obstacals in the roadway

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

obstacals in the roadway

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:13 pm

OMG.. :shock: I was out riding this weekend up in the Hill Country in Texas and I saw something in the road that I have not ever seen before, it was a wooden sign [4'x4']that blew down and was lying in the center of the road on a pretty sharp curve, :shock: if a bikes front wheel hit that sign, someone would go down really fast and hard. :o ... I went up and stopped and turned the bike around and got it out of the roadway so someone wouldn't hit it. :geek: ..Now I'd like to know what dangerous weird obstacals have you seen in the roadway that could cause an accident..?? :D

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: obstacals in the roadway

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:36 am

Ive seen alot of debris on the roads over the years, mostly the usual stuff. Things like tire treads,mufflers 4x4 blocking about 2 feet long,bags of garbage even a queen sized mattress. its the deer that have been killed by other vehicles that give me the fits mostly,they blend into the road so well. Seems to me that they are just out to get me live or dead they still keep me on my toes 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:04 am

I agree, the leftover deer carcasses really get my attention - and they are so frequent. Not only that, if the deer was splattered by a large vehicle, they tend to leave slippery fat on the road - hit that in a curve and your day will not end well.

Tire treads are tough to spot at night, mufflers usually don't stay in the driven lanes for long. Worst thing I ever hit on my bike was a 2x4, left diagonally across a lane on a highway. I slowed for it and hit it slow enough that it moved, flipped up and hit part of something in the back end, enough to lift the back tire a bit. That was a bit scary, but no damage done. Looking back, I should have hit it at speed.

Worst thing I hit in a car - well, I still to this day don't know what it was. Some kind of metal debris on I-270 outside Washington DC. I hit it in my 1991 MR2 Turbo, at around 75 mph. It took out the left steering arm, and sent me spinning headfirst into a concrete wall at around 70 mph, then a second impact on the back end, then spinning out back into traffic, coming to a stop sideways across two lanes. Never hit another vehicle, thankfully (it was rush hour!). I hit my head on the side window which knocked me out, I bruised my spleen on the armrest, got some airbag burns on my face and arms, smashed my sunglasses, but I was able to walk away. The car was an utter write-off. I so loved that car!

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:22 am

Oh man, love the photo's and I got a chance to ride in one of those little buggers once, a friend came over who happened to be test driving one and he took me for a short spin..Sweet...The one time I thank my lucky stars is when I ws ridng from San Antonio to Chicago and it was about midnight or so I was around Little Rock Ark. I just barely missed a piece of duct work that must have fallen off a truck I didn't see it until the full moon shined on it just as I approached it and I swerved just enough to tap it with my left foot peg, OMG...I was doing about 70 mph I may have been hurt had I hit it..I should have removed it from the road but I didn't :shock: ...Wasn't thinking about that at the time... Man that was a good crash...When you total something you do it correctly... :lol: I bet those lights on the front of the 1500 help out at night..I gotta get me so of those....One other time I hit some kinda small animal at night on my way back from SA to KC and I found some hair and matter under the engine area...It was messy... :shock:

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Wasn't really an obstacle in the road but more of one that was missing. Some scrappers stole about 3 manhole covers that were just replaced but hadn't been welded or secured in place yet. Lots of cars hit the open manholes at 50+ mph before the cops blocked it off. Good thing no bikers found them.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 pm

What a small world, I used to have an MR2 turbo, I modified the waste gate to double the pressure from 7PSI to 14PSI, it really flew, but there was some serious turbo lag as it tried to spin up, really needed a larger turbo to produce the higher pressures!! It was a lovely car, I put over 20,000 mile son it in 2 years before selling it to buy a 2 seater helicopter (Rotorway Exec 162F). I still regret selling it and wish i still had it, I thought it was the prettiest MR2 of all the models, mine was red like yours!!

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:31 pm

thrasherg wrote:What a small world, I used to have an MR2 turbo, I modified the waste gate to double the pressure from 7PSI to 14PSI, it really flew, but there was some serious turbo lag as it tried to spin up, really needed a larger turbo to produce the higher pressures!! It was a lovely car, I put over 20,000 mile son it in 2 years before selling it to buy a 2 seater helicopter (Rotorway Exec 162F). I still regret selling it and wish i still had it, I thought it was the prettiest MR2 of all the models, mine was red like yours!!

Gary

I had the 91 Turbo (and yes, it had lag as you note), and I later had an 89 supercharged (the MKI rollerskate MR2). The MKII Turbo was a fantastic highway machine, but the MKI was much lighter, and with all that torque right from idle with the engine-driven supercharger, it felt SO much faster. More fun to drive, too.

I'd definitely prefer the helicopter though. I always thought that would be a great kit to build. Either that, or a Velocity. :)

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Manhole covers missing has to be the worst.. :shock: .. Thrasherg I'm glad you sold that little bugger before it ended up like Wingman's :lol: , you can see he's kinda hard on his toys. :lol: ..And himself :lol: ...A helicopter, really, now that freakin cool man...I have never been in one of those things...

