I couldnt take it anymore............

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

I couldnt take it anymore............

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 pm

the roads were bare and wet, but there was 70 feet of snow covered lawn between where I parked the bike and the road. I happen to notice that the snow blower was just sitting there doing nothing,so I say to my self..............hmmmmmm I wonder if....................... guess what it worked . I got to go for a ride today. It may not seem like a big deal to alot of you but here north of the 49th riding in January is almost unheard of unless you live right on the west coast or Calgary.

stupid snow
stupid snow
Attachments
I win
I win

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

speedy1
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE, 2004 Goldwing 1800, 2007 Honda Aero 750

Re: I couldnt take it anymore............

Postby speedy1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:40 pm

When you gotta go, you just got to go..

rooferx
Motorcycle: 95 aspy

Postby rooferx » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Good for you,,it was like 65 here today,all last week in the teens.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:25 am

Way to go Todd.... you are my hero. Today, it is raining here, and going up to almost 50F, but tomorrow it will be back down below 0F so even tho I have access to my bike, I will not be taking it out. This has been a very weird winter for temperature extremes. Come Oooooon spring.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:59 am

Todd, you are unbelievable. Is that what they call "cabin fever"? :lol: :lol: :lol: OK, I have an assignment for you. Figure out a way to mount a scaled down snow plow on the front, and roam the roads in your mask and cape! :D
Just kidding of course. We who live down here cannot even relate. It will be in the mid 80's here today, so if you don't mind a little rain now and then every day is a good riding day pretty much. The only bad thing is no variation on the scenery. FLAT, FLAT, FLAT.

Bob
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

SKMURDOCK
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby SKMURDOCK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 am

Now that is perserverance in pursuit of a ride! Way to go. Our family story about snow is a bit different.

My grandfather, born and raised in Nova Scotia, heads out for a vacation to see relatives that had moved to the central valley of California. He was a farmer, so the winter was the only time he could go. Takes a train across Canada, steamship from Vancouver to San Francisco, inland about 140 miles to where I live now. This was sometime in the late 1890"s and he was about 19 years old.

So the family story goes that he fully intended to return to his home, but once he got here saw NO snow in the middle of winter and NEVER again returned to Nova Scotia!

He passed on at the age of 93 in the early 70's. To the best of our knowledge he never again voluntarily set foot in snow, and thought one of the silliest things anyone could do was to actually go to the snow for any kind of fun.

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:35 pm

Todd,
your my hero, and I wish I could ride too. But sitting in the Prairie I am with the Viking, roads are bare but cold well below 0 F so even if I could get my bike out.........By my best optimistic bet I am thinking about 3 months before I can go for a ride :cry:

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Im still stuck in the valley bottom as there is WAY too much snow in the passes to even think about venturing up there yet. So far I have managed to ride this bike every month since buying it in early April 2012.Tomorrow looks good for a short ride too. I love global warming 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:26 pm

To the best of our knowledge he never again voluntarily set foot in snow, and thought one of the silliest things anyone could do was to actually go to the snow for any kind of fun.

Them's my sentiments exactly. "Fun in the snow" is just an expensive way to get cold! I dont like the cold! For all you folk that live in the cold, I hope you get paid extra. Today is a cool day, 20C (about 70F), with 26% humidity - any cooler and I would have to put a sweater/pullover/jumper on to keep out the cold :mrgreen:

A bit cool to go for a swim in the sea, today, but there is always another day.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:07 pm

We made it up to 50f today, I just know spring is around the corner. Got a feeling the riding "itch" is gonna be here soon ;)

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:10 am

redial wrote:
To the best of our knowledge he never again voluntarily set foot in snow, and thought one of the silliest things anyone could do was to actually go to the snow for any kind of fun.

Them's my sentiments exactly. "Fun in the snow" is just an expensive way to get cold! I dont like the cold! For all you folk that live in the cold, I hope you get paid extra. Today is a cool day, 20C (about 70F), with 26% humidity - any cooler and I would have to put a sweater/pullover/jumper on to keep out the cold :mrgreen:

A bit cool to go for a swim in the sea, today, but there is always another day.

