Parts for lowering a Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200

Parts for lowering a Goldwing

Postby zimco » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:49 am

Let me first state that I am retired and do not work for any company listed here.
These are just suppliers that I found in my long searches that may be able to help others. Not many suppliers have parts listed for the Goldwing, so these were not easy to find.

A little bit of history - I have been riding since 1963, but until recently never owned Goldwings because I am 5"2" tall and my feet miss the ground on these wide, tall bikes.

I purchased 4 bikes that were in storage and decided to see if I could lower them down to be at least able to touch my toes. In deciding to do this I never understood how hard that could be.

I am still working on a hard tail frame that I am building to run around town, but that will be only to run around town. I am almost 67 years old and not as tough as I used to be.

I did locate some parts that will fit the Goldwings that I want to pass along to anyone who may be interested in lowering their wing.

Shocks are the first item - I found that "Dime City Cycles" carry Chrome shorty shocks that will fit the wings, You would use either -

Chrome "Shorty" Eye to Clevis Shock Absorbers - (289MM/11")

Chrome "Shorty" Eye to Eye Shock Absorbers - (279MM/11")

Depending on what year wing you have.

These lower the bike 2 inches and are priced under $80.00 a pair, they fit the Goldwing from 1975 to 1982. On some you may have to use your original rubber inserts in the eyes to make them fit.

Also while I am on this site, I also purchased extended handlebars from "Dime City Cycles" and am very happy with the price, delivery, and Quality.

I purchased the 16" Chrome Apes "Chimps" - (7/8") and they are going to be great on this bike. Priced under $50.00.

Now also on the subject of extended handlebars - I needed to extend my throttle & clutch cables. I found through a local Motorcycle shop that we have here in Rochester, NY a company that will make up extended cables to what ever length you need.

"Magnum Shielding" here in Pittsford NY 14534 will make up cables and hydraulic lines to fit your bike.

They didn't have listings for anything older than the 1990 GL1500, but I was able to leave my old cables and they matched up the fittings and are able to make them up.

Now that they know what fittings to use they can most likely make more for other people who don't live here in Rochester, NY area.

I am now waiting for the paint to come back so I can put the bike back together. When I finish I will put up a picture of the bike.

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Parts for lowering a Goldwing

Postby redial » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:27 pm

So you are going to be the Champ with the Chimps? :D It sounds like you have overcome your challenges very well, and thanks for the info.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”