Shakedown Cruise

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Shakedown Cruise

Postby tom84std » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:51 am

Married at age fourty in 2001. The new wife and I settled on a first trip on my '79 to go trout fishing at Bull shoals Arkansas. Late afternoon found us on hot twisty two-lanes in the mountains among many log trucks going both directions just as an afternoon thunderstorm came. Hot and steamy behind our Vetter Windjammer, my prescription avaitor glasses fogged and I found myself completely BLIND as the log trucks passed billowing fine mist over us. I pulled the glasses off with my left hand and handed them to her and said "HOLD THESE!" while trying to keep the old bike out of the path of the oncoming trucks billowing the fine spray in my face. Finally, a farmer's turn off which proved to be a turnrow I pulled off and stopped in the grass just as Pepee La pew, a skunk passed walking two feet from my front tire. I told her to be still! A mile down the road, the Bull Shoals Dam had an overlook with a shelter where we waited out the storm. Afterwards, on the road in the hot afternoon our clothes were completely dry in less than ten miles. The following evening we had a big pan full of very fresh rainbow trout for dinner. The bike performed perfectly on that first trip, of course!

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Shakedown Cruise

Postby bustedwing » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Wow, sounds like some nervous moments. Not sure which was worse , the skunk or the fogged glasses. Either one would not have been good. But good thing the rest of the trip was a memorie maker.
Proud member Patriot Guard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Shakedown Cruise

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 am

The near-disaster events make trips memorable. Out of all the flying, driving and riding I've done over the past 25 years or so, very few of those trips stick in my mind because they were wonderful. However, the ones that involved problems, or nearly ended in disaster (particularly the FLYING ones) will stay burned in my memory forever. I guess that's part of the self-preservation process.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”