Riding with high beams on

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Riding with high beams on

Postby crock4 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:31 pm

In my area it seems that riding with the high beams on has caught on with the local bikers. I get it that we need to do everything we can to be seen. What gets me is the ones that do it at night. I don't think it makes you safer if the vehicle coming at you has bright lights that blind you. Some bikes have headlights, as well as running lights all aimed high, and turned on so when they are coming at you it looks like a redneck pickup with the rollbar lights on, and you can't see a thing. I commute to work every day on a really bad two lane road with a lot of animals, and road consruction so this is an issue with me. Anyone else seeing this, or is it just the locals in the Daytona area. Anyway I'm done, thanks for letting me vent.

Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Riding with high beams on

Postby Mag » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I live at base of Mt St Helens in WA State, we have a lot of deer and unfortunately Elk (yes, Elk, nice BIG ELK).

So, at night, I drive with the hi beams on unless someone blinks at me, then I lower them. I have the deer whistles on the bike, do not know if they work or not but I have not hit one yet.

Hmmm, do they make Elk Whistles?

sparrowhawwk
Motorcycle: 78 GL
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Mag wrote:I live at base of Mt St Helens in WA State, we have a lot of deer and unfortunately Elk (yes, Elk, nice BIG ELK).

So, at night, I drive with the hi beams on unless someone blinks at me, then I lower them. I have the deer whistles on the bike, do not know if they work or not but I have not hit one yet.

Hmmm, do they make Elk Whistles?

The problem with high beams on at night is that the person coming towards you cannot see the road, and although I know what you are saying about the Elk :lol: , having a blind driver coming at you might be a bigger issue. I know it really annoys me. The best solution I have come up with so far is to mount a pencil beam light low on the right side so I can aim it down the right side of the road without blinding oncoming traffic. Unfortunately neither solution will help us see an animal that jumps out from behind the oncoming traffic. Now if someone would invent a small radar or sonar unit to look ahead and maybe a display screen about the size of a GPS I would be interested! As for deer whistles, well, when they first came out I saw a sample of how they work. Back when one of the Americade events was still held in Estes Park Colorado we were out for a ride. I was following someone that had the then new deer whistles mounted on his bike. We were coming down a long grade where we could see into the open meadows of the valley ahead. Actually I was glad I had dropped back some because as the rider ahead got closer to the deer grazing in the meadows they started to throw up their heads listening to the new sound and before you knew it they took off in every direction, including across the road. Other riders had passed before us and the deer didn't even stop grazing to look. I decided then that although the idea sounds good I didn't want them on my bike. Besides, I understand camels can't hear them anyway. :roll:

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:44 am

I run with the high beams on ALWAYS. I dim them when a car is coming and I usually dim them when I can see their head or tail lights. I forget sometimes and could kick myself when I do. It busts my chops when I flick them at someone that has them on and don't dim theirs.

sparrowhawwk
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:55 am

vtxcandyred wrote:I run with the high beams on ALWAYS. I dim them when a car is coming and I usually dim them when I can see their head or tail lights. I forget sometimes and could kick myself when I do. It busts my chops when I flick them at someone that has them on and don't dim theirs.

This brings up an interesting thought. Where I usually drive it is hard to use high beam because you barely get them on and you have to dim them again for oncoming traffic. After awhile it gets annoying and I just say to heck with it and leave them dimmed. Has anyone tried to rig an automatic dimmer on their bike? I know they are used on some cars so one of those systems should work on a motorcycle. Hmmmmm...........................! :?:

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

sparrowhawwk wrote:
vtxcandyred wrote:I run with the high beams on ALWAYS. I dim them when a car is coming and I usually dim them when I can see their head or tail lights. I forget sometimes and could kick myself when I do. It busts my chops when I flick them at someone that has them on and don't dim theirs.

This brings up an interesting thought. Where I usually drive it is hard to use high beam because you barely get them on and you have to dim them again for oncoming traffic. After awhile it gets annoying and I just say to heck with it and leave them dimmed. Has anyone tried to rig an automatic dimmer on their bike? I know they are used on some cars so one of those systems should work on a motorcycle. Hmmmmm...........................! :?:

I don't switch mine up and down a lot. If theres traffic I don't worry about it. It does happen sometimes.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:15 pm

I normally dim my brights as blinding somebody is a pet peeve of mine also. But I also have a set of running lights on but aimed low on the road. They are bright and at times like cresting a hill they do shine in oncoming eyes so I do turn them off then ,but feel like I ak driving in a tunnel,and have had close calls. There is no perfect system, just part of the chances we take.
Proud member Patriot Guard

sparrowhawwk
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Everyone has to do what they believe is best but there are a few things I took into consideration when I made the decision to always dim my lights for oncoming traffic. Aside from the fact that I could blind the oncoming driver, in most places I know of there is a law that says dimming is mandatory. If that oncoming vehicle is a police car it could get me a ticket I don't want. The second thing I always think about is what I am doing to the car drivers attitude regarding motorcycles. When I started riding on the street in the 60's things were not as good as they are now. Car drivers attitudes toward motorcycles were poor at best. I traveled around the country by motorcycle a lot in those days and I can tell you that pulling into a motel with a bright Vacancy sign and having it turned off until I left, in one case on again while I could still see it in my mirrors, was not a nice feeling. That was riding a quiet 160CL Honda. A lot of hard work has been done over the years by motorcycle clubs, manufacturers and dealers to improve that reputation. Most newer riders these days don't realize that and a lot don't care. I do. Every time my insurance goes up because of a careless rider getting into an accident well, let's just say it really gets my dander up. Of course that could also be an age thing! :lol:

