Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Spook1800
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1995 GL1500A
1999 Harley Davidson Road King

Re: Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Post by Spook1800 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 am

Familiar stories on here. I bought my 1800 for my wife to ride pillion as her health was failing to the point where she could not handle her Silverwing safely and my 1500 was laid up in the shed and broken. That was in 2011. She has now deteriorated to the point where she is even unable to ride pillion but my favorite daughter is visiting from interstate this weekend and has quite emphatically asked (ordered) that a Wing be registered and ready for a quick ride this weekend. She's only here for three days and I love spending quality one on one time with her so a half day jaunt with a lunch thrown in seems to be on the cards. What made me buy a Gold Wing? In the first place the bride's comfort before she even rode her own bikes, and she's had a few up to and including a VX1100 Yammie. We bought the first one in 1994 and still have it. Gotta keep the girls happy. In addition to the girls' happiness, this old bloke just loves the way they travel and handle so we're all happy eh?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
When the last tree has been cut down, when the last stream is poisoned, only then will mankind realise that we can not eat money!
I'm Larry the Spook and I'm ALMOST NORMAL!

Straydogg
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Straydogg » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Back in the mid 80's my older cousin bought a 1985 Interstate. I was riding a small 250 Yamaha street bike. He took me for a ride and that was it. I just had to get a Goldwing. In 1992 I found a 1983 Aspencade at a garage sale that only had 17000 miles on it. It now has 110000 miles. Fast forward to this past August. I've now moved on to a 1989 GL1500. I thought the '83 was a great bike and I still have it, but the 1500 is a totally different beast. After some minor repairs the '83 will be for sale. The GL1500 is now THE bike for me. Now to add some "safety" chrome and I'm good to go!

Fl-Driver
Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Goldwing F6B

Post by Fl-Driver » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:30 am

I owned HD Street Glides and got tired of the maintenance issues on even new ones. The F6B I heard was designed to compete with the Street Glide so I was automatically interested. Just bought a 2016 F6B and am blown away by it's performance, comfort and style!!! I bought a brand new 1982 Honda CX-500 Custom in 1982 and kept it for 18 years so I knew Honda built long lasting motorcycles.... Well done Honda!!!!
"Too much of a good thing is.... wonderful." - Mae West

Lynnmarn
Motorcycle: Motorcycles I have owned
2006 Honda Rebel
09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
05 Honda Saber 1100
03 Kawasaki Nomad
84 Goldwing Interstate
08 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
Current Bike
06 Goldwing

Post by Lynnmarn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm

When I was 62 I had a desire to own a street motorcycle which could be ridden back and forth to work and take some weekend rides around Salt Lake and on the mountain roads. My wife let me purchase a 2006 Honda Rebel. I road it home as proud as could be even though it would only go about 70mph. I drove it back and forth to work for about a year and managed to get 70+mpg. It was a fun bike but then I wanted a bigger one. My daughter bought it from me and I found a close out deal on a 2009 Vulcan 500 in Pocatello. Bought a ticket to Pocatello where the dealer picked me up at a service station and I drove it home. It was awesome. The extra power and bigger feel of the bike was satisfying. After driving it for a year it suddenly seemed to small to transport my wife and myself very far in comfort. We sold it and bought a 2006 Honda 1100 Sabre. What a found memory I have of riding it the 30 miles home from the dealer in 30 degree weather. I almost froze before I arrived. It wasn’t long until after a 200 mile ride through mountain roads it just wasn’t going to be the bike to cruise very far with me and my wife aboard and take any luggage. Sold it and bought a 2003 Kawasaki Nomad. We did server couple hundred mile trips on this bike and found it very comfortable. The previous owner had installed a command module to give it more power. What I didn’t know at the time was it had a loose wire from installed. Several times as we road it it would just quit or cut out but then start and off we would go. She was always afraid it would leave us stranded. Even though I did find and fix the loose wire she said she wouldn’t go on any long trips because of her fear of being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Sold it and bought a 2008 Yamaha Tour Deluxe. With this bike we actually did a 1200 mile round trip to visit our daughter in Denver and back with no incidents. It was a nice bike but returning on I80 from Laramie to Salt Lake we had a head wind of 40mph and the bike, loaded to the gills, lacked the power to keep us at 70mph. We took the Yamaha on a trip to Yellowstone when we stopped to look at a 2006 Goldwing. Took a ride on it and my wife said buy it. That is all I needed. We bought it and sold the Tour Deluxe and have never looked back. I believe the Goldwing is the ultimate bike. I have driven it to work and back everyday as well as round trips of many 100’s of miles. My wife loves it. It has power galore, is quiet enough to carry on a conversation between ourselves and fellow riders. I really believe if you own and ride one you will never have anything else. My next bike will simply be a newer Goldwing. Many others complain about the lack of a new model. I am not sure how they could make it any better but they probably will try just to stay up with demand and technology.
We rode with a group of friends last weekend. One couple drove a 2006 fully loaded Goldwing and the other rode a 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low. Beautiful bike with every gadget you could think of but I wasn’t at all jealous. I love my Goldwing. We should be grateful for Harley Davidson keeping motorcycles alive and well. They have a strong following and supply great riding gear. Let’s hope those Harley Riders keep going so we can enjoy more and better Goldwings.

Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought out of the box...Now has 184K Love this bike!!!!!

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:22 am

My brother and I both got bikes way back in 78. His was a Honda 360T and man o man did that thing shake! I got a 550K that I wish I still had! But anyway my brother after going through several bikes rather quickly picked up a 76? Goldwing. It was banana yellow with a white vetter fairing out fitted with a radio...wow! Anyway he got a job only two miles away from the house and I was going to school (round trip about 120 miles a day) and was complaining that the 550K was just a little tough back and forth every day. Well, he chucked me the keys to the wing and said use it as I'm not riding it much. After a few days and looooong before Will Smith said it in the movie Independence day...I was proclaiming "I gotta git me one of these"!!!!. That was around 1980. Fast forward too 1988 and my wife and I were out for a drive and I saw a wing leaning the curves. And remarked wistfully that I missed riding motorcycle and then reminisced about the yellow wing. She said so go get one. She didn't have to tell me that twice! Wandered into the very small Honda dealership in Wainscot NY a few days later and met Tom the owner for the first time. I ended up with a 86 aspencade brand new still in the box in 1988. I rode that bike 150K and until 2006 when I picked up my 06 also brand new and in the box. Speedo turned 177K yesterday on the bike and she runs like brand new but I figure in about 4-5 years I will have another wing waving at me once again from the box.

I will not ever consider any other bike to ride.

Soul_hammer
Motorcycle: 83 gl1100a aspencade

Post by Soul_hammer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:30 pm

Hey guys.
I have been riding since I was 13 I am now 41. I built my first bike a sl125 that I built from 2 basket cases. I have since had more bikes than I can remember and loved every mile. My current stable consists of my new to me 83 gl1100a, a custom built by me 86 softail, a 92 suzuki dr350 and a 1985 yamaha it200 that is my current living room project. I bought the wing because my Harley is great for under 200 mile rides buy being a stripped down rocket makes it not so great for longer rides so the wing was a no brainer. Glad to be here if you would like to see pics let me know.

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:58 pm

We always like pics!

Soul_hammer
Motorcycle: 83 gl1100a aspencade

Post by Soul_hammer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:35 am

raven41951 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:58 pm
We always like pics!
Attachments

stevemoore344
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000 gold wing

Post by stevemoore344 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:39 am

fastf wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:32 pm
I bought this Old Goldwing 1200 on a whem 2 years ago any how my friend had told me that he had a 1200 before he got his 1800.This guy started with a CB-750 and when the 1000 Goldwing came out he had to have it and when the 1100 came out he bought it he even told me about the 1200 Goldwing with a side car. This guy knew how to take care of a Goldwing there wasn't a bike show he didn't come out winning a trophy.He also told me how good the engines held up.He had a man at one time that lived with him and his girlfirend that had cancer this man was in his late 60s or early 70s he owned a 1500 the old man never covered the bike up never polished the bike but he did keep maintance up on the bike my friend also told me about the miles this old man had on the bike my mouth dropped to the floor 300,000 miles and still running strong he told me that it would be cold or raining like cats and dogs the old bike would take him where he need to go and how far.This interested me my friends story and some of the things he done too my friend would ride his Goldwing to raise money for the Shriners hospital this guy would take sick children to the Shriners hospital and use his own money to help them.The short time I got to know him he helped me with what to look for on my bike and how to fix it.This friend had alot of knowledge about Goldwings we would sit and talk about the new wing such.Well on December 3. 2011 I lost a good friend of a heart attack it has been almost a year it seems like yesterday that i was jokeing with him.I miss thei guy at times and his stories rght now he is riding with Jesus in heaven.If you have a person like this please write about it and let people know thanks for reading my story and may God Bless you and your family.
it was free

