I done could have blown myself up man today

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

I done could have blown myself up man today

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:50 am

:shock: :shock: I swear I could have blown my ass up today, how you ask??? by being stupid...Again...I'm such a dumb ass I swear, never ever take my advice or listen to me...I'll probably get you blown up too.. I like having a little fire in my small Weber grill out back, I use wood and get a nice little fire going and use the wood coals to melt stuff like steak or chicken or some kinda game.. :shock: Today I was going about it and had a nice fire in the container as I normally do,,I came back inside to post something stupid on here and I'm glad I did, It shook the bloody house man :shock: I felt a big ass boom, Santa Maria, I said What the fudge was that and ran out and my fire was still going all proper and proud, well guy's I forgot I layed down the lighter on the table 5 feet away from the fire, shoot maybe 6' away, it's one of those lighters with a snout on it, you know like for fire places, it got blowd up :shock: and after feeling that jolt, it could have been me...so don't you be laying those things around high heat of any kind or in your freakin pocket, it let off a pretty good blast and I found it in pieces and still smoking..Don't be stupid like me.. Can you imagine if it was in my pocket :shock: or my back pocket, Holy Smokes you'd be calling me Little hotass Beaver..Or Or no ass beaver... :lol: really be careful those little suckers are most dangerous..even the smaller ones .. :D

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: I done could have blown myself up man today

Postby HALBUDD » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:13 am

I guess your secret santa will need to send you a fire extinguisher,before you set fire to your self or your house. Man be careful its the start of a new year and you still have a lot of days to go!!-----------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:27 am

Noooooo Hal, I was trying to learn everyone not to do what i did......those lighters pack a bunch major big time...and what happened to Port. my goodness, I had that on my mind today too..Been thinking about since I read about it...

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:32 am

Yes it was sad about port, I got to thinking and I need to call my insurance man about my coverage.I carry full coverage on all three of my bikes,so Ill have to see about my garage .----------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:27 am

thank goodness nobody was hurt, and Im glad to hear that your not running around half-assed there Beave. I would have thought at that distance from the fire it would have been ok too, guess we know better now. Thanks for sharing the info, I bet you wont make that mistake again. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:55 am

Right....I couldn't believe it when I saw it,, My mechanic friend in KC called me a halfass mechanic once, :lol: well he was kinda referring to himself too I think making a joke he said us halfass mechanics now it's a joke because when I call him I say it's the halfass mechanic calling, I am a halfass mechanic and I'm proud of it.....Today I replaced the shifter seal and replaced the oring on the starter, didn't cuss once....

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Postby Possum51 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:01 am

Glad to hear you're ok !!! I read somewhere that those lighters have the same explosive power as a quarter stick of TNT....
Rick.....

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:47 am

People don't realize how dangerous these lighters are, from the dollar pocket ones to the grille/fireplace ones like you had go off. From what I've seen over the years, it's totally miraculous that there aren't a lot of these things going off like grenades everywhere. Ah, maybe it's been too many years carrying a Haz-Mat technician's card, but it's true.

Still, I'm glad you weren't in the line of fire, Beave. Keep the toasted buns in the toaster.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 am

Wow, glad to hear you and your family are ok. Thanks again for sharing, if it wasn't for folks like you, Port, and many others posting your experiences good and bad we would never learn, and you never realize how many people you truly help. Wow again, you guys are just like Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life" affecting the lives of many.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:56 pm

About those cheaply made fireplace, bbq and cigarette lighters... what could have happened in beav's case is - perhaps the lighter did not shut off it's fluid flow completely, and was still leaking a small amount of butane .. enough to catch fire from his Weber, which would then have followed right up to the reservoir. They are notorious for leaking just a bit, and other people have had their pockets burst into flame with the cigarette lighter variety. Those things just ain't safe around open source flame. Just think what would have happened if beav had tucked it behind that really beautiful belt buckle. Whoops - goodbye lil beaver. The buckle would have likely survived with some scorching. Take care beav. Flame and explosives is most dangerous when not handled correctly.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:40 pm

A friend of mine had an add on wood stove in his house and one day his girlfriend decided to light the fire while he was busy doing something in another area of the house. After about 10 minutes she had been sitting ther talking to him only a few minutes when a huge explosion went off near the wood stove. He waited a minute then slowly poked his headmaround the corner to find pieces of bic lighter all over the place.She had left the lighter on top of the wood stove and once it got hot enough it blew up. He said it sounded like a gunshot inside the house.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Ronmar33
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I Interstaate

Postby Ronmar33 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Hey at least you tried. Better luck next time.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:30 pm

I bet you had on that new shinnie belt buckle, that saved your butt ?

WA9FWT Phil

moorew
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby moorew » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:30 pm

In a "Safety Class" at work a few years back we were warned about just how explosive these things are. They told about a welder who had a "BIC" type lighter in his shirt pocket which blew up from the heat of the welding. He died from his injuries!

Bill
Noblesville, IN

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:00 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Right....I couldn't believe it when I saw it,, My mechanic friend in KC called me a halfass mechanic once, :lol: well he was kinda referring to himself too I think making a joke he said us halfass mechanics now it's a joke because when I call him I say it's the halfass mechanic calling, I am a halfass mechanic and I'm proud of it.....Today I replaced the shifter seal and replaced the oring on the starter, didn't cuss once....

Shifter seal was leaking ? It must have come out with ease.....
And why did you replace that o-ring :o

WA9FWT Phil

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

The shifter seal would leak out oil but very little amounts never the less, I put a stop to it, the oring for the starter was old and hard and needed changing, I figured while I was there I'd repair it as well...Now all I gotta do is the front fork spring change...I've been doing other stuff and putting things off on the bike for some strange reason..... :D

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:01 am

There was an industrial warning years ago about people removing lighters from their pockets as they worked...
It seems some welders didn't pay attention and a few well placed sparks cost them a serious leg injury....
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Once again, I have been probably saved from a serious incident. I keep one of those on a shelf very close to my wood stove that I use to light it....Has been moved.
Thanks for sharing that story.

1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Postby 1grouch2u » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:There was an industrial warning years ago about people removing lighters from their pockets as they worked...
It seems some welders didn't pay attention and a few well placed sparks cost them a serious leg injury....

8-) Yeah, I used to do a little muffler work years ago, and was trained well enough at the basics to "never put your cigarette lighter in your pocket" - I'd used a cutting torch at a wrecking yard where I had worked years before that, but not nearly so much overhead stuff as the brake/muffler shop- anyway- lighter is really bad, but I personally had just a book of matches left in my pocket really rock my world when a tiny piece of 'slag' lit that in my shirt pocket- "play with fire and you're gonna get burned" as they say. Glad you came through that one unscathed friend. Be careful! 8-)

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:08 pm

WA9FWT wrote:
littlebeaver wrote:Right....I couldn't believe it when I saw it,, My mechanic friend in KC called me a halfass mechanic once, :lol: well he was kinda referring to himself too I think making a joke he said us halfass mechanics now it's a joke because when I call him I say it's the halfass mechanic calling, I am a halfass mechanic and I'm proud of it.....Today I replaced the shifter seal and replaced the oring on the starter, didn't cuss once....

Shifter seal was leaking ? It must have come out with ease.....
And why did you replace that o-ring :o

WA9FWT Phil

I replaced the oring on the starter because the original one cracked from age I guess but it was no good, I got a o ring at a hardware store instead of get the proper one from Mother Honda like I should have in the first place,,,but that one from the hardware store worked for some time, I just wanted the proper one so I finally ordered it and installed it all proper and such.. :D

Return to “Goldwing Chat”