This thread has got me thinking more and more about an automatic dim system on my bike. I think I may have found a supplier for HID conversions that claims to have DOT approved versions. If that turns out to be true I will be putting one in my bike. Obviously not dimming that would be an issue. :roll:

wayne ian
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 2006 suzuki C50ct

Postby wayne ian » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:21 pm

I show others the same courtesies that I would hope they would show me. On my Suzuki I have running lights and the right light is 55 watt and turned to the right to light up the ditch and tree line. The left is 35 watt and tilted slightly down.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm with Red on this one, +1....I don't use a whistle for the deer ... :shock: my singing usually spooks them away for miles... :D :lol:

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:59 pm

littlebeaver wrote:I'm with Red on this one, +1....I don't use a whistle for the deer ... :shock: my singing usually spooks them away for miles... :D :lol:

Now that is a funny.

I will hav to work on the riding, dimming them to oncoming. I understand everyone's comments, and always room for improvement....

I do not like to hear that deer will scatter in different directions....hmmm, it is pitch black out here at night so we will see what happens.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:03 pm

I use them in city daytime driving and when they don't bother anyone at night. I figure in the daytime they help to be noticed.
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard - Vetter State
1984 GL1200 Standard

Postby brianinpa » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:01 pm

I find it amazing that drivers and riders complain about how bright HID lights are and yet they also proudly state that they drive around with their high beams on 24/7 without any concern to the drivers around them.

I ride with my headlights on high beam during hours of daylight. If I notice that a driver in front of me has adjusted his/her mirror, I dim the light. I ride with my light on low beam during hours of dark unless there is no one around me then I ride with it on high beam. I have also installed a set of auxiliary lights to brighten things up when my light is on low beam, but I have these lights adjusted so that they do not offend a driver in front of me or one that is on-coming.

Call me old fashioned, but I am just trying to be a courteous driver to those around me.
Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 pm

I mostly ride with my high beams on during the day time due to the modulator that I have. When I turn on the low beams it turns off the headlight modulator. At night time I only use the high beams when there is no traffic in front of me. I do run the fog lights at night time. Helps light up the sides of the roads to see the forrest rats better....LOL.
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:44 am

I have no issue with using your hi beams during the day. How much effect they have on oncoming vehicles is debatable. At night, I'd never leave them on with oncoming vehicles. Aside from being discourteous, it's dangerous and potentially illegal. Look at the vehicle code in your state. Our's states that you shouldn't have them on within 500' of another vehicle, either oncoming or behind. Try explaining your logic to some hard ass deputy that you blinded one night and pulls you over.

How would you feel if you were responsible for a collision because you blinded some old lady who couldn't see momentarily because your brights caused her to get flustered and wreck her Buick?

Aside from this, brights tend to P.O. some people when they aren't dimmed upon approaching their vehicle at night. There's too many road rage incidents as it is and this could easily cause one. Just because I am known to carry a weapon doesn't mean that I wish to create a reason to need it.

Even though motorcycles are more accepted than ever, there's still disdain and a bad perception out there with some. We have enough to deal with considering the crotch rocket pilots weaving in and out of traffic at Mach I ticking drivers off and the loud pipes on some Harleys disturbing the peace. Let's not give the public another reason to dislike motorcyclists.

If you wish to have a brighter headlight, change the light to a brighter one. I did this with the LTD 750. I switched to a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb. It is brighter both in the day and especially at night, doesn't pull down the generator, and gives me better visibility. I'm upgrading the Wing. Headlight modulators work. Get one of those. There is data to prove that flashing lights draw attention more readily than steady burning ones do.

I'm all about safety and prevention. This practice at night has too many cons and not enough pros. Sorry, guys.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:34 pm

High Beam in the day time, and I know it is discomforting to the semi drives I meet every moring on the way to work because the flash their bright lights at me. Dim at night as required :D

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:03 am

Man what a great site. This thread was started to mainly vent about a problem issue for me in my morning (still dark), commute. Thanks for all the feedback. I would like to know more about the automatic dimming system. Is this something that is available? Does anyone have it installed, and how do you like it. For daytime I like the modulator. I think that gets the most attention. At night I like the courteous approach. It only takes a few people to really PO a lot of folks. We don't need to make more enemies than we already have.... As a sidenote for all the non courteous drivers, just remember that after I get to work I pick up my BUS for the daily route :lol: :lol: :lol:
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

sparrowhawwk
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:17 pm

crock4 wrote:Man what a great site. This thread was started to mainly vent about a problem issue for me in my morning (still dark), commute. Thanks for all the feedback. I would like to know more about the automatic dimming system. Is this something that is available? Does anyone have it installed, and how do you like it. For daytime I like the modulator. I think that gets the most attention. At night I like the courteous approach. It only takes a few people to really PO a lot of folks. We don't need to make more enemies than we already have.... As a sidenote for all the non courteous drivers, just remember that after I get to work I pick up my BUS for the daily route :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cool! I used to drive city buses in the early 70's. Darn, I guess that is showing my age. :roll: Anyway, just a FYI note here. Checked with a friend that cruises around in a black and white. Dimming is the law in WA State for sure. He suggested that anyone not thinking it is do a pass through here with high beams on. They could use the money. :lol:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”