Brushfire

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Brushfire

Postby Sidcar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:17 am

Watcha Redial
Are you safe from these bush fires I'm hearing about?

Sid

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Brushfire

Postby redial » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for your warm thoughts, Sid. Yes I am safe, and my wife and dogs are safe as well, even though we have had a recorded 51.7C (about 125F) - but that is on my outdoor weather station, rather than the official weather stations. Where I am in South Australia, we have avoided major blazes, thank goodness. Maybe LittleBeaver's half ass attempt at blowing himself up took some of the pressure off :D .

Most of the other states have been hit by the heatwave as well as fires, (and they seem to go hand in hand) :idea: with particular damage being done in Tasmania, Victoria, and New South Wales. I am currently in SE Queensland, about 2000Km from home (about 1200 miles), on a premier holiday city, with places like Surfers Paradise, the Gold Coast is a bit like Southern Florida, with a hinterland as a backdrop to the sea. I am staying with my son and his family, after delivering my Subaru Forester for my granddaughter. She is purchasing it from me, as she learnt how to drive in it, and she rather likes it. I do too, but I give way to gdaughter power.

I took two days to drive up, and it was hot, but no fires along the way. I went through an area that is thick with kangaroos, and driving at dawn and dusk can be hazardous as they go out for their groceries and bring them home again in the morning. (Kangaroos, as with most Australian animals, are nocturnal, so they sleep in the heat of the day, and forage at night.) Unusually, there were also a large number of emus (large, flightless birds (like an ostrich) that wander around), and the most I have seen. Mixed in with this mini zoo, were feral goats roaming the byways, just to make it more interesting. I managed to avoid all of these animals, and arrived safely.

So, everyone is safe, the dogs are enjoying life stretched out under the ceiling fan with the aircon keeping the temperature in its rightful place. I might even go for a swim in the ocean tomorrow - gentle surf, white beaches, and good looking eye candy, I think it could be a practice run for heavens. Eat your hearts out, you frozen, wet, cold snow shovellers, while I bask in the sunshine and think about another cold beer and some prawns.

Once again, thanks for thinking of us Sid, but I think we can cope for the time being.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 pm

Glad your ok.
I don't think this Pom could survive 51C, I'd melt.
Some forecasters are saying we're going to have a month of heavy snow but I'll believe it when I see it.
Nice hot stew for tea, warm me up.

Sid

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:59 am

I don't think this Pom could survive 51C, I'd melt.

Not to worry. I had an English lady come and stay with us, prior to going to Melbourne for a dog judging appointment. I said to bring a hat, and she replied: "I dont do hats!"

After the second morning, when about to start the dogs on their early morning walk, she asked for a hat. I was astounded, I dont think that she had worn a hat in her entire adult life. But when the temps reach around 45C, you have to do something to protect your "delicate, never see the sun" skins. It is a matter of becoming acclimatised, and we are lucky in South Australia because we have heat, but low humidity, so it makes it liveable. My wife advised me that it was another 44C day, but the humidity was around 8%; whereas here in the Gold Coast (sub-tropical), it was not as hot, as per the following information:

Gold Coast
Forecast for the rest of Friday 11Jan2013

Fine and partly cloudy. Moderate to fresh N to NE winds, gusty at times. Fire Danger: High.

Precis:
Fine, partly cloudy.

Forecast for Saturday

Fine and mostly sunny. Moderate to fresh N to NE winds, gusty at times in the afternoon and evening. Fire Danger: High.

Precis:
Fine, mostly sunny. Min 24 Max 31

UV Alert from 7:50 am to 4:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme]

Sunday
Fine, mostly sunny. Min 24 Max 32
Monday
A shower or two. Min 24 Max 29
Tuesday
A few showers. Min 22 Max 27
Wednesday
A shower or two. Min 21 Max 28
Thursday
A shower or two. Min 21 Max 29
Friday
A shower or two. Min 23 Max 30
=======================================================
That is just about perfect for me, but I do notice the humidity is greater. Just keep smiling while shovelling, and think of me in a pair of shorts, sandals, and top (with a hat), while you northerners fight the same temperatures - but yours are fahrenheit :twisted:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:17 pm

That 8% humidity would do me in...When it gets below 20%, I start getting nose bleeds. At 8%, I would probably bleed to death or choke on blood one of the two...It gets hot here in San Antonio,tx, but also with high humidity. It makes it hotter, but keeps my blood inside where it belongs.

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:32 am

Humidity is very high here, it's pouring down.
Snow forecast for later. :D

Sid

Return to “Goldwing Chat”