Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Flying.low5
Motorcycle: 1996 Goldwing GL1500

Re: Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Post by Flying.low5 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:20 pm

I was looking for a trike and saw this sweat white wing. I bought it and I love it. I'm short so riding a 2 up is a challenge by myself.

Monsignore
Motorcycle: '83 GL1100 w/ CSC Friendship I sidecar, '05 R1200GS

Post by Monsignore » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:24 pm

I was looking for a sidecar rig and saw this ugly thing on Craigslist for $3,600.

Sir Rides Alot
Motorcycle: 1996 1500 SE

Post by Sir Rides Alot » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:39 am

I have owned several bikes over the last 3 decades but have just recently started buying/riding Goldwing bikes and I'm loving it!
My x-wife *cough* and myself used to ride all over the Midwest here on a 550 Silverwing back in the 1990s. That bike performed really well with a passenger on it surprisingly.
I now own a 1985 1200 Aspencade ( 129,000 miles on it and runs perfectly) in which I'm currently trading in for a 1996 1500 S.E. this week at our local Honda dealer.

What made me purchase these Goldwing bikes?
The comfort, power, storage, performance, looks, and they are just flat out FUN to ride. :)
I will eventually purchase a 1800 in the future , but for now this 1500 S.E. will do and then some.

( Proud new owner of a 1996 S.E. 1500 ) :D
~~~ We are fishers of men.....we catch em and Jesus cleans em ~~~
Sir Rides Alot

dbbrickwood6404
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000 1981gl1100

Post by dbbrickwood6404 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Hello all I'm new but I've got a wing story and a half. I had a 1978 gl1000 black n good vetter fairing and bags 10th grade I bought it from a deploying sailor in our apartment complex against my mother's knowledge anyhow 1981 fast forward I rode for years put in storage came back moved to nv built a Harley sold the wing to my buddy moved back to ssouth carolinal got recalled to military duty 2 tours Afghanistan came home got reassigned to California where I found out I had p.t.s.d. then I had a stroke a heart attack and developed parkinsons and a destroyed lower back VA. Insisted there was nothing could be done for 7years they've strung me along and out fast forward private drs fixed my back 7 months ago I hadn't ridden in 9years til 6 weeks ago my buddy I sold the wing to got a new Harley and the 78 49000 original miles he gave it back to me 4 weeks ago some added comfort with a big seat and backrest I'm riding again my first original cruiser again a bit faded. Now not for long I know how to airbrush and do custom paint that's why I own a wing again my old familiar friend

romanfj
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by romanfj » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:15 am

I'm 5'6" and my GL1100 was the first full dress tourer I've ever found that I could touch the ground with both feet.

Plus, I always thought these were the coolest looking bikes when I first saw them back in '82.

Sure, I'd love heated seats/jacket and gloves, but I can barely rock the 1800 behemoth off the kick stand onto center balance.
Current 1983 GL1100I
Current 1982 GL1100I/1983 Apencade hybrid (all body pieces are from the '83 A'cade), first Wing
Former CM900
Former CB400
Former Suzuki Savage

deanbw
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade . Honda xl600r, '68 z50, '82z50, '80cx500c, '00 klr250

Post by deanbw » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:11 pm

I wanted a touring bike and if I bought a harley I would need a second person to drive the truck.

leakyroof58
Motorcycle: '87 Aspencade
Sold: 1975 Kawi 900 Z1, Honda 350 Scrambler

Post by leakyroof58 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:04 pm

Wanted one ever since I had my Kaw 900. The GWs would
often pull up to me at a red light - I couldn't even HEAR their
engines over my snarly 900. So, I thought "someday I want
one of those". And now, retired, I finally have one. Should
have bought one 20 years ago.............Honda's masterpiece.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Short version....
I always liked the Goldwing since I first saw one in '75, but I had just bought a new BMW which I ended up riding for more than 30 years and 172,000 miles.

1992... A friend was looking for a bigger bike and we saw a nice '76 Wing for sale.
I told him he should buy it. He did, and rode it for a number of years...('till he got a Harley)

Fast forward to 2012. I bought the poor neglected Wing from him and restored it, and RODE