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:41 pm

littlebeaver wrote:OMG.. :shock: I was out riding this weekend up in the Hill Country in Texas and I saw something in the road that I have not ever seen before, it was a wooden sign [4'x4']that blew down and was lying in the center of the road on a pretty sharp curve, :shock: if a bikes front wheel hit that sign, someone would go down really fast and hard. :o ... I went up and stopped and turned the bike around and got it out of the roadway so someone wouldn't hit it. :geek: ..Now I'd like to know what dangerous weird obstacals have you seen in the roadway that could cause an accident..?? :D

Your a good man Charlie Brown. I stopped on the drive at a local state park and moved a rather large branch that was lying across most of the drive.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 pm

I often think of the crash you had on the gravel road while towing the trailer and having the wife on the back, what was it that happened again to making the bike slide over like that? Was it the weight of everything? the loose graval? I will never forget that story... :shock:

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:06 pm

littlebeaver wrote:I often think of the crash you had on the gravel road while towing the trailer and having the wife on the back, what was it that happened again to making the bike slide over like that? Was it the weight of everything? the loose graval? I will never forget that story... :shock:

It was a sudden uphill climb in the wrong gear and trying to keep it from going down. Loose gravel on an unfamilar road with the trailer and the wife on board. It was just a bad series of events. The day before on the parkway I laid it down trying to keep it upright with my leg. NO MATCH. All I had to do was twist the grip to keep it upright.
Attachments

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:08 pm

vtxcandyred wrote:
littlebeaver wrote:I often think of the crash you had on the gravel road while towing the trailer and having the wife on the back, what was it that happened again to making the bike slide over like that? Was it the weight of everything? the loose graval? I will never forget that story... :shock:

It was a sudden uphill climb in the wrong gear and trying to keep it from going down. Loose gravel on an unfamilar road with the trailer and the wife on board. It was just a bad series of events. The day before on the parkway I laid it down trying to keep it upright with my leg. NO MATCH. All I had to do was twist the grip to keep it upright.

I'm suprised someone remembers that. I know I do. I'm surprised I'm riding and riding THAT bike.

pudd750
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate
1980 GN400
1979 CB750
1996 1200 Sportster
1961 T120R sold
1975 Norton sold
1972 Moto Guzzi 750
1976 Goldwing sold
1972 SL125 sold
Honda Fat Cat
RD350 sold

Postby pudd750 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:17 pm

the scariest obstacle for me was the tree that wuzzent there- but it was weather- i was watching dirttrack stock car races, and what happens every time i give $10 for an evening of dirt racing?- rain - this wasnt rain , it was nearby lightning, strong winds,trees were a whipping and 100% airborne water-a Hog group didnt leave the track, is what i should have done but i took off, and as i glanced at a farm on the side of the road a lightning bolt hit a silo a few hundred feet away- i was on my trusty 550 Nighthawk with a plexi 3 , and my helmet had a snap on visor that allowed me to hold my left hand over my face and look one eyed thru my index finger and middle finger for um, 25 miles with no water hitting that eyeball-
stopped in the grocery store in Portland for a flashlight and batteries, i knew my power wasnt on yet at home -(power had been out for a few days) - there was 6" of water, a river , rolling thru the parking lot, the local cop pretended not to see me and interfere with my night, he was safe and warm - the rolling hills on Grand River east of Portland had currents of water running toward me i could see- i was glad no trees were down in my way - went right by my dads "dirt" road, it would have been a morass, almost didnt see the blinking red light at grand river and m100- no other vehicles were moving -one bad decision i survived

rooferx
Motorcycle: 95 aspy

Postby rooferx » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:30 am

This is a nite time concern for me along with the fact as Im ageing the eyes are"nt what they used to be..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:11 am

rooferx wrote:This is a nite time concern for me along with the fact as Im ageing the eyes are"nt what they used to be..

There's lots of methods and tricks to help maintain this - it's a big issue with pilots.

- One of the first symptoms of vitamin A deficiency is loss of night vision. Zinc also contributes to night vision capabilities, so make sure you're eating well and/or taking appropriate multivitamins.

- Sleep! If you're tired, your night vision deteriorates.

- Oxygen. The less oxygen you have in your blood, the less night vision you have. I can remember a night flight I was doing, not at that high an altitude, only about 6000 or 7000 feet. Nowhere near the altitude that you need to be on supplemental oxygen. It was a dark, moonless night, with no clouds to reflect lights from the ground. I was having trouble making out the horizon from lights, and worse - was picking up highways that were running at an angle to me, and interpreting them as the horizon. As a result I found myself going to instruments more and more even though it was not an instrument flight. The airplane did have oxygen, so I decided to try it out - and with my first breath, it was like someone turned up the dimmer knob on the world. Suddenly I could see the horizon, many more lights and stars that were previously invisible. So...if you're planning to ride in high elevations (i.e. mountains, elevated desert areas), maybe plan to do those areas of your trip during the day. Alternatively - get into shape! Get more exercise, particularly aerobic exercise, to make your body more efficient at extracting oxygen from the air.

