Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Briandsheffield
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition / 2006 1800 VTX Spec 3

Re: Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Post by Briandsheffield » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:27 pm

I have a 1800VTX 2006 and really like the cruiser.....but I wanted a touring bike. Looked at a BMW but wanted something I could work on. A friend of mine was selling this dads 1991 SE Anniversary Edition great shape. I just got it and love it so far. Plan to keep it a long time. Keeping the VTX LOL.

gildco
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Air

Post by gildco » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:07 pm

While in graduate school, I bought a used Ducati 125cc Mustang that was a real aerobic workout; I could walk up hills faster than that gutless dog. Sold it when the children came along.

In 2008, I surveyed my situation: my son had a BMW, my son-in-law had a Harley custom, and my nephew had a Harley custom special. Seeing their bikes and the fun they were having, while also remembering some of the good days I had with the Ducati, led me to ask my son-in-law about the pros and cons of a Harley. Then I was struck by a bolt of lightning: he asked me if I would like to take his prize for a ride. I did, then took my wife for a ride on it, and then began looking at bikes seriously.

Not wanting to spend a fortune for a big bike and then discover that I really did not enjoy motorcycling, I took the conservative path and settled on a Kawasaki 900 LT because it was more than a "starter" bike and yet powerful enough carry two of us. Before I bought it, I also attended the MSF Basic Riding course and built up my confidence, at least enough not to end up dead while driving home from the dealership. Good bike that we both loved to look at, but the passenger seat was designed to be an instrument of torture. Not even a Mustang seat prevented us from walking like Zombies after an afternoon ride. It did, however, serve us well for two years.

In 2010, a friend of mine noticed that his Honda dealer had just repossessed a 2008 GL 1800 air bag model with only 150 miles on it. We immediately drove down to Columbia, SC, and looked the bike over. It had all the features that I wanted. It also had great looks. The dealer asked me if I wanted to take it for a spin, and before he could turn around, I was in the seat and ready for a review of features. I was hooked, and my wife could not believe how comfortable the passenger seat was.

I traded in my Kawasaki with a small tear in my eye and took possession of the bike we still have. It is true that once you and your passenger experience the comfort of riding a Wing, you are hooked. I have to admit, though, that ever since I was a young man, I liked the distinctive sound of a Harley; the Wing sounds more like a sewing machine than a motorcycle. Glad that I made the trade, and do not miss the dope slaps my wife used to apply to my helmet to get me to stop; the intercom is wonderful.

habernaro
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing ABS

Post by habernaro » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:16 pm

I have friends who ride Honda Goldwings and Harley Full Dressers. The main reason I decided on the Goldwing was perceived reliability. After purchasing the Wing I found not only was it reliable, it had more power going over the Blue Ridge mountains. No downshifting required. In 13 years and over 100,000 miles on the wing, except for 3 tune-ups, brakes and tires it seems like the only repairs I have had to take the bike to the shop for are the seals in the front forks. The second time to replace the seals will be later this month, April 2016. A couple of things I wish Honda would do would be to add a 6th gear and have ABS on the base model.

NLRHINO
Motorcycle: 1995 GL 1500 SE

Post by NLRHINO » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Bought my first Goldwing in 2015. It's a 1995 GL 1500 20th anniversary edition. I started out on a 2009 Honda Shadow 750, out grew that quickly. Bought a 2002 Yamaha Midnight Venture Royalstar. Beautiful bike, but when I took my friends Goldwing for a spin, I was hooked. Looks like I'll be a wingnut for the rest of my riding days.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:12 pm

Enjoy your new Wing!! Lived in St John's '85 to '87, only had summer in August as I remember it - hope it has changed for you. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

NLRHINO
Motorcycle: 1995 GL 1500 SE

Post by NLRHINO » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:57 pm

I wish the seasons had changed bro. We pretty much haven't had much of a summer the past couple of years. But I managed to put over 5000 kms on the wing in 4 and a half months of riding last year. Ride safe pal. All the best

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:19 pm

Just need some heated gear. A liner and gloves from Gear Canada (out of Toronto) are great for the off season. Get the rheostat for the liner and gloves as well - around $400.00 but well worth it. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by walker70 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:18 am