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:53 pm

'For me, it was pretty simple.

My son signed up as a Civilian to go work for the Army in Iraq as a Certified Aircraft Mechanic.

He wanted that high pay to pay off his house way fast, like in two years.

He had a 1984 Goldwing and matching trailer, and knew that it would rot if left and not being ridden.

So, I rode his bike for a couple years and then later it happened that I traded it for a 1994SE.

Then later just before he got home, I found a 1986SEi and bought that before he got home.

Since then, I have owned 1998SE and now my current 2002.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

saywen63
Motorcycle: 96 1500 aspencade

Post by saywen63 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Have been driving bikes scince the middle of the 70s . had a friend who had a 86 1200 SEI . he asked me one day if i would like to try it for a day .
havent owend anything BUT a wing scince ! im now on my 5th wing . started with a 82 Aspencade . Now im on my 4th 1500 . tried a 1800 this sommer ......... for what they cost here in norway , think ill stick to what i know .

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE GOOD FOLKS HERE AT GW DOCS :-)

Jag39
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by Jag39 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:31 am

I had a Harley (chopper) about 50 years ago. Since it has been a long series of dual purpose bikes, with the last being a KLR650. Decided on a whim, to try a big bike, since I am planning a trip around the west, again, and thought I might like the ride, lack of vibration, etc. I bought a used 98 GL1500SE just under a year ago, and really love it, except for the 1 mile of private dirt and sand road, to my house. Recently bought a Mini Mate camper to tow along, since I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for tent camping.

As far as why, the Wing instead of a Harley. Mostly the quiet and smoothness of the power range. I just love that. The cons, I do my own work, and the Wing is really a pain to do any work on.Complicated electronics, too. Here the Harley would really shine. I'm also a bit concerned about the network out on the road, should I need some help from a shop, or parts for the old wing. I've found my local shop isn't much help, and order all my parts online, since they don't have anything in stock, except oil, I think.

snb290
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Trike.

Post by snb290 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:35 am

It all started back in 65. My first bike was a Sport 50. I'm guessing about 15 bikes later I got my first, new to me, 96 Goldwing SE Trike.
Two main reasons for this bike, First: I've lost too much muscle in my old age to hold up anything of any size, if it started to tilt. Second: My wife was terrified of riding on 2 wheels. She didn't much like the leaning part. I bought one of those "Death" add ons, Instatrike, on my VTX 1300. She tried it and seemed to like it. Next part was an easy decision. Now when I go out for a ride, she wants to go too. Not just because I would like her to, but because she loves it!

66frommd
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800
Black Edition

Post by 66frommd » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 pm

My first bike back in '89 was 1976 900 Kaw LTD. It was also before the helmet law, and the Kaw was the first bike I didn't have to go around the block and return the keys to the owner. It got pretty scary here and there, and only through the grace am I here to remember those times. Long story short For safety's sake I sold the bike two years later. It wasn't until 10yrs later I bought a 2002 VTX Retro. I bought the Retro instead of the Wing mainly because I hadn't got the 'pipes' out of my system. I had been watching the Goldwing since the 80's but wasn't ready. I enjoyed 12 good years with the X, but had a few guys in the club that had moved up to the GL. Granted I put trunk, bags, sounds, etc. on the X, it still wasn't the ultimate. When the 2014 Blackout Edition hit the showroom, the trigger was pulled. I haven't found it necessary to put every chrome trim, trinket, or carnival lights I think it would take away the designation of the bike. I now know why I waited so long.....I'll never buy any other bike, unless it's a project bike. It was and always is worth the wait.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:08 am

Can't remember if I said this on this forum or not....

