Awesome ride today

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Awesome ride today

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm sad many of you guy's have put you're bikes away for the winter but I am blessed with being in Texas at this time of year,,today was a killer day, real nice for a bike ride, upper 70's party cloudy, I am in San Antonio, TX., I set out my trek down loop 410 to I-10 north I needed fuel so I stopped in Borne Texas. which is about 20 miles north of SA. then out of Borne I went west on hwy. 46 toward Bandera [hill country] and then I came up on hwy. 16 north to Bandera, Check it out, I rode into Bandera and there was some type of festivities happening man, there where folks riding horses in town and such, reinactors off to the left and they was shooten one another and such :shock: , me being Native American :shock: and all, I found the gears man thru that town...I happened to be playing my Pow Wow drum music loud too... :shock: :shock: them Cowboys in them hats was out to get me I thought....No I kidding ...I proceeded up thru Bandera north on hwy. 16 toward Medina and then I took a left turn west to Vanderpool on hwy 337, fella's this is a cool highway to ride anyway it takes you up high into the sky, into the hills and the roads are smooth.... I finally came out at hwy 187 so i took it south for a spell into Utopia another small town with lots of great smells of good BQ and such...I then took hwy. I seen a pretty girll or two also :lol: there, I then took 1050 hwy over to Garner State Park which is located off hwy 83 so then I took highway 83 into Leakey that's where I stopped to fuel up, man there was biker's everywhere, them Harley guy's look as mean as ever, don't mess with those badasses... :shock: ... They will beat you up.... :lol: Anyway here's when the fun starts, ok, for any of you bikers that have taken this road you will smile now, as you start to go into Leakey 83 north bound you will see hwy 337 again going east off to the right, take it.... OMG :shock: :shock: :shock: .. I started on up this unknown to me hwy and I got a special treat man, first of all there was a sign there posted as you start to go up the hwy, I shall post it, but man alive Ginger[bike] got a work out man, tight ass turns 10mphs and and 20mph's and such talk about working the brake and gears in a hurry it was fun :lol: :lol: , , I was only kidding about my right turn ability the truth is I am pretty gosh darn good at turning in any direction, even backward..No ****.. Ok, back to the road, there are some sweet turns and curves man as you go up and up and up and up this freakin mountain of a hill, I was laughing and saying to myself awe man WingAdmin. you gotta be here with me man and your wife too, you guy's will love this road man, it's a sweet road I never took before, I might go back for seconds tomorrow..So you're ears pop a few times then you start to come down but I stopped before I did and got off the bike so I could take a few photo's then I just rode back and took 470 East bound which is a scenic route back into Bandera and I took 16 all the way back into SA... and that was my ride for today, about 200 miles or so..Pretty ride.. Here are the photo's I took.. Oh, one thing, if you crash on a turn you are going to wish you didn't lots of hard ass rocks on each side of the road.. Most of you Texans would have taken this road before , and if you haven't you should, it will be fun , I promise. Oh you should pull up a map and check out the road I traveled....
this sign says don't screw up
this sign says don't screw up
ginger off the side of the road up in them there hills
ginger off the side of the road up in them there hills
It's up there but nothing like Tennesse or North Carolina
It's up there but nothing like Tennesse or North Carolina

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Awesome ride today

Postby HALBUDD » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Glad to see you had fun,and can still ride it was in the 70s today and I went for a little ride. Not a long one but hope to go for a nice long ride tomorrow as it will be in the 70s again. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:24 am

Hal, I used to love the ride in your area, nice roads in Kentucky, between Radcliff and Louisville there is a road that shoots over to I-65 off Dixie hwy and it's hilly and nice but I forgot what the number was... , I traveled that road alot, then I'd go over to E-town....But this road of what I speak of is just right down fun man.. It would be worth a trip from anywhere just to ride it.... Hey Maybe someone will have a cool video on youtube...Of 337 hwy.... :D I'll look...

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:16 am

Hey little beaver, I'm in NC and it's supposed to be in the 70s today and tomorrow so I'm thinking it might be the last time I get to stretch the legs on mine for a while. Thinking about heading to Gettysburg PA to see my little brother. I spent some time in SA when I was in the Army. Intended to retire there. Ended up in NC instead. My daughter in law is from SA. They just moved here in June. Like you, I love it when I find a 'new' road and it turns out to be a great one. Was riding with a friend this summer and he asked if I ever rode the 'Tail of the Donkey'. It's near Yanceyville NC. (About 45 min from me) It was the 'Dragon' Jr.
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:06 am

I have to go ride up there in North Carolina, I have been up around Cherokee as I do some business in those parts with a few folks, I love the roads and scenery up there in the mountains, something I will never forget as long as I live is when we lived in South Carolina I was going to Cherokee for the first time ever as I was headed toward the west, being I had never been there I could not believe what I saw as I headed up the hwy, I saw what I thought was a big thunderstorm ahead of me, OMG it was the Mountains ahead :shock: :shock: , I couldn't believe what I was seeing, totally blew me away, see when we moved to SC. we came in from the south west from Alabama, but this mountain ahead of me was freakin huge in NC [appal.] and what a treat it was to travel it, I bet folks go through a lot of rotors and brake pads up that way... :lol:

