internet bike repair

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
pudd750
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate
1980 GN400
1979 CB750
1996 1200 Sportster
1961 T120R sold
1975 Norton sold
1972 Moto Guzzi 750
1976 Goldwing sold
1972 SL125 sold
Honda Fat Cat
RD350 sold

internet bike repair

Postby pudd750 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:17 am

i often dont think about much before inserting my large foot in my mouth, and the other day i thought id stop into a dealer to look around -
made the mistake of chatting about how id found forks complete in Texas for my wing, and just threw them on without further adieu- for almost free ($70) -they leak zero oil and work perfect-
this bike would be sitting if i hadnt found those forks , (and my usuable rear shocks for $70 in Fla complete with oil, the lines had never been off) and this type of transaction is why its so quiet in the dealers shop, he said - oops - he doesnt even get to see used bikes come in for a quick sale- craigslist gets them all- oops- those repairs would have been approx. $2000.00 at the dealer-(tubes were pitted, high miles)

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Re: internet bike repair

Postby mtn_boy1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Know what you mean, Pudd. But they did it to themselves. Local dealer wanted $189 to change the oil and lube my 83. Wanted $75 dollars to mount a tire IF I bought the tire from them. Thanks to this site, it's gonna have to be drastic before they work on my bike. We will never get all the value out of our bikes if we sell it, but we definitely get closer to it by selling it on CL rather than trade it in at a dealer.
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:33 pm

This has always been an issue with new vehicle dealers. Cars are not much different in the end. Expensive parts and service, deals that often aren't bargains to any degree, and the occasional outright ripoff.

I know for a fact working in the parts industry that the markup at dealers is ridiculous. They sell at a strict retail and make a good profit. Now, don't get me wrong. profit is what makes businesses viable, but there's limits. Unfortunately, they have a captive market to a significant degree. If the manufacturers don't release parts to the aftermarket, you're stuck and they know it. The used parts industry is booming, but there are parts that it isn't always advisable to buy used. The problem I just had with finding radiator hoses for the 1000 is one example. If Honda still had them, the upper alone priced at around $50! For a 6" piece of hose!! The entire replacement hose I bought at NAPA that cut into both hoses needed cost $12. NAPA made money on my purchase. I paid regular counter price. How do you explain a $50 radiator hose that is a fraction of the size of an automotive one?

I'm not going to even get into labor charges at the service departments. Those guys aren't getting rich working at a motorcycle dealer's service department, but the rates go up and up just like they do at your Ford or Chevy dealer.

Nah, Pudd....you didn't stick anything into any orifice of yours. You just stated the truth about how it really is. They have nobody to blame but themselves.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 pm

My mechanic friend is old school, he actually got mad at me once for telling him he should get on the internet and check out some of these sites, he got mad at me because he doesn't know how to turn a computer on... He isn't dumb or uneducated, he just never wanted to learn is all..The reason he got mad was I said he was missing out on some really cool stuff, and that I knew for a fact he would love it all too..Well, he might have gotten mad at me that day but once he learns how he will thank me, I'm sure of that.. Where else can you go to see so many cool machines and learn so much stuff....Enjoy other people loving the same stuff you do, and share a idea or two....So many guys are here just waiting to help, not to belittle but to help...What so neat about this site is this... there's something new to look forward to everyday... :D and it's ok to ask anything here, no matter how silly the question may be if you don't really know the answer chances are someone here will... :D

cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Postby cardinal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:59 pm

I had an extra bike, 2007 Suzuki C-50, that I took to my dealer and just left it with them on consignment. I told them they could keep anything over $2,000 they got.
They sold it 3 weeks later for $2300. That's the best $300 I ever spent, or didn't get.
I didn't have to put up with endless lowball offers on the phone, have to tell them they could take it on a little ride after they gave gave me the full purchase price in cash, that "No, I can't take a hundred bucks today and fifty each week till it's paid off", or ask them what the hell they're doing here if they can get a better bike cheaper somewhere else. I didn't have to watch their wife every minute so she didn't sneek off towards the gate to the back yard and when asked what she's looking for be told "OH! I just wanted to see what your back yard looks like. They do that to see if they can get in the house from the back and grab anything small enough to sneek back to the car. They also show up with 3 or 4 kids and one of them really needs to use the bathroom.
Horse puckey!! I'll gladly pay someone else to deal with those clowns!