it until June of this year.

June 2016....Another friend bought a new 2016 Goldwing. The dealer didn't want to give him
much of anything for his '99 on trade, so he decided that I should have it.
In fact he INSISTED that I should have it!
That's right, he GAVE me his 99 Gl-1500 SE, FREE, GRATIS, NO CHARGE!
So now I'm riding a bright red 99 SE with 70,000 miles, a bike on which
EVERYTHING WORKS! No restoration needed!

And now my '76 Gl-1000 is for sale, since I can't keep two of them.
I hate to let it go, since I have so much money and sweat equity in it.
But I have to.
If you know someone who wants a nice, road ready, 76 Wing,
there's one available here in north Jersey.

It's nice to have good friends.
Thanks Steve!!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

moldor
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Post by moldor » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Well, where to start... I got my licence in the 70's at the tender age of 17, and the first bike I rode (well, was riding sans licence for a few months) was a Honda CT-90 (a.k.a. a "Postie" bike in Australia). Don't knock them, they're built like tanks and tgere's at least 1 charity event here each year where you can pay to ride one across some of the most inhospitable country in Australia, then donate it to chariry.

My first "real" bike was a Kawasaki Z250 Twin. Had it for many years until my (then) wife talked me into selling it. Which wasn't a bad thing as I bough #3 then.

Number 3 was a Honda CX-500 Shadow, still one of the nicest bikes I've ever owned. I think I clocked up something like 20,000K on it in a few months. I was hooked.

Couple of years later, after moving to the UK after the divorce and shagging myself silly for 3 years, I came back and bought a grey GL-1100 Aspencade - it was either that or a BMW K1... I rode a K1 in Germany and when it hit 250K on their Autobahn I had to change underwear.

The GL1100 eventually went as my boss at the time didn't liek bikes and if I wanted to keep my job... Needless to say that, in hindsight, I made a bad decision. I sold it and bought a Toyota - and endures several years of misery and loathing every time I saw a Goldwing. But at that time The GL1500 in Australia was near as not to $50K on the road, and I couldn't afford anywhere near that.

So I bought a Suzuki GSX1100EFE for $3500 and that was my sole transport for 18 months - until some peanut backed his VW Beetle out of the drive as I came over the hill - T-boned him at about 40K and cartwheeled over the vehicle - someone said it was 8 times, but I don't remember.

Fast forward 2 years to when I met my current Mrs - I don't mind admitting I was now officially terrified of bikes but still loved them. A friend we ran into in a school carpark had a Ducati and offered me a ride - within 10 minutes I was popping wheelies on it. Happiest day of my life at that point. But I still didn't buy one.

For years the Mrs would see me drooling over bikes and bike mags, and whenever any weekend riders stopped at our local cafe I'd be out checking on the bikes... "I'll never stop you from buying one" she'd say "But I won't necessarily like it".

So when I turned 50 in 2009 I decided enough was enough. I picked up a 1995 Anniversary model GL-1500 for $13K and rode it from Canberra to Bowen Mountain - about 500k. By the time I got home 'd have sworn I'd never been off a bike in those many years.

She been in ONE bingle (idiot driver stopped on a blind corner and I ran into the back of him), and only reasonably slowly at around 20K, but my (then) 13yo daughter was on the back and I was more worried about her getting off unharmed and so didn't do my normal tuck-and-roll learned from riding trail bikes... Result was 480kg of bike on my left ankle, breaking it. Now have a titanium bar in there.

And I couldn't be happier.. I Haven't ridden much this year due to illness and really REALLY shitty weather here, but Spring is just around the corner and Megatron is itching to be taken for a LOOOOONG ride.

Rwilkerson
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Gl 1800

Post by Rwilkerson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:45 am

My wife taked so much I had to have something to get away from the noise reason #1. And I always wanted the biggest and best!
I have lived in Arizona for about 10 years and the only thing I had seen was the usual tourist traps now have logged many of the lakes and mountain roads and studying, planning suggested motorcycle rides of interests.