- Prepare. When I was driving to the airport to do a night flight, I would cover one eye. It can take up to twenty minutes for your eyes to fully adjust to darkness. Oncoming headlights can wreak havoc with your night vision. By covering one eye and thereby preserving its night vision, by the time I started my flight, I had at least one eye that was fully adapted to darkness. If you're going riding in the dark, don't spend time in a brightly lit room just beforehand. Spend some time in the dark instead, to allow your vision to adapt.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:55 pm

That explains alot for me, I never even gave this a thought before, thanks for the info... :D Might save someone's life there Admin. Good deal man...this stuff is important to know..

rooferx
Motorcycle: 95 aspy

Postby rooferx » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Bought some vitamine A tonite from CVS,I"LL SEE what happens..Thanks for the info..

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:31 pm

I hear that carrots work well for the eyes. They must. I've never seen a rabbit wearing glasses.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:13 am

Vitamin A is an accumulator, unlike most of the others which get passed by the body if it has too much.

Back to the topic. I was motoring in my 10 tonne motorhome (RV), with trailer and car being towed. Loping along at a respectable 80Km/H (about 50MPH), at about 9pm, on the main road connecting Adelaide to Darwin (about 3 000Km - about 2 000 miles), on a moonless night, I saw something move on the road. I quickly applied the brakes and ground to a halt. There lying in the middle of the road was a group of black cattle soaking up the warmth from the black top. It was the white face of one of them that alerted me to something ahead, so afterwards I went and changed the underclothes, had a mug of hot tea, and then recommenced my journey. I stopped shaking about an hour later.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

86GW1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Postby 86GW1200 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:38 pm

I hope this is related enough....not trying to hi-jack.

I am familiar with some hand signs for speed traps and such....but does anyone know of any common hand signs to indicate debris in the road?

Last week I was headed home from work on a 2 lane county road at about 55-60 m.p.h. A truck dropped 10-15 empty banana boxes on the road in the lane of opposite traffic. I only saw 1 bike headed for the boxes. I waved my hand toward the ground. The rider did not seem to know what I was trying to communicate. This road does not have anywhere to stop or park to pick up the boxes....2 lanes, no bike path and a steep slope to the road sides....

Thoughts?

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Not a good scene there, little or no shoulder to pull off on, I hate that..someone would have to stop and put there flashers on or something... :shock: :shock: I do not know :shock: .. But no that's not Hijacking anything... Running into one of those boxes wouldn't be too good on a bike....I would guess waving high and wild might warn someone..I have no clue what a danger sign would be.. :shock:

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard - Vetter State
1984 GL1200 Standard

Postby brianinpa » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:06 pm

For me the worst thing I have ever come upon was when I was traveling on a super-slab, so I was traveling about 70mph. I was in the right side of the travel lane and cars in front of me were slowing. The hammer lane was empty so I decided to change lanes. As I was crossing the left side of the travel lane I saw what was causing all the cars to slow down: there was a wheel and tire in the middle of the lane that was being bounced around like it was a puck on an air hockey table and it was sliding straight towards me. I was already leaning and turning to the left so I only hit the wheel/tire with my right floorboard. Thankfully my foot was on the highway peg so there weren’t any body parts in the way. The look of shock on the face of the driver in car that was now next to me told me just how close I was to eating it. I rode about 1/2 mile further before my mind told me that I needed to stop and collect my thought. I had a hard time getting off of the bike because my butt wouldn't let go of the seat. Now I give myself even more than a two second following distance.
Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Read about my "Storm Ride" from 2008 on my blog...

http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot ... -2008.html
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Postby cardinal » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 pm

86GW1200 wrote:I hope this is related enough....not trying to hi-jack.

I am familiar with some hand signs for speed traps and such....but does anyone know of any common hand signs to indicate debris in the road?
Thoughts?

45 years ago, if there was debris in the road, we would Kick a leg to indicate what side of center of lane the obstacle was on. This would alert anyone following you as to which side to favor. Dead skunk 2 feet in from the edge of the road.......kick with right leg, if it was near the divider line......kick with the left leg. To warn on coming bikes we always kicked with the left leg. That would warn them of a problem, even if they didn't know which side of the lane it was on. Today, most of my friends use a hand and point down on the side of the debris. Either way at least warns other riders there is something wrong ahead of them. I still kick.......amazing how long a habit lasts :oops:

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Ok,,, I just didn't know any of this, I never heard of it, if I saw a guy kicking like that I would probably think his leg was asleep or something :shock: .. :lol: I surely did not know of this..I don't ride in groups very often, so maybe that's why I didn't know... :D I admit it would look better than me looking like an orangatan with my arms in the air and such..... :lol:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”