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:59 am

40's is good enough for me as long as there's no left over snow or salt! Just wear more layers! :)

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Didn't do the Gettysburg ride. Wife had some things she wanted to do for me for Veterans Day so I stayed here. Had a great time. We got up this AM and I figured a route completely around Kerr Lake (Buggs Island for any VA people here :D ). She rode with me. About 150 miles and 3 hours. Good ride. Looks like the weather is fixin' to change so may be done for a while.
'Soldier HARD'
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

Oddbirdwithbrokewing
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000
1983 gl1100A Aspencade

Postby Oddbirdwithbrokewing » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Your absolutely right Littlebeaver that is a great ride! I have made it a few times in the past. I hope to do it again soon when I get the 83A in shape. I like to make the run through Utopia also. Anyone planning that downhill on 337 should brush up on their countersteering and braking skills.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:19 pm

ha ha ha I had this stupid grin on my face the rest of the day after that ride, people at the stop lights thought I was stupid or something,, ha ha they are correct... Yeah that's a fun road for sure....I came through it from the west going eastbound, I wonder how it is going back west bound... :shock: :shock: I wonder if it's funner.. :lol: ????? I bet it is...Here's the stupid part...They have all these places in Leakey to buy beer and such... :shock: :shock: Don't be drinking and riding that road man..Might become #11...

Oddbirdwithbrokewing
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000
1983 gl1100A Aspencade

Postby Oddbirdwithbrokewing » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:41 pm

littlebeaver wrote:ha ha ha I had this stupid grin on my face the rest of the day after that ride, people at the stop lights thought I was stupid or something,, ha ha they are correct... Yeah that's a fun road for sure....I came through it from the west going eastbound, I wonder how it is going back west bound... :shock: :shock: I wonder if it's funner.. :lol: ????? I bet it is...Here's the stupid part...They have all these places in Leakey to buy beer and such... :shock: :shock: Don't be drinking and riding that road man..Might become #11...

It's not necessarily "funner" but requires little different set of skills and some good shocks on the front. Beer and Bikes, Bad.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:42 pm

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:49 pm

I wasn't the only one having fun, Ginger about came unglued she loved it...{Bike}... :lol: She told me more more.. Again again...What do you suppose would happen if a person crashed off to one side or the other on that road? :shock: :o

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:20 pm

littlebeaver wrote:I'm sad many of you guy's have put you're bikes away for the winter but I am blessed with being in Texas at this time of year,,today was a killer day, real nice for a bike ride, upper 70's party cloudy, I am in San Antonio, TX., I set out my trek down loop 410 to I-10 north I needed fuel so I stopped in Borne Texas. which is about 20 miles north of SA. then out of Borne I went west on hwy. 46 toward Bandera [hill country] and then I came up on hwy. 16 north to Bandera, Check it out, I rode into Bandera and there was some type of festivities happening man, there where folks riding horses in town and such, reinactors off to the left and they was shooten one another and such :shock: , me being Native American :shock: and all, I found the gears man thru that town...I happened to be playing my Pow Wow drum music loud too... :shock: :shock: them Cowboys in them hats was out to get me I thought....No I kidding ...I proceeded up thru Bandera north on hwy. 16 toward Medina and then I took a left turn west to Vanderpool on hwy 337, fella's this is a cool highway to ride anyway it takes you up high into the sky, into the hills and the roads are smooth.... I finally came out at hwy 187 so i took it south for a spell into Utopia another small town with lots of great smells of good BQ and such...I then took hwy. I seen a pretty girll or two also :lol: there, I then took 1050 hwy over to Garner State Park which is located off hwy 83 so then I took highway 83 into Leakey that's where I stopped to fuel up, man there was biker's everywhere, them Harley guy's look as mean as ever, don't mess with those badasses... :shock: ... They will beat you up.... :lol: Anyway here's when the fun starts, ok, for any of you bikers that have taken this road you will smile now, as you start to go into Leakey 83 north bound you will see hwy 337 again going east off to the right, take it.... OMG :shock: :shock: :shock: .. I started on up this unknown to me hwy and I got a special treat man, first of all there was a sign there posted as you start to go up the hwy, I shall post it, but man alive Ginger[bike] got a work out man, tight ass turns 10mphs and and 20mph's and such talk about working the brake and gears in a hurry it was fun :lol: :lol: , , I was only kidding about my right turn ability the truth is I am pretty gosh darn good at turning in any direction, even backward..No ****.. Ok, back to the road, there are some sweet turns and curves man as you go up and up and up and up this freakin mountain of a hill, I was laughing and saying to myself awe man WingAdmin. you gotta be here with me man and your wife too, you guy's will love this road man, it's a sweet road I never took before, I might go back for seconds tomorrow..So you're ears pop a few times then you start to come down but I stopped before I did and got off the bike so I could take a few photo's then I just rode back and took 470 East bound which is a scenic route back into Bandera and I took 16 all the way back into SA... and that was my ride for today, about 200 miles or so..Pretty ride.. Here are the photo's I took.. Oh, one thing, if you crash on a turn you are going to wish you didn't lots of hard ass rocks on each side of the road.. Most of you Texans would have taken this road before , and if you haven't you should, it will be fun , I promise. Oh you should pull up a map and check out the road I traveled....
IM002117.JPG
IM002119.JPG
IM002120.JPG