I bought my 86 Goldwing Aspencade partly because I wanted it and also in memory of my wife who passed away a year and a half ago,she always loved riding on my 84 Nighthawk when we first got married,but I made the change to a Buell firebolt and it was mostly made for one person riding,so a few months before she passed away she asked me to get one that we both could ride and I always liked the look of the 86 Goldwings,the one I bought needs a bit of work because the previous owner stuck it in a barn and I got it for a good price,but I can do most of what needs to be fixed myself,with some input from you guys on here if I run into anything I have to scratch my head over. :D

slickster
Motorcycle: 05 gl1800

Post by slickster » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Had a 1500 then rambled around to a Yamaha Venture then a v-strom 1000 then a Harley Road King....always knew the 1800 was the best touring ride out there and finally traded the harley for an 05' 1800...WHY did I wait so long...like going from a 1966 F150 to 2016 Caddy.....

Cattmando
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100

Post by Cattmando » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Do you really wanna hear this long story? My current 83 Naked Wing is a new purchase (last Sunday). It's really nothing special, just another old bike. But it's a throw back to earlier days as well. It's my fourth 'Wing. Also had an original 75, a new 83 (year old left-over in 84), and a new 88. Other bikes before and after, some standards, some sport, some dirt. Best were three ST1100s, 2 91s and 2001 ABS. Lost the last one in an accident in Phoenix about 3 weeks ago. I survived, the bike didn't.

So, this 83 is the replacement, my only bike for the nonce. Expect I'll have more but gotta build a garage first. Found this one on CraigsList in Indianapolis, picked it up last Sunday, and I'm happy. Only a couple minor glitches needed correcting. New plates (GORIDE) are on order. With only 46,000 miles, this bike is ready to Go Ride!!!!

cruzan_papa
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing GL1100

Post by cruzan_papa » Sun May 22, 2016 4:37 pm

My first bike ever was bought by my former boss and now bestfriend,Phil. I worked for him for a little over 3 years doing plant closures. Every once in a while he would tell me his bike stories that i always enjoyed to hear. He told me about when the GL1100s first came out he already had his paid off and paper work done all he was waiting for was his bike to arrive and when it did the salesman called him,he came down,got on his new GL1100,took it home and stripped it down. Anyways he wanted me to have a bike cause he was getting one and wanted me to come along with him. So his cousin has a bike shop and without me knowing he bought me one,and taught me how to ride lol I've got the bike now for 2 years and i love it. What I want to do to the bike now is custom paint and striping along with some chroming and polishing. I love this bike and want to keep and fix it up. Thanks phil! :D :D

Attachments

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike » Sun May 22, 2016 5:12 pm

Well, I road hard and long as a young man. Built a few HP bikes and a couple of customs. Then the kids showed up so I started fishing Lake Erie for excitement! After 25 yrs I started restoring my old '78 Yamaha 750 Special. Still working on that one. Been looking at Valkyries for 3 years. To many carbs and too much money! So I started looking at older Wings. I never liked all the plastic and thought they looked like spaceships but I am in love with the engine design. Flat engines are just built right! I drive Subaru's also. Another thing I like is that the footpegs are under your butt where they belong as opposed to out front like a Harley.
Last March an SEi showed up on Craigs List. 44,000 miles. The price was right and the bike is beautiful so I bought it. It is stock with no junk added. I liked the fact that the fuel injected model is faster and may be better with the ethanol gas. This bike is the Cadillac of the 4 cyl Wings.

I am now in the process of updating the maintenance. New timeing belts, the old ones were OEM! New filters, fix air ride, new tires, new break pads and caliper boots. New fork seals, update stator wireing harness and a general clean and shine. Very little rust on this bike, chrome looks great! The engine is checking great, plugs are burning perfect, cooling system is clean. Wiring harness is virgin and have not found a green connection yet. I did have to replace the battery ground cable. She cranks much better now. Will be riding this baby in a few weeks if all goes well. I am an old construction worker and will ride the Wing to work and will retire soon so this will be my travel bike. Can't wait!...Rusty

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Tue May 24, 2016 11:43 pm

May your upcoming retirement be filled with pleasant days to go riding, and for the wet days - may your Honey Dew list be short! ;)
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Hazmeat
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 SE

Post by Hazmeat » Sun May 29, 2016 11:22 pm

After divorcing my practice wife, I remarried a Scotch-Irish ball of fire! After being married only a few years we began talking about getting a motorcycle...five years later I was fed-up with the talk and really began searching. Last year I found a good deal on a 1994 GL1500 with trailer...after a test flight I drove it home!

