Vetter Mounting Bracket Quandry

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Vetter Mounting Bracket Quandry

Postby wjnfirearms » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:31 am

Ok guys, here's one for ya.

I got a complete set of Vetter bags/trunk from one of our members from the Great White North. By no fault of his own, they are both missing the locking bag releases that should have been part of the saddlebag mounts. What this means is that the bags cannot be taken off of the mounts to use as luggage or to do maintenance on the bike. This is more the problem than to take them off to carry around. I used two screwdrivers to remove them so I can repaint the mounts. This would be extremely difficult to do once they are mounted on the bike.

I sent an e-mail to Carol Vetter and am checking a few boneyards this coming week, but I'm not real hopeful. I haven't heard back from Vetter yet. Even if I got a set for another type of bike, I should be able to transfer them to my mounts.
If anyone has any ideas on how to McGyver something to work in lieu of the proper releases, I'm all ears.

Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Re: Vetter Mounting Bracket Quandry

Postby fastf » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:50 pm

I have a question does this locking mechanism use a key type lock?If it does go to a lock smith that has been around for a while most likely he may have a key that would work or can make a key.But if that isn't it start checking motorcycle salvage yard there is one in Tifton Georgia called Stevescycle Salvage they have a web site you could get their number.Good luck

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Dont know if this will address your problem, but there is a manufacturer here of items like what you are talking about.

http://biddlebar.com.au

It might just open an opportunity for you. He has some videos of the stuff he has.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:38 am

Redial, the site is apparently down, not just down under. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Fastf, yes they're keyed releases. Now, I did find pictures of brackets with the locks intact. They are on a "L" bracket of sorts and the lock has a thick metal piece on the end that spreads the spring steel pins to release the bag when you turn the key. Both the brackets and locks are gone on mine. What I find interesting is that while perusing eBay for these brackets, the majority of Vetter brackets I did find, either with bags or without, seemed to be missing these assemblies. I can see how the locks would corrode and freeze if one didn't keep them maintained, but these could be replaced more easily back then. If you remove them, the bags become basically permanently mounted. They were designed to be as luggage and taken off. It makes maintenance easier on the back of the bike to be able to remove them, also, and that's more my concern than taking them off & on for any other reason. I've had permanently mounted hard bags before and lived with them just fine. These are supposed to be removable and I'd like to be able to have them be as they were designed to be.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Redial, the site is apparently down, not just down under. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Mea culpa. It is:

www.bibblebar.com.au

.... as in Bible but with the first B followed with a BB, and for those that dont go/dont have to go to church, there is a bar :twisted: .

Have a look at his wares, I think you will find them quite good. I have purchased some things from him, and he is straight.

Sorry for the wrong direction.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 pm

No worries, mate.

He has some really nice stuff. Unfortunately, nothing that helps me with my current quandary.

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard - Vetter State
1984 GL1200 Standard

Postby brianinpa » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:09 am

Which part are you missing from your lock?

There is a metal block that attaches to the lock that expands the "U" spring clip. Without that block, the spring clip will not open and allow the bags to come off. Also, it should be a U clip and not an "L". it sounds like yours might be broken.

Another option is to remove the lock completely and use a bolt in place of the lock to keep the bag attached to the mounting bracket. I have all the correct parts if you need pictures or dimensions - just let me know what you need.

Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”