I had both forks rebuilt for about $300 and a rear tire, that I bought from them, mounted for either $25 or $40, I don't recall the exact price for either, but it seemed reasonable to me. I'll drive the 40 miles to this dealer just to get an oil filter rather than the 2 miles the dealer nearest to me who is everything you guys are talking about and qualifies for the moniker "Stealership".

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:44 am

Man Cardinal, I know what you mean, I have a alot of tools and machines as such and everyone always wants to wander into my garage and chat with me, I hate solicitors man, I'm always in the shop [garage] working daily and people just walk right up and wanta sell you something...Wandering eye's ya know checking out all my tools and such...But it sounds like you did good through the dealership...

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 pm

I hate solicitors man,

LittleBeaver - hmmmm, "solicitors" have a different meaning here. Here they are practising lawyers/counsellors, and they instruct Barristers. Barristers are the ones that 'perform' in front of a judge, and you have to have a separate set of qualifications to become a barrister.

But "solicitors" are considered to be the 'low end' of the family of lawyers, and "door-to-door sales" and something to do with the 'oldest profession' comes to mind 8-) .

It is a shame that one cannot invite people to your own property, and expect it to remain yours. I dont mind showing my stuff, but prefer it to be on neutral ground. You dont mind them being interested, but not too much :!:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Some of the folks I call solicitors are complete strangers walking from house to house ringing door bells and trying their hardest to sell you their magical product [scaning your stuff :shock: ] it's usually some sorta cleaning solution in a bottle, these people are rarely from the area that you live, usually from out of town, and they travel from place to place.. Some others want to come in and clean your carpets or your white tennis shoes, and then there's the meat guy with a truck full of meat , trying to unload it on people for cheap or give you a great deal, guy's selling newspapers, oh and the magazine people, Oh man then the Holy folks and their religous ways :shock:Please don't get me wrong folks I would never bash anyones religous beliefs but I'm not pushing mine on them.. ...Many times I work all night at home on stuff, So I sleep in until around noon, well these people are always coming to the door and ringing the bell, I have a sign but it seems to get ignored so I have grown to dislike these people, or like I said the garage door is open when I work, and they just walk right up.. I don't hate anyone,I just dislike them, hate is the wrong word and I'm sorry for using it.... they wake me up and it bugs me because I have a sign on my door...No Soliciting....I probably wouldn't know how to act if one of you're solicitors from over there downunder came to my door, would I get upset?..Hummmmmmmm I shall plead the Fifth Amendment, To keep my mouth... :lol: shut... :shock: :shock: :lol:

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:15 am

Hey LB, why not try some Police tape around your block? It could be "Crime Scene", "POLICE - do not enter", "Building Site - do not enter without Hard Hat and HiVis Clothing". Any one of those should slow them down. You could have one across your garage, permanently :twisted: . An inventor like you should have not trouble hooking up so that it could be taken down as required.

Everyone needs their proper rest, - how else can you dream up new ideas :!: :!:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 am

My Honda dealer in Omaha "Dillion Brothers" is pretty good to me. I had a unfortunate nail issue with a rear tire on my Wing. The tire had maybe 1K on it at most, I called the dealer up and told him I need my rear tire fixed or replaced, he said they wouldn't take on the liablity with a plugged tire they would replace it but not repair. I said I understood that. He asked if the tire was loosing much air when I had rode it. I said I believed it was. He said he would pick up the bike with his enclosed trailer and put a new Dunlop E3 on it for 161.00 dollars. So that was my only visit to the dealer this season. As I do my own oil,fluid and filter changes....

Return to “Goldwing Chat”