Stranded on the side of the road


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Stranded on the side of the road

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:23 pm



I was out enjoying the nice weather today, went for a ride for a couple of hours. I was heading south down I-71, when I saw an 1100 on the shoulder, with a guy sitting on the ground next to it.

I zipped across a lane, and came to a stop on the shoulder ahead of him, then backed up to where he was sitting. I left my bike, and walked up to him and his bike. He got up, and shook my hand as I approached, thanking me for stopping. He said he had a flat, and had already called for a tow, but really appreciated that I had stopped.

He had a 1980 Interstate. He was the second owner, and had bought it in 1982, when it was only two years old!

Interestingly, he didn't actually have a flat tire - he had a valve stem fail, on his rear tire (thankfully). I noticed he had those valve stem pressure monitor caps on his wheels:



I know those things don't weigh much, but I'm sure they weigh more than a regular plastic valve cap. I wonder if that could have contributed to his failed valve stem?

In any case, after talking to him for a few minutes, I said goodbye and hopped back onto my bike.



User avatar
gnarlyroad
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:43 pm
Location: Nanaimo BC
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby gnarlyroad » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:34 am

Good one for you stopping. Lots of people just ride on past. :D
Gravity isn't just a good idea. It's the Law.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:21 am

I always stop if I see a bike on the side of the road, even if it's a young kid on a crotch rocket. I know I'd want someone to stop if I was stranded.

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:08 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I always stop if I see a bike on the side of the road, even if it's a young kid on a crotch rocket. I know I'd want someone to stop if I was stranded.

That was nice of you to stop and render assistance if needed. It would have been nice to know how he was going to get help.
I'm toying with joining the American motorcylist Asso. Just for this reason, if I brake down out of town,My regular insurance Co doesn't offer roadside assistance. "American Family ' What do other do in situations like this ?

WA9FWT Phil

Bluto
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: Bethany, Illinois
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby Bluto » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:46 am

I stopped one night to offer assistance to a young man on a scooter. A wire had come loose and he was trying to work on the scooter using the light from his cell phone. I turned my bike around to use the headlight. He had a buddy on the way but we were able to get it going again so he made the next town.

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Bluto wrote:I stopped one night to offer assistance to a young man on a scooter. A wire had come loose and he was trying to work on the scooter using the light from his cell phone. I turned my bike around to use the headlight. He had a buddy on the way but we were able to get it going again so he made the next town.


It's great to read stories like this.I'm sure he will help some one else down the road.

I still didn't get any answers to my question above, as to what does one do when you brake down and are out of town.
Purchase Insurance ???

WA9FWT Phil

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:04 pm

I carry some tools and keep a cell phone with me. Not much more than that!

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:33 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I carry some tools and keep a cell phone with me. Not much more than that!


Ok, the tools I can see, along with wire & tape ect.But who would you call with a cell phone?
Back home for a trailer, cycle shop, wrecker service !!

WA9FWT Phil

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Precisely! :)

Actually, I'd first need to get a trailer, then teach my wife how to hook it up to my truck, and....hmm. Maybe I need to think about this some more.

User avatar
tumunga
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:34 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 - this is the one I will always need help with.

1980 GL1100I Interstate (gone)

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby tumunga » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Oh man, I carry so many tools with me, it's probably contributing to my bike only getting 33mpg:

Hammers (ball peen, rubber mallet)
2 of each size of metric wrenches 6mm to 22mm, boxed and open
3 adjustable wrenches
2 sets of allen wrenches
a set of 3/8 drive metric 6 point sockets with a few extentions and 2 ratchets
8 screwdrivers of various sizes
big pry bar
2 channel locks
2 vise grips
12v testing light
flashlight
nice wire crimpers (invasive, not the smashing kind)
a little wire, and connectors
bicycle air pump with guage
Duct tape and electric tape
and probably some other stuff I can't remember

All of this, except the hammers, prybar, and sockets, are in a roll-up tool pouch. All of these tools fit in a little more than half of one of the saddle bags. Probably overkill, but gives me peace of mind knowing I should be able to disassemble the entire bike if I need to. :lol:
Tumunga
1989 GL1500 Goldwing with all the optional goodies (I think)

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby WA9FWT » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:11 pm

tumunga wrote:Oh man, I carry so many tools with me, it's probably contributing to my bike only getting 33mpg:

Hammers (ball peen, rubber mallet)
2 of each size of metric wrenches 6mm to 22mm, boxed and open
3 adjustable wrenches
2 sets of allen wrenches
a set of 3/8 drive metric 6 point sockets with a few extentions and 2 ratchets
8 screwdrivers of various sizes
big pry bar
2 channel locks
2 vise grips
12v testing light
flashlight
nice wire crimpers (invasive, not the smashing kind)
a little wire, and connectors
bicycle air pump with guage
Duct tape and electric tape
and probably some other stuff I can't remember

All of this, except the hammers, prybar, and sockets, are in a roll-up tool pouch. All of these tools fit in a little more than half of one of the saddle bags. Probably overkill, but gives me peace of mind knowing I should be able to disassemble the entire bike if I need to. :lol:


Don't feel bad about the Gas mileage, my 1982 A only gets 29 to 30 MPG around town. if I ever break down ,I hope your close by :D WA9FWT Phil