My son voluntarily took a diesel mechanic's job in Irag with Brown and Root, a civilian contractor.... he signed up for two years, did it so that he could pay off his brand new house mortgage... beautiful home, I helped him design it.

But, he owned a '84 gl1200 and knew it would not be worth anything if it weren't ridden while he was gone..... so he brought it over to my house...... I rode it for almost two years everyday as daily transportation to work/back.

I traded that for a '94SE, then he said, go find him a nice bike so he has one when he gets home, so I found him a very nice '86SEi fuelly..... he loved that one..... then he got a job with a German contractor, and yup, brought that bike over for me to ride... so I had two bikes in the garage for a long time until he was able to get permanently situated in Atlanta, GA.... then he took the 86 home.

then my 94SE was married to a concrete wall by a Penske 18 wheeler driver........ he ended up a quadriplegic, he liked to bend the rules. No seat belt, no log book, when his truck jumped the median wall, it threw him up to the ceiling and broke his neck, and he ended up upside down between the passenger door and seat...

3 years no bike, then I found a "factory new" '98SE owned by a guy who was anal about maintenance, it had 57,000ish miles, and I rode that home 3,000 miles wandering around here and there, and finally home...

then sold that one, hated floorboards and heel/toe shifters...... bought a '02 GL1800 and it will last me until I die....
Attachments

~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

Mike55
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A

Post by Mike55 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:10 pm

I was a bona fide Kaw. 900 rider which gives an indication how long I've been riding I was in my late 20s when my cousin who was 2 years older than myself rode up on this old man motorcycle which was a dressed out Goldwing with fairings, saddle bags, radio I asked him why he was riding something like that, his answer was take it for a ride; Man what a MISTAKE that was; I bought myself a 1000 three months later, after that I've since had 1100,1200, and now I have 50th edition 1500. I guess now I'm a bona fide WINGNUT thanks cuz. you have ruined me for life :).

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by seabeechief » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:22 pm

So there I was......in August 2011, loving my '06 Harley Road King (I still miss her sometimes). I stopped in to my local Harley dealer to look around, and there it was.....a 2008 Anniversary Street Glide with 1400 miles on it. Three years old and 1400 miles. It was beeeeeutiful. I wanted it and I could have it. All is right with the world. We agreed on the price and trade in and was ready to finalize the deal and I told them I needed a trailer hitch on the back. I had no intention of pulling a trailer, but I needed the hitch so I could fly my flag on PGR missions. Well....putting a trailer hitch on the bike would void the warranty. He had to tell me that twice before I could believe he was serious. I told him that was the dumbest damn thing I had ever heard in my life. But....that's the way it is. I told them thank you very much and walked out in a huff. Boy, that was a beautiful bike.

So, for reasons I have never understood, I was riding by a Kawasaki dealer the next day and I just dropped in. They had an '08 Goldwing in there that had low mileage and clean as a pin. I had never ridden a Goldwing before, so I took a test drive. And bought it after a 5 mile test drive. The next week Babycakes and I went to Key West. I have never looked back. I don't think I could ever go back to a loud, vibrating Harley again. We have ridden 50K + miles and never had a mechanical problem. I have since triked it out and, yep....I do pull a trailer sometimes. It will probably be the last bike I buy. I love my 'Wing.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by gervais » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:38 pm

well,
i have been riding for years now,from a Z50 at my first ever,,,paid 35$ and yes a lot of fun!
Manage to have a CB175 which i loved for years ,an RD350L/C my best for keeping the nerve on the edge,,a CanAM for great wheelies anytime but hard on the back of the man.
i even add an Ural years ago and add fun in the trail ,going fishing with my friends and their S%S .
Now coming at +60 and retired i decided too let her go and stopped riding!