Due the the summer heat I now have time to improve on the audio, speakers,and accessory wiring (previous owner used wire nuts everywhere) repair broken plastic and replace scratched chrome funny how it scratches so easily.
Finally I was getting so fat (how fat was he?) I needed something to get me off the couch and away from Fox news (I do like the ladies on that station). My first go around of prying myself off the floor I lost a total of 13 pounds of course put all back when it got to hot.
I look forward to meeting more riders and maybe some 2-3 day rides I really want to do the route 66 and some of Lake powell and southern Utah parks been many years since I was there.
Back in the 70's I had a 59 triumph tiger drove down the road and turned around to pick up the parts. As one gets older sometimes one longs for the early days of being in the wind as truly be there and to own some of the finer things in life and the Goldwing is that!

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 27,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

Post by wingpilot08 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:25 am

My next door neighbor needed to borrow my truck to get to work one day to pick up some items. I said not an issue, I had a yamaha Maxim650 I could ride to work. However my neighbor insisted that I take his 1200 Wing. So on a whim, I took the bike..was really impressed with the ride and power. But I had other things in mind and went and bought a 1987 Yamaha Venture XVZ-1300. That got me hooked on the big touring bikes. Kept the Venture until 1996 and over 100,000 miles and decided to get a new bike...that's when the 1996 GL1500SE came into my life! Great bike went everywhere on it...just last year I went to a Honda shop to price some parts when I was introduced to my current 2008 GL1800HPNA...I did sell the 1500 to another rider, the 96-SE had 210,000 miles on the odo and is still going down the road! Will never need to get any other bike....I will sitck with GoldWings!!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 32,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

Charlie Victor
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800/AN

Post by Charlie Victor » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Back in January 1988 I passed my driving test for motorcycle after some 15 hours of (legally required) instruction; never opted for a learner's (then still possbile), being a college student for lack of money to buy a decent bike. In early March I couldn't resist anymore and bought a dirt-cheap, partly chopped (ratted, as it is called now) CX500C from a guy who switched to a similar design that better met his aspiration to fit in with what he thought were the real guys (you figure the brand). That two-tone red CX was one nice little bike! Open pipes, great fun - should have never sold it.
After school a few weeks later in late April I happened to stop by at a nearby dealership, and learned that the next Saturday -first in May, iirc- would be the season-starter with Honda visiting with it's complete programme. Everyone with a valid license could test any type of Honda motorcycle. Asked for it, yes that included the recently introduced GL1500/6.
That Saturdaymorning -beautiful spring day- as I figured there would be a (huge) line-up, I was there more than a half hour before the doors opened. Guess what ... for nearly two hours nobody else showed up! So after filling out a waiver of some sort and my fresh license copied for credentials, and (the way I look at it now) hardly any experience, I got to ride this most expensive brand new BIG shiny motorcycle that was 3x larger, had 3x more cylinders with 3x more displacement, was probably 3x or more havier, and pushed out I don't know how much more power than I was used to... And it made 3x less noise, too ;-)

Anyway, with a motorcycle so smooth, within a single kilometer it felt surprisingly complete and perfectly fitting. It was then that I promised myself to one day get such a bike myself - despite the vow made years before in early childhood that I would get myself a Harley (back then, a few distant family members rode ElectraGlides and visited often). I rode the bike for only some 20 minutes in city limits and a brief stretch of 2-lane tarmac, not allowing myself more time for I didn't want to be regarded as selfish or greedy - there had to be others who wanted to experience this, and I did not want them to have to wait. Was I wrong... after I turned the bike back in, for more than one hour it just stood there unused. I still remember I kept walking around the shop with my eyes on the Goldwing - how badly I wanted to ask for another ride, but didn't dare!

