And the Cage wins!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
SKMURDOCK
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

And the Cage wins!

Postby SKMURDOCK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:16 pm

On Saturday, my wife and I lost a fight with a cage. They were behind us while we were turning left. I saw them in the mirror twice, and realized they were going pretty fast. Thought I could get out of their way, never expected them to cross the lane, apparently trying to pass us on the left!

We have only bumps and bruises, although they are pretty impressive bruises. If I was not before, I definitely am now a believer in ATGATT! Without our full face helmets, we would not have had a chance. Riding jackets cut road rash to almost nothing. And, I honestly think a bit of help from God - maybe WAY more than a bit.

Anyway, here are pictures, with some explanation.

Their skid marks. We were at the intersection, about half way through the turn when we got hit. They had us square and center.

The point of impact on our bike.

And the front end damage.

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: And the Cage wins!

Postby maestro319 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Yikes!!! How are your legs??

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:27 pm

It's a good thing that you are able to tell us about it.....glad you're mostly OK
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

Missourimike
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1981 GL 1100
1962 150 Dream
1973 750 Norton
1983 CX650C #1
1983 CX650C #2

Postby Missourimike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Dang! I know more than a few that have been hit that same way, turning left and having someone try passing them. Motorcycles just don't register in the cager's brain as a THREAT to them. Sober or not. Hope someone had good insurance. Glad you two made it thru the day. Best wishes for a speedy recovery from the ordeal.

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Thank God you both are somewhat ok! You made it through that with no broken bones?

SKMURDOCK

Postby SKMURDOCK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Thank you all for the kind thoughts!

Since we were already in the turn, we bounced off to the left rather than getting pushed in front, and then under the car. No broken bones - at least nothing that showed on x-ray. I have a pretty sore or sprained right wrist that may show a hairline fracture later. If it still hurts in a week, will have another picture taken.

My legs are mostly ok. Very impressive bruise on the inside of my right knee. I was wearing some Cabela's Brushbuster pants. Ballistic fabric from the thigh down to protect the legs when hunting heavy brush and brambles. I must say they really worked. No holes, even hard to see any evidence of the slide on the pavement.

My wife has a very similar bruise on her knee, but to my embarassement, she also has a gash (no stiches) on the outside of her left calf. She was in jeans and long johns because I had not yet gotten her anything better. They offered almost no protection, so her legs came out much the worse. No bones broken, but she is very stiff, sore, probably had a mild concussion (or maybe reaction to the morophine) with some nausea, and has been sleeping most of the last two days. I will never let her ride again without actual riding pants, or at the very least something like what I had on.

As for visibility, that is the reason I chose white helmets, and jackets with a fair amount of white on them. Absolutely did not work. The skid marks do show they were already trying to go around me - but no way that happened before I was already well into the turn.

I know someone on scene, either paramedic or Highway Patrol told me the driver said he was going around of 60 miles an hour at impact. I really believe they were going a lot faster before they hit the brakes - I did not measure, but estimate at well over 100 feet of brakes being locked before impact.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Thank goodness you are still walking and talking.I hope you heal quickly and without any problems. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 pm

That is on the edge of really scary or worse. Having been in a accident with a cage I know how it feels to have a bumper come crashing into you. How powerless you feel. Then you get the blame usually. I hope you mend well and your wife understands its not your fault. Time heals all and hopefully it will not be long before you are back on the road.
Proud member Patriot Guard

SKMURDOCK

Postby SKMURDOCK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 am

bustedwing wrote: I hope you mend well and your wife understands its not your fault. Time heals all and hopefully it will not be long before you are back on the road.

Yes, my wife understands. Actually, she understood that sooner than I did. I still try and figure out what I could have done, how I could have ridden more defensively, etc. to stay out of the accident. I do understand the answer is absolutely nothing.

My wife, however looked at me, told me it was not my fault, and started talking about when we replace this bike - most likely with a 1500! This is all the more interesting because she has been nervous about riding until very recently.

You gotta love a woman like that! :)

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 am

I guess I am a bit of a revengefull sort, but it is too bad that the punishment for the auto driver couldn't be to inflict all the same injuries upon them that you received. A friggin ticket and loss of points on a license just don't cut it. Glad you are both okay.

My opinion - it is partly that they do not see us, but it is more that they just don't care. :cry:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 am

I'll also echo the sentiment that I'm glad you're both relatively ok.

This is but one more example of what I've sworn for years, that way too many drivers just have little or no regard for others on the road. I remember back to when I was a rookie and considering getting into motorcycling. I was torn like many and decided to look hard at why the bike involved accidents I responded to happened. The lion's share were not the fault of the rider, rather caused by other drivers. Sure, there were those that were solely the fault of the rider losing respect for the power of the bike and paid a price for it. Some of the ones caused by others could have been avoided by the rider riding more defensively, but often not.

Under the circumstances you related, it sure sounds like there was little you could have done to avoid this near tragedy. For sure, the penalties don't fit the crime.

I, too, have always been an advocate of helmets. I never agreed that the helmet laws should have been repealed here, but they were. I understand the argument of "education, not legislation", but I've seen the results up close and personal of not wearing them. It's usually not a pretty sight. Clothing protection is also important. The wife, for some unknown reason, does not like leather. The only leather she will wear riding are the chaps I got her. I found a beautiful textile MC jacket with armoring and bought it for her for Christmas. It's purple. She loved it and at least I know she will have better protection if worst case happens than not. She also got new boots for her birthday that she likes. Made me feel better.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Gary wrote:My wife, however looked at me, told me it was not my fault, and started talking about when we replace this bike - most likely with a 1500! This is all the more interesting because she has been nervous about riding until very recently.