Returning at my former city and wanted too see some friends i heard about one was dead of cancer,an other good one that have been my boss has prostate cancer i talked with my xyl about maybe doing some fool things before we go on the "other side".

i was not supposed to buy another bike,problems with my back since my accident on the highway and my RD350 ,,a flat at 80 mph,i was not supposed to be able to ride again but it was not by knowing my hard head!!!!!! i decided "this wont happened" and it did not not so
last autumn i baught a bike for the "old man" an GW Aspencade 1984 that was not well maintain and i discovered it after.
Now i am working on her,repairing,modifying the charging system,so we will ride me and my xyl in safety.

i am looking for some quiet rides,smooth one and be able to see the New Brunswick and if we can have our passport come true the border ans ride in Northern Maine.

i hope you all the best health you can be,enjoy life with your wife,girlfriend,child,,,because we are all living in a borrow time you know.

Ride Safe
Gervais
Riviere-Bleue,Quebec

Deaf4Jesus
Motorcycle: 1983 GL100 Interstate

Post by Deaf4Jesus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Ever since my brother in law taught me how to ride I always wanted a touring bike, not just any touring bike, a Goldwing. He had just bought the new 750 back in the 70's and he rode long trips. At the time I had smaller bikes for to and from work. When I got married in 1984 I traded my Honda 350 for a water bed. I never owned a bed and felt if I'm going to get married I should own a bed.

15 years later my wife saw a Goldwing 1100 for sale. I went to see it. Test drove it, and just had to have it. I've never regretted it. My friends who ride loud Harleys tease me when will I start my bike engine. I tell them it's already running. They laugh at me but when I ask them to take a long trip their bikes are in shop or they tell me their bike beats them up on long trips. I just smile and wave goodbye. Maybe they'll buy a quiet touring bike, a Goldwing. All my kids and grandchildren have fallen asleep because it's a smooth, quiet ride.

I'll only own a Goldwing for long touring trips. I've not ridden any other bike like a Goldwing. So all bragging rights belong to us Goldwingers.

Keith

guitarforme
Motorcycle: 1992 gl 1500

Post by guitarforme » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am

Well, I read a bunch of these story's, and it seems that a lot of us boys that grew up in the 60's and 70's have pretty much the same tune. As soon as I got to about 14 years old, I begged, borrowed and cried the whine of a kid that wanted to ride, my father (master sgnt. USAF) finally gave in so he didn't have to listen to it any more. That year I got a Honda trail 55, automatic clutch and a 70 tooth sprocket wrapped around a 30 tooth, two master links in the chain and the race to manhood was on. I ate a lot of dirt and had to learn how to throw that thing over three wire fences and wished that it would never end. Before it was all over I had gone through a whole string of Hondas, and not just because of there moto " Honda Honda goes faster faster", but there were a lot of them around. Heck, I went through two 67 305 scramblers before the seventy's hit. and even though it was a problem model, I still was fond of them. Went on through cl's and sl's and loved them all, but you gotta grow up and marry and have a kid and move on. Well, my second wife and I barely had enough money to move in to a crappy apt. and couldn't afford a car. I thought well, this is going to be a crappy life and tried to endure. My boss got real tired of having to pick me up for work and had me come over to his house, where his son had left behind some motor bike in the back yard. I'll be damned, it was an old 305 scrambler, it was like seeing an old friend and he sold to me for fifty bucks. I thought things were looking up. I blew it up in six months and mama went home to her parents and that was a low point. The year before Honda came out with this new model trying to keep up with BMW, Goldwing it was. They had stuck suitcases and put this faring deal on the front. This older couple put one in the paper for sale, so I wanted to see it, though I didn't have any money, maybe they would let me test it out. I went over to their house and looked it over (76 gl 1000), I asked him why he was getting rid it thinking it's gotta be junk. He takes me to the garage, slides open the door and there was a brand new, midnight blue gl1100 and I stood there and looked for five minuets and couldn't speak, I hadn't seen nothing this cool for, well ever. Some years later, one of the other guys on site was talking to me and said " I wish you would buy this bike from me so I can by parts for my Harley. I went over to have a look thinking some old pan head or something. He opened the garage and inside was this 81 gl 1100 se. He had just married and his wife wanted to take a motorcycle honeymoon across the USA. AMF owned Harley then and this guy was smart and knew that no Harley could do this without blowing up, so BINGO, I gave him $800 bucks (not a bad deal then) And I drove it home, I didn't even have a motorcycle license anymore. I went motor vehicles and asked the "man" about the test, thinking I should borrow somebody's 175 or 250 to take the test and he said if you don't take the test with the bike your going to ride every day, your a FOOL. Oh yeah I was mad, afraid and said hell with it, I'll do it. Fast forward about 35 years, yeah 35 years two trips to California and a lot of local riding and me and the old girl were still getting it on, and I must admit, I didn't take very good care of it. Then it sucked a crank one day, and it was over. End of story? I think not, I started looking for another one, but it wasn't out there, Too much money I said, screw it, I'm done. sad, very sad, as Trump would say. then I got a call from this lady saying "I saw a nice Harley on Craig's list for only fifteen hundred. I knew that was a scam and it was, so I sent the cops out after them, a few days later, there's another sent the cops after them too. Then later, I see a gl 1500 asp. for 1400 hundred bucks. I'm getting pissed, I asked this guy "can I see this Goldwing?", he said sure, so I blast over, ready to rumble, don't do this to Hondas too, I was mad. I get over there and there is this big red bike there and he's there next to it. I take a look at it and I asked " why you getting rid of it?" he had just got himself one of those new ones where they cut the motor from a smart car in half and his wife gave him a choice keep one or die and she was a little scary. So I tell him all I have is 1200 Hundred bucks (bad boy),he said OK. WOW, I just got a 1500 for 1200 bucks, that's insane, pinch me, this is too good, I must be dreaming. I toss him money, he tosses me the key, and I drive off. Hell I'm sixty four and now I'm retired. My son lives in Seattle, I'm thinking time to go and see the boy. That's where we stand, so as soon it gets just warm enough, I'm out of here, don't bother wishing me good luck because as Pee Wee Herman said " I'm the luckiest boy in the world!"