You were riding part of the famous "Three Twisted Sisters"! FM 335 - FM 336 - FM 337 in a loop. After the ride, stop at the Bent Rim Restaurant in Leaky (pronounced LAKEY) and get a "I Did Three Twisted Sisters" shirt. It is a great ride!

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Well then, I'm just gonna have to do that sir... I think after riding that road I deserve it...I'm just glad there wasn't a small fast sports car pushing me from the rear..Nobody was back there..thank goodness... :D

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:26 pm

littlebeaver wrote:mtn boy is this the place ..? http://www.hunting-fishing-virginia.com ... -kerr.html

That's the one littlebeaver. Started out near Henderson, crossed the Dam, went around the north side, past Clarksville VA, to South Boston VA, then back to Clarksville on the south side, thru Tungsten and Williamsboro, then home. My single rider days might be numbered. Mrs. mtnboy has really taken a shine to this bike. But then again, that's just fine with me!!
'Soldier HARD'

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:49 pm

My single rider days might be numbered. Mrs. mtnboy has really taken a shine to this bike.

You might have to change your name to Mtnboy+1.

All the same, if your SO likes the bike, it might be a good reason to do a WingAdmin and get one for her. Twice the work at washing and polishing, but I am sure she can handle it :twisted:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:35 pm

redial wrote:All the same, if your SO likes the bike, it might be a good reason to do a WingAdmin and get one for her. Twice the work at washing and polishing, but I am sure she can handle it :twisted: [/color]

It's not twice the work, because she takes care of her own bike. She's quite proud of it. :)

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:01 pm

One, she wants no part of her own bike, I asked, and two, if she had her own bike she wouldn't need me at all, for anything! :roll:
'Soldier HARD'

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:37 pm

Hey Seebeechief, might this be the place ...I bet it is..sounds like a great place to dine..I would say that it's pepperjack cheese on that burger...Hello, I like it..I tried finding a photo of the T-shirt that you refered to, but I could not locate it.. http://www.bentrimgrill.com/about.htm

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:39 pm

That is the place, littlebeaver. They do serve pretty good groceries there. The Frio Canyon Motorcycle Shop is litterally attached to the Bent Rim Grill. They are under the same roof. You may want to google Frio Canyon Motorcycle Shop and see what's there. I know they have "I Did Three Twisted Sisters" shirts because I bought on to take on my ride to the Dakota's next summer.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:36 pm

SeabeeChief I got the site and I found the T-shirt's that you are speaking of...Cool... :lol: http://www.friocanyonmotorcyclestop.com/t-shirts.htm The next time I'm that way, I will purchase one...Thanks for the information.. :D

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:46 am

OK Didn't make the Gettysburg ride over Veterans Day so I did it this weekend. I'm in GB now. Left Oxford yesterday about 1130 and 7 hours later I walked in my parent's house. Weather was good most of the time (upper 50s - low 60s). I can do the ride in 5 hours if I do Interstate but who wants to ride thru Richmond and DC on Black Friday? Got on HWY 15 in Oxford and got off in GB. Really is a good ride. Sometimes 4 lane, sometimes 2 lane with some towns scattered throughout. Little brother (GL1100A) met me in Warrenton, VA and we rode together to GB. Hit about 20 miles of rain right at the end. Not bad. It's colder than a well diggers butt right now. Hoping it will gain a coupla degrees before I head back tomorrow. I do have my cold weather gear with me tho :). Y'all have a good weekend.
'Soldier HARD'

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:06 pm

OK needed that cold weather gear. Left Gettysburg about 10:30 this AM, home at 5:00. Temps in the mid 30's to 40 for most of the ride. Finally found sunshine about Farmville, VA. Glad I went, glad to be home. Did 15 again. Same as before, who wants to be around DC or Richmond with everyone going home after Thanksgiving? Not me. I'd probably be about Petersburg now if I had gone that way. Put Stabil in it at Clarksville so I can put it away this week. Time to get started on the maintenance.
'Soldier HARD'

artib270
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade,2003 ninja 600rr

Postby artib270 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:34 pm

im taking my 9 year old grandson for a ride tomorrow! its gonna be 70 degrees yea

artib270
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade,2003 ninja 600rr

Postby artib270 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:09 pm

that dude that goes off the road n dumps it needs to either slow down or pay attention and lean into the turn in the proper gear n power up! the moron behind him almost followed his dumbass off the road.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”