I gotta new camera today

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

I gotta new camera today

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:31 pm

I finally broke down and bought a better camera, I know some of my photo's were just sad. Once I asked our Admin. what camera he had because I was so impressed with the quality of his photo's, I think he said it was a Sony.. The camera I had for still pictures was a old HP 2.1 MP camera :shock: that is held together with tie wire because when it was dropped the batteries door clip broke and the wire holds it together,,ha ha it works... :lol: :lol: ok ok ...hey look at all those photo's I managed to produce with it :lol: shut up :evil: :lol: .. And the video camera I used [sad] was the cheapest one someone could buy, it's a Vivitar the girls got me for Christmas last year or two ago. :lol: .I promise the quality of this new camera will be much better, the videos should be better, it's not the top of the line by no means but it will do...It's way better than what I had and at least the flash works on this one..ha ha...Here's some photo's and please if you want to display your camera and sample photo's please do so...
It cost 75 on ebay
Need to wash the bike
Need to wash the bike
:shock:

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: I gotta new camera today

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Me too. I used to be into photography big time back in the film days. When film kinda disappeared I went with the point ands shoot digitals mainly because I didn't want to lay down the cash for the Digital SLR. Finally bit the bullet and bought a new camera. Probably not something I'll haul around on the bike but we'll see. It's a big learning curve. The thing can do so much.

Got a decent deal on a Canon T3i bundled with a long zoom lens and a mono-pod, memory card, case and shirt.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:37 pm

I hope you like the powershot, I have had several of them and always had great results..

Gary

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:42 pm

I gotta new camera today

I finally broke down and bought a better camera, I know some of my photo's were just sad. Once I asked our Admin. what camera he had because I was so impressed with the quality of his photo's, I think he said it was a Sony.. The camera I had for still pictures was a old HP Here's some photo's and please if you want to display your camera and sample photo's please do so...

IMG_0010.JPG

That is a bit like mine, but the trouble is getting the pinhole to line up so that everything is in focus :roll: They do work better if the box is filled with air, but havent worked out where the chips (aka fries) go to make it digital :lol:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 pm

I do not know what you're favorite beverage is over that way Len but I want some... :lol: I wasn't kidding about my other camera, I had to show it off, I might sell it on ebay for One Thousand American Dollars :shock: Hey it's a classic.. and it has my stamp of approval except the flash don't work :shock: It's been wired together for years... :lol: :lol:
No flash in this photo
No flash in this photo
I took this one in the dark using the flash,  I never had it so good...
I took this one in the dark using the flash, I never had it so good...

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:10 am

I gotta new camera because it's my birthday today.... :D Yeahhhhh ...Wife's home from work, girls are home from school...I'm 53 today...Yipppeee ... :shock: :lol: It's a good pretty day out for a ride.. :D the Interstate is just waiting for my Interstate....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:54 pm

littlebeaver wrote:I finally broke down and bought a better camera, I know some of my photo's were just sad. Once I asked our Admin. what camera he had because I was so impressed with the quality of his photo's, I think he said it was a Sony.. The camera I had for still pictures was a old HP 2.1 MP camera :shock: that is held together with tie wire because when it was dropped the batteries door clip broke and the wire holds it together,,ha ha it works... :lol: :lol: ok ok ...hey look at all those photo's I managed to produce with it :lol: shut up :evil: :lol: .. And the video camera I used [sad] was the cheapest one someone could buy, it's a Vivitar the girls got me for Christmas last year or two ago. :lol: .I promise the quality of this new camera will be much better, the videos should be better, it's not the top of the line by no means but it will do...It's way better than what I had and at least the flash works on this one..ha ha...Here's some photo's and please if you want to display your camera and sample photo's please do so...

I've had a lot of digital cameras, beginning with the old Sony Mavicas, that took an awesome 640x480 image, and saved it to a floppy disc that you stuck right into the camera.

I have three cameras right now. The first is a little Sony that is probably 7 or 8 years old now. It is not that high resolution, but it takes fantastic close-up and low-light pictures, which is why I use it for all my How-To articles. It's covered in greasy fingerprints! I love it for this so much, that when the one I had finally died, I went to eBay and bought a used version of the exact same camera.

My main go-to camera is a Panasonic Lumix superzoom point and shoot. It is an all-round good camera - not exceptional at any one thing, but really good at everything. It takes HD video with stereo audio, very good quality pictures, and has an amazing optical zoom on it. It is not that good in low light, definitely not as good as the Sony.

I also have a cheap Pentax waterproof camera that I use when I am somewhere where I know I will, or have a fair chance of getting wet. It takes decent pictures, but nowhere near the quality of the Sony or the Panasonic.

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Wife was in Staples today getting some supplies for the store and ran across a Vivitar 810HD for $50.00 on sale. Started to play with it and it's kind of neat. Uses an SD card. Takes photos and video. Thing fits in the palm of my hand and is super light. Hey can't go wrong with the price for a quick and easy. Might just velcro it to my helmet for fun.