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:54 am

That is a great story about how you arrived at a GL1500. And, welcome to the list frrom the deep deep south.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

roadlost57
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200i

Post by roadlost57 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:32 pm

:ugeek: it was because they said I was too small,being only 5,5 and 120 lbs, I just had too prove them wrong, and then I fell in love with the damn things.ijust got a 85gl1200i this year once again because the doctors said i couldn't that soon after the cancer thing,but it's all good and I'm riding just fine.
Also I love this web site seems like a lot of fun.
had a 76 gl1000 it got ran over,had another 76 wing i road it all over rip with 172050 on it

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:56 pm

Yes it is a lot of fun, but also full of information. Keep smiling.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

RodneyH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Post by RodneyH » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:08 am

I bought mine because im not a fan of loud noise but I am a fan of plenty of power and and a sharp looking motorcycle that's quiet and 2nd to none when it comes to comfort. Considering the size and weight of the goldwing its much easier to handle than I thought when I first looked at that huge bike. I dont suppose ill ever figure out how they managed to make a bike that big so easy to handle. Im just glad they did!

mrbreeze
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Post by mrbreeze » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:40 pm

I got my first bike at the ripe old age of 13. Dad had just come back from Vietnam, and he had a wad of combat pay. Sister got a piano and I got a 2972 Honda CL100, brand spanking new. I learned a lot of things the hard way, but eventually I went thru several bikes and I joined the Army myself. After I got out, I had a 1982 Suzuki GS650G that I wasn't riding much. I was going to college and working part time, it was all I could do to keep my clapped out old car going. I decided I wanted to get married, so I sold the Suzuki and bought an engagement ring.

Fast forward a few years and the itch to get another bike just got to be too much. I decided I would get a cheap used bike, about $1500. The wife said "NO!". But she had no idea, I was bitten and there was no turning back. The longer I waited, the more expensive the bike became, until finally I decided I would get the biggest bike I could - a Harley. She totally freaked at that idea, she was afraind I would turn into a Hells Angel, so she decided to compromise. I could get a bike as long as it wasn't a Harley. I bought a 1989 GL1500. We rode and loved it for a couple of years, and then one day the pregnancy test came back positive. I was making payments on the GL1500, so I decided to sell it. To make a long story a little shorter, I went through several bikes after that. She didn't like any of them. Fast forward 25 years and I stumbled across this 2012 GL1800 that I have now. We were just killing time so I took her to see it. She sat on it a minute or two, then hopped off and whispered "buy it" when the sales dude walked away.

It was in my garage that night, and I am loving every mile.