I specifically aimed at the Goldwing because I was going to be riding 2-up and I wanted to make my Honey happy while riding. We put just over 1500 miles on the bike before I made the first payment...as of now, almost 9000 miles later, she loves being on the back of the bike!

I've run in to several people who ride and I'm always impressed on how friendly and helpful. This is a way of life I will be enjoying until I'm pushing up the daisies!

Hope to see you on the road 8-)
I'm the one Mother warned you about...

Wingryder1
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Gl1500 SE three older goldwings, and a host of other cycles going clear back to High School with a 58 Cushman Eagle.

Post by Wingryder1 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:37 am

pretty old post but I will jump in as well.
Like most been riding since little kid.. Always behind the curve buying used because of hungry kids. In mid eighties the wife and I wanted to join a local touring club. Most had Goldwings. Our first was a 1976. Yes a old gl1000.
That was fine until I saw a 1980 gl1100 in the local dealership with 1800 miles on it. And no front end. Bought it, repaired it.. and sold it about ten years later with 50K on it. But the reason for the sale was a wrecked 1994 Gl1500 that we bought from an insurance company. (see a trend here?) Hauled it home in pieces. Had 55K on it and was I think 5 years old. Good old internet provided every used part I needed and had the bike on the road with fresh tires and paint the following spring. Wife had a Hang Ten seat on the 1100 so she was not thrilled to give that up. However.. one good ride on the 1500 and she was sold. The bike is just coming up on 130k and runs smoother than any other 1500 I have been on.
Now if I was ten years younger and could find the exact same wrecked Gl1800.....

paid4c4
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing 1800 Motor Trike, 2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited

Post by paid4c4 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:52 pm

I currently ride a 2013 Harley Ultra Limited which weighs in at 900 pounds without my fat ars on it. I've been riding for 45 years but have never ridden two up. Last year when I got married my wife Kathy told me she would like to ride with me sometimes. Well at 66 I fear my legs won't safely support the weight on the Harley, Kathy and me. So I have always wanted a GW trike and by luck found a 2006 GW1800 Motor Trike with 20K miles from the original 76 year old owner. As we pulled into the drive way when we went to look at it I told Kathy if that "Wing" is as nice as it looks I'll be driving it home. About a half an hour later Kathy was following me as I drove the trike home. I'm about a thousand miles in riding time on it and love it. I'm still learning the service and mechanics. So far I've changed oil and filter, airbags, air line and fittings and leveled the trike box while servicing the trike portion of the bike. I feel lucky to have for me the best of both worlds, a two wheeler I really like and a trike I really like.
Bill

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:54 am

I started out on MCs when I bought a '70 Norton 750 in 1972. A couple years later, I traded on a new '74 Triumph Trident. Later I graduated college, joined the VSP, got married, worked my career, no MC rides.

In 1994 I started riding some again on my Trident .... and was taking short rides after work with my buddy (when I transferred here in 1981, he was assigned as my immediate supervisor and was such until he retired 1994) & who rode his FLHTC or Sportster. My wife rode as passenger but it was not comfortable for her so rides were limited. I had taken notice of Gold Wings but was still paying extra to pay off my log home we had built. My buddy told me that I would love a 1200 Gold Wing. He had always had HDs himnself, but he did once in the mid-late '80s own a blue '85 GL1200 Interstate .... until he found his '86 FLHTC.

August 1995 while on a ride we spied a GL1200 Ltd 4 sale. stopped, looked it over, I discovered buddy had lead me this way to see it. Wife loved how the pass seat felt. Bike was loaded .... but it also had sat out some. Next week I had to go to the academy to teach a Acc Inv class and was chatting on a break with the guys and mentioned I needed a nice Gold Wing. A unit from Va. Beach area spoke up about a Gold Wing a buddy of his wanted to sell .... so I got the guys name and number. Following Friday night, back home in western part of state, my wife and I were having supper with my buddy and his wife and I mentioned the guy's name wanting to sell a GW.

