Kuryakyn REAR AIRFOIL

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
pienchips
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A Goldwing
Honda ST1300 2002
Suzuki DR350 1996
Yamaha TT350
Kawasaki KLR 650(the bone crusher)
Yamaha XT500 silver tank
yes even Suzuki FA50
Yamaha DT125 1977?
First bike Yamaha scooter 75cc

Kuryakyn REAR AIRFOIL

Postby pienchips » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 am

Has anybody had anything to do with the Kuryakyn rear airfoil ?
Wife was complaining about getting buffeted about on the back and I was wondering if this would help.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Kuryakyn REAR AIRFOIL

Postby redial » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:34 pm

There was some discussion about this item on the GWRRA site, and most thought it was a waste.

The other way to overcome some of the problem was to get a taller windshield and/or Baker wings (or equivalent other brand). Or else, get a shorter wife :twisted: Or else, try a firmer fitting jacket.

In Townsville though, I thought that she would like the feeling of a breeze on her. (For our Northern friends, Townsville is well and truly tropical complete with beautiful beaches that you cant use in the warmer months because of the denizens of the sea) - but it is generally ideal for a GW. Lots of warm, sunny days - some with high humidity, and some with not so much.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

pienchips
Honda ST1300 2002
Suzuki DR350 1996
Yamaha TT350
Yamaha XT500 silver tank
yes even Suzuki FA50
Yamaha DT125 1977?

Postby pienchips » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:30 am

Thanks redial for the info ,I just realised that if you were 1 up riding it would be a huge wind drag .
How would the Baker air wings work, I know that they redirect the air but would they solve the turbulance behind the passanger.
I have my screen up as high as it can go now and the vent open as for my wife she is about 5'6",I could buy another screen but it is alot of money I don't have at the moment.
PS Riding in Townsville is alot better is winter than summer with 35°C with high humidity takes dedication.
PPS Tooshay with the sea bit but where are all the shark attacks ,at least we have friendlier sharks (haha)

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Its a motorcycle not a car, of course theres going to be buffeting. :lol: 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:04 am

The baker mirror wings did more to calm the air for mama than anything else I tried!
Let me preface my experience w/the rear air foil by telling you there will NEVER be another piece of KuryKrap purchased by me! That concerns poor chrome, mostly!
Conclusion from discussions and experience back when the air foil was 1st introduced.
1. Approx. $120+ for a useless, ugly piece of plastic and 2 moly-bolts + 1 piece of weather strip :roll:
2. Once installed, if you have a bike cover, it will no longer fit.
3. If your wife has a short torso, she might feel some help. If she is like mine(5'8") most likely she will feel no difference at all.
4. If you go ahead w/the purchase, I would suggest the clear over the smoked. The clear doesn't show up as much from a distance.
5. Did I mention they're ugly and non-functional and a waste of money :!:

pienchips
Honda ST1300 2002
Suzuki DR350 1996
Yamaha TT350
Yamaha XT500 silver tank
yes even Suzuki FA50
Yamaha DT125 1977?

Postby pienchips » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi tfdeputydawg
By the sounds of it you don't like the airfoil ,I'll have to look into those Baker wings ,do they get in the way of your legs if you use hiwaypegs ?

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Plenty of threads on Saunders and others. Some swear by them, others don't feel a difference. After reading a few threads, if seems those with aftermarket, tall windshields thought they were useless, and stock windshield riders think they're the bomb.

At least some of them do, anyways.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:33 pm

pienchips wrote:Hi tfdeputydawg
By the sounds of it you don't like the airfoil ,I'll have to look into those Baker wings ,do they get in the way of your legs if you use hiwaypegs ?

I have a full set of Baker deflectors.
The mirror wings I posted about mount underneath the mirrors. Those + a taller wider shield made the biggest difference for the wife.
I also have the upper and lower air wings. Yes, they did interfer w/my legs until I changed my Kury isopeg arms to the mini-arms.
Even w/all the Wings and the shield wind coming from anywhere other than straight on will get the passenger to some degree.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:09 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:
pienchips wrote:Hi tfdeputydawg

I have a full set of Baker deflectors.
The mirror wings I posted about mount underneath the mirrors. Those + a taller wider shield made the biggest difference for the wife.
I also have the upper and lower air wings. Yes, they did interfer w/my legs until I changed my Kury isopeg arms to the mini-arms.
Even w/all the Wings and the shield wind coming from anywhere other than straight on will get the passenger to some degree.

The mirror wings don't get in the way of anything, and after putting a set on this summer, I have to say they make more of a difference than any of the other wings combined. Both in bringing cool air in and keeping cold air out (depending on how they are adjusted). I love them!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”