The mind is a terrible thing....

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

The mind is a terrible thing....

Postby tom84std » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:22 pm

This doesn't have any explaination other than simply happenstance.
All my life I've had a very strong fear of heights. A self preservation instinct, it lives inside most of us to some degree but mine was much more pronounced. Riding my bike over a tall overpass made me nervous and I had to simply concentrate on the road surface and hold the grips with white knuckles to get past it. I couldn't make myself go near the edge of a dropoff or a cliff in Colorado. Riding those twisty switchbacks I just had to creep along in second gear and hold on tight to the grips.
Last April in the motorcycle wreck I was in, I recieved a heavy blow to the head. Internal bleeding and damage not unlike a stroke. After the wreck I went to spend time at my sister's house. She lives in the mountains and my best friend lives nearby. I told him about my loss of a phobia and he took me to a good place for me to test my theory. I sat on a rock dangling my feet over a 3000 foot dropoff. I didn't get dizzy and I felt perfectly safe and secure. I walked and even jogged right on the edge, heck I even took a whiz right there over the edge with no dizziness or fear of the depth of the potental fall. My only explaination is that the impact of the scooter wreck has somehow rewired my brain and made a lifelong phobia dissappear. Just go figger!

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: The mind is a terrible thing....

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Given the choice between the heights phobia (I have that too) and a motorcycle wreck I think I'll stick to the phobia. Just be careful that your new found bravery doesn't do you in. Glad to hear you are recovered(ing).
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Thank you CBX. I'm not saying that I've totally lost my respect for a major drop off. I am still very well aware that I must take care to avoid a missstep or a mistake. I still am quite well aware that I must take care near the edges while riding or standing near them, but the fear and the urgent phobia are simply gone. It's like that wreck and the resulting impact on my head has rewired my brain and erased an old very well pronounced phobia. I certianly don't see myself taking mountain or rock climbing as a hobby, but apparently the firm blow to my head has made a lifelong phobia dissappear.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:58 pm

I view this as a circumstance to be more aware of what is around you. When I had my accident on the freeway sliding on my arse at 70mph, I swear I get more in the face of cages around that do not look in their blind spots, almost to the affect that I can make them more realize what is around them. I also believe my riding ability is MORE aware than before.....do not know if all this is good or not, but I am definitely not as afraid as I used to be on riding bikes. So......respect the power you have and use it for "good" (how was that??)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”