Finally, it took me 26 years of saving up: in 2014 I was able to buy a near-new (only 3200 kms!) 2012 GL1800. And have added nearly 15000 kms since.

Mr Magic Fingers
Motorcycle: 1991 1500A

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:34 pm

Well, I started riding at the tender age of 9. Little Honda 50cc and 90cc bikes every once in a while that my friends had owned. When I was in grade 7 my dad purchased a 79 250xl Honda. Serious riding and serious love when he would let me use it. After he got comfortable on it he purchased a Goldwing and I did get to ride it once in a while. I have been a Goldwing guy ever since.

I have had other bikes but not the love I have for my Wings.

Tim
1) Experience - something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT? WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER?

My PHOTO ALBUM http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/Mr ... gers_39232

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:21 pm

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:Well, I started riding at the tender age of 9. Little Honda 50cc and 90cc bikes. My dad purchased a Goldwing and I did get to ride it once in a while. I have been a Goldwing guy ever since. I have had other bikes but not the love I have for my Wings.

Tim
Tim!......Two posts in 5 years. Where have you been? Probably riding that 1500 so much, you could never find the time. :lol:
Welcome back! When you get around to it, post a picture of your bike.

Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Mr Magic Fingers

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome back!!!

Next time I get down to my main system I will post a few pictures. I will also set up my gallery.

Tim

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:55 am

MrMagicFingers, your avatar sounds a bit like the extras that I need, but you left off the "stop stabilisers" for when the GW gets tired and needs a rest. 8-)
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:29 am

redial wrote:MrMagicFingers, your avatar sounds a bit like the extras that I need, but you left off the "stop stabilisers" for when the GW gets tired and needs a rest. 8-)
Cool!
"Assume Nothing"

Mr Magic Fingers

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Here's my ride and trailer.

I am in the process of setting up my gallery which will have a bunch (huge) amount of service and regular pictures.

Keep an eye out for me in the picture area.

Tim
Attachments

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Post by jandjgoldwing » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:10 am

My first bike was also a CB750, and both of my sons got motorcycle licenses and rode similar bikes before they learned to drive cars.

Just about anyone who has a Goldwing will state that he/she had a Harley. So, maybe the better question would be, "Why did you trade your Harley for a Goldwing?"

In my case, there were several reasons.

The Harley was entirely too much maintenance, even though I bought it new. The chrome plating sucks, right out of the box. Mirror, sissy bar, drive-belt cover and air cleaner cover replacement was an annual event. My wife and I both had Harley's, and we spent entirely too much time polishing and not enough time riding. My Goldwing is a 1988. Many of the folks who sell new motorcycles are younger than my bike. It honestly looks like it's last year's model, still turns heads, even when parked amongst a hundred chromed Harleys.

My HD DynaGlide was the most balanced bike I ever rode, and I do miss that. I used to ride, with wife on back, the "Loop" in Ormond Beach, arms folded, without touching the handle bars (it had a throttle lock). Stopping on an 850 pound (over 1200 pounds with rider and passenger) Goldwing, depending upon things like road grade, loose stones, weather, etc, can occasionally cause me to renew my ties with my church. However, my Goldwing has a wonderfully comfortable ride and REVERSE!

And, although it may actually condemn me to hell just to say it, Harley's are too loud. We live in an "over-55" community (in reality, it's a mid-70's community) and many folks are negatively affected by loud noises.

Posing... That's just not my style.

rick457
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500k Goldwing

Post by rick457 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:32 am

I guess I was looking for comfort and reliability, the goldwing is all of that and then some, and when it comes to performance it's no slouch either.
The seating position is another factor as well. I feel in control of the motorcycle with respect to footpeg placement. If you've rode offroad or dirt bikes