Bob W
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Chicago, Il.
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I
1985 BMW K100rt
2008 GL1800

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby Bob W » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Several years ago I broke down on the side of the road. I called a local MC towing service but since it was a Sunday it was going to take a while to get to me. I always keep a book in my trunk so I sat back to get some sun and read a little. I had so many people stop and offer assistance by means of tools or phone that I never got any reading in. People on bikes and cars stopped. One was a young girl about 18 who offered to help because her father was a biker and she would hope someone would stop to help him if he needed it. Many others, rather than stopping slowed and signaled to see if I needed a phone or help by a thumbs up or down.
While my day's ride was ruined I truely enjoyed the interaction with all the people. It gave me a great feeling of both pride in bikers as well as did a little renewal in my faith in man.
By the way I always ride with a big ole bag of tools, my phone and have a towing service on my insurance. Oh yeah and always have a book with me too.

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Bob W wrote:Several years ago I broke down on the side of the road. I called a local MC towing service but since it was a Sunday it was going to take a while to get to me. I always keep a book in my trunk so I sat back to get some sun and read a little. I had so many people stop and offer assistance by means of tools or phone that I never got any reading in. People on bikes and cars stopped. One was a young girl about 18 who offered to help because her father was a biker and she would hope someone would stop to help him if he needed it. Many others, rather than stopping slowed and signaled to see if I needed a phone or help by a thumbs up or down.
While my day's ride was ruined I truely enjoyed the interaction with all the people. It gave me a great feeling of both pride in bikers as well as did a little renewal in my faith in man.
By the way I always ride with a big ole bag of tools, my phone and have a towing service on my insurance. Oh yeah and always have a book with me too.

Can you tell us how did they tow your bike in ? what did they use...And what was your problem!!
WA9FWT Phil

User avatar
MJSantos
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:19 pm
Location: York, Pa
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45
Contact:

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby MJSantos » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:33 pm

I'm looking into picking up one of these trailers. Just like a Kenyon but not as expensive. Plan on getting a ATV winch from Harbor Freight to aid in loading. This will come in handy when the wife and I go visit family and we carry the dogs with us. Plus if anyone passes through the area and breaksdown I'll be better equipped to help out. Figure between the trailer and a garage with tools will give fellow Wingers some piece of mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Rail-Motorcycle-T ... 1e5d157908

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:55 pm

MJSantos wrote:I'm looking into picking up one of these trailers. Just like a Kenyon but not as expensive. Plan on getting a ATV winch from Harbor Freight to aid in loading. This will come in handy when the wife and I go visit family and we carry the dogs with us. Plus if anyone passes through the area and breaksdown I'll be better equipped to help out. Figure between the trailer and a garage with tools will give fellow Wingers some piece of mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Rail-Motorcycle-T ... 1e5d157908

I have seen a trailer that your front tire hooks up to the hitch ball. Only the front tire is off the ground, and part of the ramp
that is used to get the front tire off the ground is removed when under way. I have used bike trailers, and it was a bear to get
the bike up on that trailer when it's not running.
Good for you to help out fellow Wingers...
WA9FWT Phil

kanada
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:07 pm
Location: marana az.
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby kanada » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:38 pm

That sure is a sweeeet trailer. :D :D :D
When all else fails make Beer.

User avatar
lhelber
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:01 am
Location: Webster, NY
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Stranded on the side of the road

Postby lhelber » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:53 am

WA9FWT wrote:I have seen a trailer that your front tire hooks up to the hitch ball. Only the front tire is off the ground, and part of the ramp
that is used to get the front tire off the ground is removed when under way. I have used bike trailers, and it was a bear to get
the bike up on that trailer when it's not running.
Good for you to help out fellow Wingers...
WA9FWT Phil


Don't use this type of trailer for your Wing. Your transmission uses engine oil pressure to keep it lubricated. Dragging your rear tire will destroy your tranny.

As for road side assistance you may want to consider joining the Goldwing Road Rider Association (www.gwrra.org). Part of their membership includes road side assistance but you may find out that you don't need it. Also included with their membership is the "Gold" book which is a listing of other members throughout the world that is willing to offer assistance. Keep it inside your saddle bags and you will find help close by no matter where you are. Included with the membership you get a great magazine devoted to just to Goldwings. They have a technical column that offers a lot of help with problems that members submit. That alone is worth the membership to me.

There is also a "Club" atmosphere associated with GWRRA. If you wish to get involved with. It is more of a social thing with group rides. Some people like it some don't. True story, a new member joined just to find some riding friends. They had just purchased a 85 1200 about a year ago. While touring around the city their bike died. They called up a member they meet he picked them and their bike up on a trailer and took it to the groups "mechanic's" house. Stator had died. Local estimates to repair started at $2,000. A couple of other members showed up and helped pull the motor while a new stator was ordered. While the motor was being pulled they also noticed that the main drive splice had not been lubed so that was changed too. Total time to fix the bike during riding season 1 week. Delay was waiting for parts. Total cost to the owner; parts approx $800, Labor $0.

Clubs are not for everyone. I like going off and doing my solo rides but it sure is nice to know I have some knowledgeable friends to lend a hand if I need help. On last thing, if you do decide to join use my member number as a referral #314471. I think I get a pin or something like that.




Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests