Cherry on top

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Cherry on top

Postby redial » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:37 pm

I just thought all you cold people should know, that we picked our first bowl of cherries, today. Yum Yum. It is a very pleasant 28C (about 85F) so I think I will go for a ride today.

What do you northerners do to keep the cabin fever at bay?

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Cherry on top

Postby thrasherg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Most of us attack the lucky buggers that live somewhere warm in the winter to relieve cabin fever :-)

Gary

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28 pm

We like the cold weather, fire in the wood stove, some good Hot Totties (warm rum is always good for the soul) and then by Feb the itch occurs.....welcome to Northwest winters setting in.

I have to mow the grass one last time before the frosts kick in, hope I get a "window" to do it.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:08 am

We fire up the snowmachines and go for a nice ride through the bush to the lake, where we make holes in the ice and fish for the firmest freshest tasting fish in the world. No fish better than from freezing cold water. Then we build a fire and sit around drinking hot mulled wine or hot toddies without the danger of burning our country down. Then we go into the cabin, which has been warming all day with a fire in the cookstove and play cards till bedtime, at which time we pile on the blankets, bank the fire and have the best sleep of our lives. Then the next day, we do it all over again. Winter does not mean hibernation - it just means adapting. We can travel thousands of miles throughout the north on snowmachines. We have trails without any cars. There are lots of places to get fuel. Winter can be a glorious season if you want it to be.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:54 am

Sounds like I need to come and visit Ontario!! Just got my green card yesterday, so I am free to now travel outside of the USA (Been waiting 7 years for the card!!). Snowmobeeling certainly looks a lot of fun.. I need to try and find some where near Seattle that I can try it..

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:45 pm

thrasherg wrote:Sounds like I need to come and visit Ontario!! Just got my green card yesterday, so I am free to now travel outside of the USA (Been waiting 7 years for the card!!). Snowmobeeling certainly looks a lot of fun.. I need to try and find some where near Seattle that I can try it..

Gary

Congratulations thrasher! I know what that process is like!

Being from Canada I've got lots of snowmobiling time under my belt, all in northern Ontario - some of the finest snowmobiling trails in the world. Make sure your back is in top shape before you go, because if it isn't it sure won't be afterward! :)

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:00 am

themainviking wrote:We fire up the snowmachines and go for a nice ride through the bush to the lake, where we make holes in the ice and fish for the firmest freshest tasting fish in the world. No fish better than from freezing cold water. Then we build a fire and sit around drinking hot mulled wine or hot toddies without the danger of burning our country down. Then we go into the cabin, which has been warming all day with a fire in the cookstove and play cards till bedtime, at which time we pile on the blankets, bank the fire and have the best sleep of our lives. Then the next day, we do it all over again. Winter does not mean hibernation - it just means adapting. We can travel thousands of miles throughout the north on snowmachines. We have trails without any cars. There are lots of places to get fuel. Winter can be a glorious season if you want it to be.

snowMobiling_6006.jpg

Ice-Hut_6007.jpg

Cabin_6008.jpg

Very well written artical on what we do in snow country.I rode snow machines for years, but lately just see them along side the roads as
I head up north.At one time back in 68, I worked as a technician for the Kohler Co and tested Kohler 4 cycle engines,and installed them in Arctic cat sleds.I rode them all day,and evenings I lived out in the country and the neighbors came over and envited me to come out and play.We rode though snow covered sand dunes in a state park.Nothing more beautiful then too see those everygreen trees painted snow white,with the moon glowing through them. Came across plenty of deer in the woods too.I never did get sick of riding I can tell you.
But it has been years since I have been on one.

WA9FWT Phil

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:25 am

I like riding snowmobiles even more than motorcycles for pure excitement. The acceleration and speed that they are capable of is just phenominal. My brother lives in Idaho and we go up there once in a while and ride with him. Here in Oklahoma we don't have much in the way of winter. Last year we had about an inch of snow, total. My bikes don't get winterized as there are days all winter that I can take a spin. Example: Today it will be around 60 degrees which is the normal temp for this time of year.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

redial

Postby redial » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Then the next day, we do it all over again. Winter does not mean hibernation - it just means adapting. We can travel thousands of miles throughout the north on snowmachines. We have trails without any cars. There are lots of places to get fuel. Winter can be a glorious season if you want it to be.

I will have to ponder your response while I open another fresh oyster, while lying on the beach, after having a wonderful 200Km ride on my motorcycle, and not having to shiver once :twisted:

I suppose you have to go and play in your snow caves, on your snow-mobiles, in the snow, and put many thicknesses on to prevent the cold from getting to the bones. I shall ponder your ploys to outsmart the winter, but I know that really you would prefer to be in the sun, riding!

In the meantime, while I am pottering around home, what shall I wear - green shorts with the red polo shirt and yellow thongs, or something a little ostentatious.

Happy dreams of the good life.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:30 pm

That does not look like a Goldwing of any kind flying thru the snow. What type of site is this?? lol. :lol:

I was able to ride a snowmobile for the first time about 4-5 years ago, rode up and down the street, the driveway, had a foot of snow here, which is not heard of too many times.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Well here in Arizona (Southwestern part of the US) it’s 77 degrees today (perfect for the bike) and stays about that most all winter (summers are much hotter) I lived in Wisconsin (Northern Midwest of US) the last 40 years & enjoyed winter snowmobiling & skiing. I would rather deal with cold weather than the dust storms (droughts) and rain swings you guys are used to!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:57 pm

I will have to ponder your response while I open another fresh oyster, while lying on the beach, after having a wonderful 200Km ride on my motorcycle, and not having to shiver once :twisted:

I suppose you have to go and play in your snow caves, on your snow-mobiles, in the snow, and put many thicknesses on to prevent the cold from getting to the bones. I shall ponder your ploys to outsmart the winter, but I know that really you would prefer to be in the sun, riding!

In the meantime, while I am pottering around home, what shall I wear - green shorts with the red polo shirt and yellow thongs, or something a little ostentatious.

Happy dreams of the good life.
[/quote]

Your a mean little man ReDial, funny ,but mean :lol: maybe you could post a video for us ice bound riders to tide us over til the spring as penance. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:44 am

The winter down time is the time to dismantle,polish, and ponder the next seasons paint scheme before sanding, priming, and painting. Lived all my life in Mass. The winters are just an inconvenience that must be dealt with. Only as bad as you wanna make it! :mrgreen:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 pm

RoadRogue wrote:Your a mean little man ReDial, funny ,but mean :lol: maybe you could post a video for us ice bound riders to tide us over til the spring as penance. 8-)

Rogue, I agree with you here... and I do not want his video of Australia burning down from being too hot... :lol: (but I do admit, I am jealous as hell for year round riding)
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:05 am

Gawd luv ya Redial what are you doing to yourself?
Don't you know sunshine is bad for you, you can get melon homers and all sorts of nasties. Not to mention it'll ruin your complexion, you'll have crowsfeet round your eyes before you can say Wombat.
Better you get yourself a cheap flight and visit the Poms for a couple of months (just don't mention the India test match).
It's cold,blowing a gale and wet (very wet half the country's flooded including the street outside my workshop) and there's more rain on the way.
Rheumatism is good for you you don't know what your missing.

Sid

fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Postby fastf » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:29 pm

We get snow here in Central Georgia for about 2 days tops then it is gone we mainly have rain instead of snow .When we get a pretty day and i'm off the old wing and I go for a little ride it clears my head and keeps the old girl limbered up.Sorry all that snow looks pretty don't care shoveling it and having to put up with it staying around weeks on end.

redial

Postby redial » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Don't you know sunshine is bad for you, you can get melon homers and all sorts of nasties. Not to mention it'll ruin your complexion, you'll have crowsfeet round your eyes before you can say Wombat.
Better you get yourself a cheap flight and visit the Poms for a couple of months (just don't mention the India test match).
It's cold,blowing a gale and wet (very wet half the country's flooded including the street outside my workshop) and there's more rain on the way.
Rheumatism is good for you you don't know what your missing.

As for the melon homers, anyone can get these. I have had a couple removed from my back, but they werent melon homers, they were British Cold Cats (BCC aka basil cell carcinoma). Not too serious as long as you catch them early, so I get my doctor to check me out every 12 months for changes. I even offer him the use of my camera so he can take photos to compare for next time.

I have the most wonderful complexion, none of that pasty flour man look for me. :P And we dont get crows here, just Ravens - raven about how South Africa is being taught how to play cricket, while we are being taught by the Argentinians how to play rugby, and the New Zealanders are still teaching us the correct way to sail.

I have been to England, and have not dared to go on the underground rail in peak hour - I just couldnt have withstood all those exposed armpits in the land of the great unwashed. (We have an expression here, "as dry as a Pommie's towel" (a Pom is an Englishman - coined from the WW1 and it is an abbreviation of the French "pomme de terre" meaning potato), and Poms are known to have a bath once a year, even if they dont need it :twisted:

South Australia is the driest State in the driest inhabited continent (that way we exclude the Antarctic), so we only get really bad weather when the Poms have had enough, and they send it along with the whingeing union shop stewards, to see if they can upset us. So we just put another prawn (shrimp) on the bbq, and settle down with a coldie frothing out of the bottle.

I keep asking myself, I wonder what the poor Northerners are doing to keep warm, while we are here staying cool and riding.

Len in Kapunda

Return to “Goldwing Chat”