then you understand. Don't take it wrong, there are some nice cruisers out there, just not my riding style.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:03 am

A few months ago I saw a couple bikes on the side of the road. I stopped to see if there was a problem.
Both bikes we're Harley Davidson's and one had a flat front tire. Fortunately they had a compressor and a tire repair kit.
While one guy worked on his flat the other came over to have a look at my Goldwing. He complimented me on the bikes looks then asked how old was it?
I told him it was a '94 and, at that time , it had around 145,000 miles on it.
He couldn't believe I would leave home on a bike that had that many miles on it!
He went on to tell me when his bikes reached 70 or 80 thousand miles, he lost trust in them and would trade them off for a low mileage bike.
He thought he might just have to look at a Goldwing when it came time for a new bike.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Payday Gabe
Motorcycle: 83 GL 1100 i : bagger style. 😎✌
012 Suzuki DL650a Vstrom
92 Yamaha Tdm 850 mk1
75 Moto Guzzi 850t scrambler style (work in progress )
82 CanAm 400 Qualifier enduro
82 Yamaha It 250 enduro
75 Honda TL 250 trials

Post by Payday Gabe » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:47 am

Morning members, , thought this thread would be a good place to do a short intro and the back story.
I'm 57, , happily divorced w /2 adults and 1 grandson. Been in vegas since July of 81. Hard to believe that long, but it's been a good gig so far. I'm a security officer at a major strip casino(Paris) for 13yrs. Unbelievable what people do /think when they come here.
Like, , do you act like this at home? Really! ! Probably do. Anyway, , the back story.
Was a junior in high school and saw photos of the the GL1000 in some bike magazine, and I thought, WOW , what a beautiful beast. I was in love . When it was finally released, a buddy and I skipped a full day of school, , hiked 2 miles through the woods to the local honda shop (this is in rural upstate new york) and had to wait 2hrs till the place opened. But it was worth it, , candy blue paint, chrome for days, and that honkin 4cyl opposed engine! Ohhhh my freaking god! I think I had a cerebral orgasm. Lol, I was done, ,that was it.
Fast forward 40 yrs and finally, ,a goldwing. I think it's just as pretty.

"The Brown Bomber "
"The Brown Bomber "

billy1st
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Goldwing HPN Dark Red

Post by billy1st » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:43 pm

I wanted a touring 6 cyl. This was in 2006. I was a kawasaki Fan, but they no longer had the big 6 cyl. So I almost settled for a BMW K1200Lt. Test rode, and with my girlfriend on it it seemed cramped and top heavy. So I headed to Honda dealer, and test rode a brand new Goldwing, and my girlfriend and I, drove it home the same day. Will not buy another one though.
Attachments

harveysmedlap
Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Goldwing

Post by harveysmedlap » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:26 pm

Started riding when I was 14, mostly Honda scrambles and an old Triumph 200 Tiger Cub. Got married shortly after high school and with the wedding money we bought a new 72 CL350 Honda. Knew the wife was a keeper right then. Owned several new Hondas and my favorite a KZ750 Kawasaki over the years. For our 30th anniversary we were going to go to Hawaii, however after a visit from my sons in-laws on there shiny Black 95 Goldingwing that plan changed. We soon owned a 89 Wing, then came the sidecar, followed by the 04 Wing/sidecar combo. We just found a 08 Wing with 439 original miles that will replace the 04 over the winter.

Intruder14
Motorcycle: 2003 Gold Wing

Post by Intruder14 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:06 pm

That's easy. Mama's failing health. We've toured and camped on a '73 350 Yamaha, '75 650 Yamaha, and a '79 850 Suzuki. (That one was unbreakable.) When I got my 2000 Intruder 1400, she complained more and more, and finally couldn't ride it anymore. We tried a Cavalcade for a while. The most comfortable, bar none, ride I have ever been on, two wheels or 4. Unfortunately, you can't spend all your time on the highway, and it was just too top heavy for my failing knees. Honda owned the touring market, and in 2003, the prices for the 1800 were good. Perfect. Low CG, 6-cylinder power, plenty of storage, lights to live for. And beautiful, tho' that is in the eye of the beholder. I loved my Honey behind me, and that is where she loved to be. Now, I can't hold up the Wing, or anything else I want to be on. But, you asked.