He lit up .... the guy selling the Wing had trooped with my buddy back when both were rookies in the '60s / early '70s .... so nothing doing but he called him on the phone as soon as we got back to the house. That was Friday night, Monday were were towing my trailer with my buddy's Suburban from the Shenandoah Valley of Va. to Va. Beach with our wives .... great trip .... bike had 26,xxx miles, was in great shape .... and so I hauled it home.

Still have that '85 GL1200A (Vintage Red) .... but I lost my buddy in 2005 due to a heart attack.

We also have a '97 GL1500SE Lehman Trike (Candy Spectra Red) .... and I still have the Trident.

Bad Blake
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing
2000 Valkyrie Tourer
1999 Valkyrie Interstate
2003 Valkyrie Dressed as a Tourer

Post by Bad Blake » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:18 pm

In 2006 my wife suggested I get another bike, she thought I missed riding after selling my 01 Valkyrie Interstate 2 years earlier. I found a '99 Valkyrie Interstate a month later with 7K miles on it. She said she really didn't like riding the Interstate so I bought a 2K Valkyrie Tourer. One day we were in a Honda dealership for some chrome for the Valkyries, while there she had a conversation with two ladies whose husbands rode Goldwings. They convinced her that if she ever sat on a Goldwing she would never get off. She told me that she always liked the Goldwings and if I got a Goldwing she would ride more, this was January 2012. The next month, I ask her to drive me to this gentleman's house, I rode a 2008 Goldwing Navi home. She has ridden it 2 times, now I'm stuck with 3 Valkyries and a Goldwing.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:30 am

It could be worse and be stuck with 3 ex-wives and one Gold-digger :lol:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:27 pm

Deputy Sheriff Loy Hendrix, may he rest in peace (cancer), convinced me to buy my 1st Goldwing.
He was "Goldwing" all the way. Nothing was as good as a Goldwing if you're going to really ride.
Its been over 20 years since he passed away but I still stop and visit him from time to time. He was a good man. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Flying.low5
Motorcycle: 1996 Goldwing GL1500

Post by Flying.low5 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm a single woman who recently purchased a Goldwing GL1500 trike. My previous ride was a Sweat Honda shadow 750. Having lost my husband of 27 years, I had no one to ride with. I missed riding but did not like to ride my big bike and drop it. I am 5.0 and couldn't pick it up. So I decided to look for a trike and found this beautiful Goldwing. It is a bit different, handling, steering in particular, but I really like it and it has gotten me back on the road! Gas mileage from 60mPH on my bike, to 35 city, is a bit of a change, but nothing ventured, nothing gained! I'm planning a trip to Florida from Connecticut next summer...

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:31 pm

My wife and I had a Ural sidecar that we loved riding. We rode with our local SCRC chapter, and most of them rode Wings. They had to wait for us to catch up to them constantly. This past June we went to the National SCRC Rally in Yosemite and our Ural developed electrical issues preventing it from starting so we were sitting around with our chapter one night and started looking for Goldwing sidecar rigs online. We found this nice looking rig in Oregon and I gave the guy a call when we got home. Ended up driving our smart car up to Cottage Grove, Or where we bought our '94 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar hack, and then I drove it home to San Jose, Ca with the wife following in the smart car. While I have 5 years of sidecar experience I had never done a 600 mile day on a rig, or even on a 2-wheeler so it was an adventure!
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Bad Blake
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing
2000 Valkyrie Tourer
1999 Valkyrie Interstate
2003 Valkyrie Dressed as a Tourer

Post by Bad Blake » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:04 am

From Oregon to San Jose, had to be a beautiful ride.

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:50 am

Bad Blake wrote:From Oregon to San Jose, had to be a beautiful ride.
It was an amazing ride! It was I5 the entire way, but other than my wrists being a bit stiff I was surprisingly feeling pretty good at the end - better than I've ever felt after 600 miles in a car...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

gonguj
Motorcycle: 1997 GL 15500 SE

Post by gonguj » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:32 am

1. Reputation of reliability
2. Reverse gear
3. Trunk(s) size
4. Engine size
5. Standard accessories (radio, onboard compressor, cruise control)
6. Excellent lights/ range of High/Low beams
7. Raiding comfort
8. Asking price vs. overall vehicle condition and mileage