Silly dammed English

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Silly dammed English

Postby tom84std » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 pm

I fell in love with English motorcycles a long time ago while attending the flattrack races near my hometown on Saturday nights. It was a horse racing track for most of the week but on the one night it belonged to Triumphs and BSA's and Nortons. Now I'm an old fart and I still love British bikes. BSA, a company with a rich history and a wonderful product. I built my last one inside my kitchen last winter. It's sitting under my carport right now. I appreciate the engineering and quality built into the big Hondas. Thus my Goldwing. However with a last name like "Arnold" it's obvious I'm British.
My daughter wants me to acompany her and her son on a tour of the British isles in a couple of years. I told her that I would love to, but I refuse to drive an automobile over there. The idiots drive on the wrong side of the road!

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Re: Silly dammed English

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:39 pm

England is an interesting country, for sure. I had the privilege of going over there some 32 years ago on the dime of the University of Pittsburgh for a conference in Brighton on the channel coast. The first thing I remember was passing over the coast at dawn and seeing the patchwork fields from the plane. It was striking. The people were nice and the landscape was majestic.

We did a road trip to Stonehenge as it wasn't all that far from where we were staying. This is one country of contrast. Driving through the rural countryside, you were on a modern motorway hitting towns and villages along the way. Then in the distance, you'd see a castle up on a hillside. Absolutely amazing.

We did take a commuter train to London one day. Marvelous city.

And I did get the opportunity to try and drive there. Scared the hell out of me!! Wrong side of the car, wrong side of the road!!

I would go back if the opportunity arose.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:27 am

I got to spend the first 25 years of my life there!! Its a very scenic place, but its very expensive, very small, over populated and wet!! I still like to visit, but would never want to live there!! I left 23 years ago!! :lol:

Gary

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:30 pm

How odd, I always thought it was you lot that drove on the wrong side of the road. The people of Australia, New Zealand and Japan, to name but a few, think nothing of it, trust you lot to be awkward.
Come to the UK it's not that expensive (if you exclude gas petrol prices but even that has a positive side. When you get back home you'll actually weep with pleasure when you fill your tank). We've some great roads, your never more than 120 mls from the coast and you'll get enough history to last you ten lifetimes. A good time to come? May/June, do the Isle of Man TT, http://www.iomtt.com , then back to the mainland for The Banbury Run, http://www.banbury-run.co.uk .
As for the rain, I was in Florida when hurricane Charlie came through it made our weather look tame.
I've done the Big Sur by car but I'd love to do it on a bike with a diversion to Laguna Seca when the MotoGp is on (with a good view of the Corkscrew), or the whole of Route 66 would be nice.

Sid

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Having visited there a couple times while my brother lived/worked there, I found it very disorienting even walking the side walks and crossing the streets. The cars, motorcycles, bicycles, buses, taxis, etc. all come from the wrong direction!
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

pudd750
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate
1980 GN400
1979 CB750
1996 1200 Sportster
1961 T120R sold
1975 Norton sold
1972 Moto Guzzi 750
1976 Goldwing sold
1972 SL125 sold
Honda Fat Cat
RD350 sold

Postby pudd750 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:39 pm

tom84std wrote:I fell in love with English motorcycles a long time ago while attending the flattrack races near my hometown on Saturday nights. It was a horse racing track for most of the week but on the one night it belonged to Triumphs and BSA's and Nortons. Now I'm an old fart and I still love British bikes. BSA, a company with a rich history and a wonderful product. I built my last one inside my kitchen last winter. It's sitting under my carport right now. I appreciate the engineering and quality built into the big Hondas. Thus my Goldwing. However with a last name like "Arnold" it's obvious I'm British.
My daughter wants me to acompany her and her son on a tour of the British isles in a couple of years. I told her that I would love to, but I refuse to drive an automobile over there. The idiots drive on the wrong side of the road!

the Cabbies have "forums" in little buildings scattered about where they chat and argue about driving in London - amazing! one of the most difficult cities on earth - the sidewalks have "STOP HERE " painted on sidewalk edges for tourists- one more step is nole good- Englands always been on my bucket list where i might not get in trouble for a couple weeks -- ive had several BSAs, a rare single carb '61 650 Triumph stamped T120R (they wanted to get rid of some single carb heads so shipped them on T120R bikes) and my "Norton in a barn" for $100 - low miles, 3 baskets and a rolling bike with its original fresh 1975 850 still in it- everyone had to light its rear tire , which broke its (designed for a 1959 500CC twin) trans. in short order- happened a lot to them - everyone needed to smoke their tires, those poor Nortons-- it was under 10 years old when i was told about it in a barn- just sold it to a friend so i wouldnt have to see it go- hes less mechanically sympathetic than me, but it hasnt blown the engine yet--(superblend bearings were a very good thing Norton, i think, invented)

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:57 am

Just remember, that when we travel to your country, we have to make allowances for the silly rules that you have to follow. Driving on the wrong side; doing right turns on red lights (but only in some States); speeding is not counted until you are more than ten mph over the speed limit. We get booked here for five Km/h (about 3 mph), and lose licence points. 12 licence points in 12 months, and you can start maintenance on your bike, car, and truck for a holiday. Driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol, they take your licence off you (that is car, truck, and mc) immediately, and the level for alcohol is point 05 (which means two beers, or two glasses of wine for males), except if you are a P (for provisional), or a Heavy Vehicle driver, then it is zero alcohol - so stay away from cough medicines.

The big thing I noticed about the UK, was having traffic lights at roundabouts. Why have the traffic calming and ordering provided by a roundabout, and then interfere with the flow with traffic lights? After three months inthe USA, then the UK, and then Europe, it was fun. But I have learned to go with the flow, and plead "sorry".

It does make life interesting and challenging. Thank goodness for GPS.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:56 pm

If you Americans had paid your taxes like the rest of us and not thrown away all that beautiful tea you would today be English yourselves. Do not try the patience of her majesty then Queen as she may decide she is not amused and take the colony back so you will then have to drive on the correct side of the road as we do.!!!! :D

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:16 pm

will then have to drive on the correct side of the road as we do.!!!!

Why hasnt the Queen taken the left hand road rule to the Canadians then? Most of the rest of the former colonies have seen the wisdom of riding on the left, perhaps that is why we in the south have cyclones, and you in the north only have hurricanes! The water goes down the plug hole correctly in the south :twisted:

It really doesnt matter, though, as long as you can enjoy the limited time for riding your GW, you must have a smile on your face.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:47 am

redial wrote:Why hasnt the Queen taken the left hand road rule to the Canadians then? Most of the rest of the former colonies have seen the wisdom of riding on the left, perhaps that is why we in the south have cyclones, and you in the north only have hurricanes! The water goes down the plug hole correctly in the south :twisted: [/color]

Canada was a mixture of left-hand and right-hand drive, depending on which province you were in. In the 1920's they all switched to right-hand drive, I suppose because the USA was right-hand drive.

pudd750
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate
1980 GN400
1979 CB750
1996 1200 Sportster
1961 T120R sold
1975 Norton sold
1972 Moto Guzzi 750
1976 Goldwing sold
1972 SL125 sold
Honda Fat Cat
RD350 sold

Postby pudd750 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 am

THAT must've been fun going from province to province

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:25 am

Yes like Sweden in 1967 when they changed to the wrong side of the road they practiced for three days before the switch over. :D

Return to “Goldwing Chat”