and oranges, but two wheels is two wheels. I hope this is some of what you were looking for.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:09 pm

I thought because of steering geometry, shocks, frame flexing , and rims that it was NOT advisable to actually put radials on any motorbike not designed for radials ?? ( Like the GL1100 to GL1500)

see:
http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopi ... 8&start=15
and
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-g ... ias-2.html

Is this Bias / Radials thing just another Urban Myth ?
Can I safely replace my Dunlops E-2's with radials ?????

SilverDave

riffraff

Postby riffraff » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:09 am

As luck would have it, it looks like I'll be staying with bias ply tires. It seems that none of the suppliers my dealer uses
Make a radial to fit the front of an 83. Close but not the same size. I don't want to chance clearance issues with the added flex of radial side walls. :o

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:05 am

I have heard this bantered about all over the internet about running radials on a gl1200 and wish I could find a definitive answer. Im not financially well off enough to go buy a new set of radials just to find out that the bike handles horribly with them. But I might if anyone could give a first hand answer of running of radial mc tires on a gl 1200 and it working out buy a set.
I guess until then Illl stick to Shinkos :lol:

riffraff

Postby riffraff » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:55 am

The first question you'll need to answer is if there are radials made to fit your wing. I did my own leg work only to find that the shop I go to doesn't have a supplier that makes a front tire t fit my 83 1100. So it's gonna be on you to find out if there's rubber. Available to fit your wing! :lol: Judging from the response I got, you might be the first to ask about a 1200. Good luck!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”