You gotta love a woman like that! :)

Sounds like a keeper (the wife!!) to me!! :lol:

Get well soon and think of all the fun looking for a replacement bike..

Gary

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Glad you are allright (mostly)
This is scary stuff and shows what a moment of carelessness can do (the cage driver).
I would be hard pressed to be as calm as you are about it...
revenge comes to mind quickly for me... :twisted:
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 pm

You were certainly lucky, here's to a swift recovery.
Hi-Vis vests and "Sam Browne" belts are very popular over here but there no defence to the motorist with his eyes shut.
What's a Cage / Cager? not an expression I've heard this side of the pond.

Sid

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Cage = enclosure to hold people = jail cell or car/SUV/Truck. Same-oh to a biker. Coloquialism common to North American English.

Cager = one who travels in an enclosure, ignorant of the pleasures of freedom in general and of being in the open air.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Ta
You learn something every day.

Sid

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Glad that both of you are ok and still look forward to ridding again. I was reading a post on another site one of the members just lost his son in law drunk driver rear ended him at a stop light at full speed He died instantly. So sad to here these things but thank God you guys are all right and are on the mend. good luck------------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

SKMURDOCK

Postby SKMURDOCK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:02 pm

SKMURDOCK wrote: Thought I could get out of their way, never expected them to cross the lane, apparently trying to pass us on the left!

So last night at a City Council meeting (I work for the City of Merced) when speaking to the Police Chief, he put forward an alternative theory as to what happened - and the more I think about it the more likely it becomes.

Target fixation - When I first started riding I sure remember my bike going straight for that thing that I did not want to hit but continued to look at! In truth I have not been riding long, only a couple of years, which also helps me remember the MSF instructors emphasizing Target Fixation and "Look where you WANT to go, the bike will follow!"

According to the Chief, this is also present in auto accidents. The driver looks at the thing (my wife and me) they do not want to hit, and drives right into it.

So, is this what happened? I certainly do not know, but I do prefer this explanation to them trying to pass me 1) on the left at an intersection, and 2) while I was clearly in the act of turning.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Certainly target fixation is very real, I remember my 7 year old daughter riding her motorbike in the garden, there was one tree and she was riding around looking at it so she wouldn't hit it.. Of course she rode straight into it!! It was about 3 inches wide so it was quite something to hit it, especially when she was trying to avoid it!! There was nothing around for 20 feet in any other direction, just this one solitary tree!! How we laughed!! I hope her car driving skills will be better!! :lol:

Gary

glassbebo
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Postby glassbebo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 am

As every one has said, very glad you both are ok. Had a similar accident but was not so lucky, compound fracture of my left leg, out of work for six months, I did have good insurance and it was not so bad for the family. I don't know about every one else but it is always in the back of my mind when I get on my wing about some yahoo not paying attention to their driving. I live in a university town and we have a lot of texting and drunk drivers here. Several bikers have been killed here in the last year because of distracted drivers. Hope you heal soon and are able to get back in the wind. Many blessings
Bill

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Over here if your caught using a mobile phone while driving (unless it's a hands free set up) or while stopped at traffic lights or junction it's a fixed penalty £60 fine and three points on your licence. If they decide to take you to court it could cost you £1000. Even so it doesn't stop some people.

Sid

Poohman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Apsencade
1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Poohman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Hey Brother Winger, Yes you were both Blessed by Gods safety. Bruises and Bumps will Heal but stupidity from others not paying attention is forever.

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:00 pm

I have to ask. You went through this largely unscathed. What exactly were you wearing that saved you from injury? I want it.

SKMURDOCK

Postby SKMURDOCK » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:39 am

eklimek wrote:I have to ask. You went through this largely unscathed. What exactly were you wearing that saved you from injury? I want it.

First, I truly believe we were protected by God. I really don't understand how one, or both of us did not end up under the car. If you want to know more about that, feel free to send PM.

But, as to what we were wearing:

Full face helmets - in our case they were the HJC IS-16. I hit the pavement pretty much face and belly first - with an open helmet the bottom half of my face would be gone.

Mesh jackets with leather and CE armor at shoulders, arms, and back - from Tourmaster, but the specific style is no longer made.

Both of us were wearing winter weight riding gloves, but we both have a scrape on our wrist, between the jacket arm and glove end.

I was also wearing Cabelas hunting pants with Cordura Nylon intended to stop thorns and brambles from getting to your legs. They show no wear on the fabric from my slide (about 20 to 30 feet) on the pavement and my legs have no scrapes or cuts.

My wife was wearing jeans and long johns which did not help her nearly as much. Her legs have several cuts, including a one pretty good one on her left calf.

My wife was wearing zip up riding boots - BILT brand from Cyclegear. Her feet came through OK.

On the other hand, I was wearing pull up roper style boots. Riding boots would have been better. I have them, just already had the others on and did not want to take the time to change. I will loose the nail on my left big toe, but cannot say whether the other boots would have prevented it.

So, there you go. Where we had on proper riding gear, we were largely saved from severe injury. I have no doubt whatsoever the helmets saved our lives. Where we did not, things are more interesting. As I said at the start of this, I pretty much became a fanatic about ATGATT for riding.

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks. I had to look up ATGATT "all the gear, all the time".

Return to “Goldwing Chat”