Al Waters
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Gold Wing

Postby Al Waters » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:35 pm

I have always been one to try and not spend much on a camera. I let my riding buddies do that. The problem is as years go by, depending on what you want to do, will depend on how good a camera you want and how much that will cost you. My latest and inexpensive camera is a Sony Cybershot still camera which also does pretty good video at 720. I am one for optical zoom and get what I get for the megapixal. In this case it is 14.1. I dont need that much but it is nice for cropping some pictures.

When I ride, I just hold the camera up and push the button at anything that looks interesting. Its amazing how lucky you can get with some great photos. My buddies went full tilt on cameras so when it comes to portrait pics on those tour rides, they got me beat but I hang with them on the action still shots.

We picked up some mounts at the local camera store that attach very nicely to those guards that protect your Gold Wing if it falls. While riding, I can actually lean over and turn it off and on. Sometimes I turn it off when I thought I turned it on but that is what editing is for. There is no doubt that you can get some real nice stuff if you have a rider who likes to do editing. Not me. The other guy. He did one of our tours in Blu Ray. OMG. You have to see it to believe it. We have seven years of tour rides and if we dont sit down and watch the DVD video, we listen to the music in the back ground. We know where we were.

That led us to annually doing canvas pics or metal prints of our rides for gifts to each other and hanging on the walls for others to see. They tell stories and hold memories.

And like the other fellow, I started with a Sony Mavica also. It just depends on what you want to do with your camera

Thanks, Al Waters

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:13 am

WingAdmin. what was that smaller sony again...?. We know that little bugger is good, but what photo's did you take with the better camera...? Do you have one that you can post and can I have the model # of the little sony pretty please in case I lose this one or drop it..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 am

The Sony is a DSC-W70 - 3072x2304 (7 megapixels)
The Panasonic is a Lumix DMC-ZS3 - 3648x2736 (9 megapixels)
The Pentax is an Optio WS80 - 3648x2736 (9 megapixels)

All of the pictures on the How Tos on that I wrote were taken with the Sony.

I've taken the identical picture with each of the cameras, to give you an idea of the differences. By far the Sony takes the nicest pictures, in my opinion. All cameras were set to full automatic. The Panasonic has a very wide angle lens, which I find far more useful than the zoom - but it also has the most powerful zoom. Click on the images for larger versions.

Panasonic Interior With Flash

Pentax Interior With Flash

Sony Interior With Flash

Panasonic Interior Without Flash

Pentax Interior Without Flash

Sony Interior Without Flash

Panasonic Exterior

Pentax Exterior

Sony Exterior

Panasonic Exterior Full Zoom

Pentax Exterior Full Zoom

Sony Exterior Full Zoom

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Wow, now that's cool, what a great comparison...I think I like the Panasonic, the picture far outweighs the others, you can't really tell much difference in the latter two though but there is a difference..That little sony is a good camera, just look at all those how too's, amazing photo's...Thank you so much.

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:03 am

Hey Beaver let me know if you get that big money on Ebay for your old camera, I have a camera with a broken battery door too but hold it closed with a rubber band. :lol:

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:10 am

wally wrote:Hey Beaver let me know if you get that big money on Ebay for your old camera, I have a camera with a broken battery door too but hold it closed with a rubber band. :lol:

Ya, ditto that. I could use some Christmas cash. Really needed to upgrade my camera. The OLD point and shoot wasn't doing it anymore.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:37 pm

A couple years ago while I was into the classic car circuit, I got tired of pocket cameras and the limited resolution. Now, you can get a small 10mp camera, not a couple years ago. I, also, used to be an avid photog and took many a 35mm photo and missed the feel and quality shots of an SLR. While we were in the Bay Area, I bought a Canon Rebel EOS digital SLR. I have been happy with it ever since. The photo quality is beyond comparison. Yes, now the Rebels are 10mp while mine is 8, but it still takes fantastic pictures. The rechargeable battery seems to last forever and with a 1g flash card, I can take slews of pictures at one time.

I know, it's more cumbersome to lug around than a pocket camera. Isn't everything a trade off in life?
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:53 pm

wjnfirearms wrote:A couple years ago while I was into the classic car circuit, I got tired of pocket cameras and the limited resolution. Now, you can get a small 10mp camera, not a couple years ago. I, also, used to be an avid photog and took many a 35mm photo and missed the feel and quality shots of an SLR. While we were in the Bay Area, I bought a Canon Rebel EOS digital SLR. I have been happy with it ever since. The photo quality is beyond comparison. Yes, now the Rebels are 10mp while mine is 8, but it still takes fantastic pictures. The rechargeable battery seems to last forever and with a 1g flash card, I can take slews of pictures at one time.

My new Rebel T3i is 18mp!!! 5 MB file sizes in best mode. Big learning curve. The thing can do so much.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:18 pm

The OLD point and shoot wasn't doing it anymore.

You might have to stand a bit closer for best effect :twisted:

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”