I'm with you guys...I was last in the snow in 1968 when I had a short school in Maryland while in the Navy. I got there in Nov, left in Feb and there was snow on the ground about 80% of the time. I proceeded to make sure I was only stationed either in the Philippines or San Diego for the rest of my time in the Navy (medical retirement '77). I did have a memory relapse once in like '82 and was lured to a very well paying job in Chicago. I arrived there in May....first cold snap hit in Oct. where it dropped into the 40's overnight. That morning after having my coffee and loading my truck I called my headquarters back in Sdiego and told them they would have to replace me as Regional Director as I was not going to stay in Chicago. He ask, "how time are you going to give us to replace you?" I told him about 15 minutes...as I have to stop and fill up my truck on my way to San Antonio. They were not happy, but I was awakened to realize what I had signed up for...Have not lived anywhere else besides San Antonio since then except for the Philippines and a few months in Hawaii....
For me, Below 70 starts discomfort, below 50 starts misery, below 30 starts me thinking it is time to move further south...The only thing that stops me is any further south and I would have to learn Spanish and carry are gun with a very large clip. But, do to the destruction of this country by our government, I am seriously thinking of returning to the Philippines. If I am going to end up in a 3rd world country, may as well be one with sunny beaches 24/7/365 that I can afford.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:31 am

If you don't think you can have fun in the snow, then you've never tried snowmobiling. :)

Especially up in Ontario - cottage country - where there are literally thousands of miles of open, groomed snowmobile trails. Heaven!

That said, it's 13 degrees this morning. Ugh. It was 61 two days ago. Crazy weather!

sparrowhawwk
Motorcycle: 78 GL
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 pm

RoadRogue wrote:Im still stuck in the valley bottom as there is WAY too much snow in the passes to even think about venturing up there yet. So far I have managed to ride this bike every month since buying it in early April 2012.Tomorrow looks good for a short ride too. I love global warming 8-)

Mary over at the Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground says they only have about two inches there. I know that wonderful scenery you have to live with creates an escape issue for motorcycles in winter.

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:02 pm

sparrowhawwk wrote:
RoadRogue wrote:Im still stuck in the valley bottom as there is WAY too much snow in the passes to even think about venturing up there yet. So far I have managed to ride this bike every month since buying it in early April 2012.Tomorrow looks good for a short ride too. I love global warming 8-)

Mary over at the Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground says they only have about two inches there. I know that wonderful scenery you have to live with creates an escape issue for motorcycles in winter.

Toad Rock is just north of me , up the lake aways, about an hr. We have sunshine here today and temps just above freezing, maybe I will venture out again today to head up that way, might even stop in at the hotsprings for a soak. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:04 am

It was 60 last wednesday. It's in the 20's now with a dusting of snow. I'm still shooting for St. Patty's day to get my wing home and start installing all my freshly painted bits. I'm truely sick of winters! :mrgreen:

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:41 am

I managed to get in 100miles here today, had the heated grips turned on but the vest turned off .Sorry about the bragging, I know what its like to be ice bound while others are riding around. Hang in there guys your turn is coming. In the mean time..................BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA............. damn this is fun 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

CDub73
Motorcycle: Current
1983 GL1100A
1999 SV650S

Previous
1982 GL1100I

Postby CDub73 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:16 pm

RoadRogue wrote:It may not seem like a big deal to alot of you but here north of the 49th riding in January is almost unheard of unless you live right on the west coast or Calgary.

The roads in Calgary are certainly nice. Well the main roads are. My street is covered in at least 3" of solid ice. :( I suppose I could drive down the side walks if I was really really desperate.

honda1982
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade 1988 GL1500 1990 GL1500 trike

Postby honda1982 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:38 am

good for you know the feeling well. got a tire trench through the yard, bike is parked on the front porch. been out several times this winter when the roads were clear . no difference than riding a snowmobile , just here get to ride the bike more often enjoy it. its refreshing

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:30 am

We got our first substantial snow in a couple years starting yesterday, and it's still coming down!
ICK! :shock:
Attachments

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:21 am

riffraff wrote:We got our first substantial snow in a couple years starting yesterday, and it's still coming down!
ICK! :shock:

Yeah, you guys on the Eastern seaboard got blasted this week. They are expecting lots more there before it is done - up to three feet of snow - yuuuuk. It has been just like that since just after Christmas here, without enough of a break to even get a breath. I have cleared the trailer of snow three times already, and the gazebo and back shed once each, but it still keeps on coming.....

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”