is it just me

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

is it just me

Postby squirrel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 am

have been riding for 30+years presently on gl1100 (dressed) lit
up like a xmas tree .flouresent jacket.think for other road users and Still they can't see me could it be just me??

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: is it just me

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

No,it's the nature of the human vision.Their brain doesn't register your bike at all.
It's not uncommon to hear someone say "I never saw them"....It's actually true.

Remember,when you "see" something,your eyes only get a small part of it and your brain fills in all the rest of the image.It's like looking through a paper towel roll.

Your eyes will linger longer on a object only if it peaks your interest...just to get the "whole picture"

Caged drivers are usually concerned about other cars...bikes are not a threat to their safety.

I never rely on if the driver saw me.I always look at the front tire and vehicle to determine my surroundings.

Flashing head lights will get their attention,at least from the front view.It won't help the side street guy.

Just having many lights usually isn't enough to capture someones attention long enough for them to get a picture in their brain that your there.
Flashing lights do help but your awareness of the other drivers is your best defense.
I assume that I'm invisible and drive like I am.
This is my personal opinion only.
40+ years on bikes,never been crossed.I avoided the situations.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:51 pm

virgilmobile wrote:No,it's the nature of the human vision.Their brain doesn't register your bike at all.
It's not uncommon to hear someone say "I never saw them"....It's actually true.

Remember,when you "see" something,your eyes only get a small part of it and your brain fills in all the rest of the image.It's like looking through a paper towel roll.

Your eyes will linger longer on a object only if it peaks your interest...just to get the "whole picture"

Caged drivers are usually concerned about other cars...bikes are not a threat to their safety.

I never rely on if the driver saw me.I always look at the front tire and vehicle to determine my surroundings.

Flashing head lights will get their attention,at least from the front view.It won't help the side street guy.

Just having many lights usually isn't enough to capture someones attention long enough for them to get a picture in their brain that your there.
Flashing lights do help but your awareness of the other drivers is your best defense.
I assume that I'm invisible and drive like I am.
This is my personal opinion only.
40+ years on bikes,never been crossed.I avoided the situations.

I sure agree with all you said here Virgil.I have my self had a biker along side me when I made a left turn from a stop sign this past summer.I just said where did he come from,as I was looking at his middle finger :lol: :lol:
I know I looked to my right and left as I pulled out and did not see him.I would have wished I could have stopped him to explain that I'm a cycle driver too. But to think about it, good thing I didn't, I mite have had too black eye's

WA9FWT Phil

squirrel

Postby squirrel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:20 pm

im glad it's not just me . maybe its wrong but i treat everyone else on the road like an idiot and think for them may not be p.c but so far i've kept the rubber on the tarmac

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Well, I'm sure convienced that people don't see MC's. On our trip back from Canada this past summer, was driving on a state hwy, no traffic visable in either direction. A car stopped on a side road as if to enter on to the road I was driving on. He sat there looking at me, with me traveling 500 yards toward him, he didn't move. Then when I was about 30 yards from him, he starts pulling out right in front of me crossing the road and turning left onto the hwy. I was ready for it, as I just knew he wasn't seeing me as he was looking at me. I was able to slow down quickly and give him time to get out. But sheeesh, where oh where was his mind cuz it sure wasn't there at that point in time.

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:01 pm

twostrokes48 wrote:Well, I'm sure convienced that people don't see MC's. On our trip back from Canada this past summer, was driving on a state hwy, no traffic visable in either direction. A car stopped on a side road as if to enter on to the road I was driving on. He sat there looking at me, with me traveling 500 yards toward him, he didn't move. Then when I was about 30 yards from him, he starts pulling out right in front of me crossing the road and turning left onto the hwy. I was ready for it, as I just knew he wasn't seeing me as he was looking at me. I was able to slow down quickly and give him time to get out. But sheeesh, where oh where was his mind cuz it sure wasn't there at that point in time.

Just make sure your new ride will have the Headlite modulator installed.I will not leave home with out it .
Best thing for safety I ever installed on the bike.

WA9FWT Phil

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:58 pm

There is a TV advert going the rounds at the moment, sponsored by the Motor Accident Commission (MAC), and is approaching MC riders with two ideas - ATGATT, and stay in the field of vision of the cagers. When pulling alongside, make sure you can see into their mirrors, otherwise they cant see you.

For ATGATT, they show a mc coming off his machine and he is wearing a helmet, a tight t-shirt, and a set of pantyhose(tights), with nice juicy red meat showing through the holes when he has bounced along the road. Graphic, but gripping! For 2012 in the State of South Australia, there has been around 15 MC riders killed, and that is too many, so the MAC are con centrating on mc riders to get that number down.

I suppose in the big scheme of things, 100 road deaths in a year is not too bad, especially when you compare it to some other countries. Mind you the population of South Australia is around 2 million, so we are about 10% of the total population of Oz. We do have excellent fresh food, especially seafood, wine is especially good, and there are some good ice cream shops along the way, as well.

I received my dog tags with the USB bit on, and am compiling the stuff to go into it. So when I am finished I will give a review of the product.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:32 pm

WA9FWT wrote:

Just make sure your new ride will have the Headlite modulator installed.I will not leave home with out it .
Best thing for safety I ever installed on the bike.

WA9FWT Phil[/quote]

On my list of things to buy. Will be putting it on both the trike and the gl1000 when I get them on the road. Also will be adding the loudest electric airhorns I can find. Now if I could just find a 50cal to mount on the handle bars I would be set. Maybe a rocket launcher on each fender of the trike??? A rear mounted bazooka for the tailgaiters?? A few hangernades for those beside me that want to move into my lane, where I am at already??? Then I would be ready for a road trip.

squirrel

Postby squirrel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 am

would love to fit a headlight modulator but they are illegal over here in uk ( no idea why)

:(

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Maybe there is some way to start a campaign to get that changed. Get as much info here about their benefit from official traffic agencies here in the states explaining their usage cutting down on accidents. I would think with the foggy weather over there, they would really be a big help.

squirrel

Postby squirrel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:56 am

that is an excellent idea and if it saves one life well worth it . i will look into this thank you

jmichael
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing

Postby jmichael » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:56 pm

I had a headlight modulator on my 02 ACE and it sure made me and the bike more noticable!

The human mind is trained from a young age...it sees cars when driving because a car is horizonal, whereas a motorcycle/bicycle etc is vertical...does not see it...Virgil is right also. There is a human brain blind spot...learned that on some training videos. People see what they concentrate on...like looking for cars, versus a motorcycle...never see it. The best film I saw on this was one of some kids tossing around some basketballs....the instructor said, now I want you to concentrate on following one of those basketballs...then afterwards he asked, did you see the gorilla? Most said, what gorilla...he replayed the video, and said don't concentrate on any basket ball, just watch between the kids tossing the balls...about 10 seconds into the film, a guy in a gorilla suit comes inbetween them, waves at the camera and exits...stage left...proving the point...you see what you are looking for.

If folks don't look for motorcycles, they never see them! Most folks are not so blind to a headlight modulator, because a blinking light of any type is an attention getter....they stop to get a better look, therefore not doing a running stop at a stop sign!
Everyone knows I am different....so what?
And just what is the purpose of that yellow chicken on the back of your GW??

squirrel

Postby squirrel » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:46 pm

thanks for all your input. i've decided to have one fitted and see what happens. may end up in court but what better place to tell them how it is

:!:

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Just tell them you have a weird electrical problem that goes away at night... :?:

squirrel

Postby squirrel » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:01 pm

ha ha but you know i think that may just work as the police over here are pretty good i will post if or should i say when i get stopped

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Best of luck and keep us posted as to what happens! Also, spend a bit of time looking up the US federal laws for motorcycle headlight modulators...Here it is a federal law and that superceeds any silly local laws....I used to carry a copy of that with me when riding to show the police, but they never stopped me!

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Best of luck and keep us posted as to what happens! Also, spend a bit of time looking up the US federal laws for motorcycle headlight modulators...Here it is a federal law and that superceeds any silly local laws....I used to carry a copy of that with me when riding to show the police, but they never stopped me!

That law could be the basis for getting the same law written in Great Britain!
Last edited by jmichael on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:01 pm

If you look in the Manuals section here, you'll see a downloadable PDF:

Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - USA and Canada

It contains the appropriate US and Canadian federal laws, in a format that prints out quite small, that you can carry with you to show any doubtful law enforcement officer who may disagree with your "flashing headlight."

squirrel

Postby squirrel » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:18 pm

the modulator regs probably won't wash with the police over here in uk and might even annoy some of them. but as a tool for a discussion may be handy ( i still like the electrical fault defence though) :lol:

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:59 pm

I just can not see why any one would ban a flashing light that saves lives. :roll:
Even our school buse's have a flashing light on top of the buss to save children from a accident :?

Like I say, I do not leave home with out it.I also can say it has saved me more then once.
I wish you luck in pursuing this change, to use modulator lights on motorcycles.

WA9FWT Phil

Doug B.
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda GL1500SE with DFT Trike kit
1998 HondaGL1500SE
1995 Honda GL1500I
1984 Honda VF700 Magna
1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore
1970 Honda CT70HKO (4 speed)

Postby Doug B. » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 am

jmichael wrote:. The best film I saw on this was one of some kids tossing around some basketballs....the instructor said, now I want you to concentrate on following one of those basketballs...then afterwards he asked, did you see the gorilla? Most said, what gorilla...he replayed the video, and said don't concentrate on any basket ball, just watch between the kids tossing the balls...about 10 seconds into the film, a guy in a gorilla suit comes inbetween them, waves at the camera and exits...stage left...proving the point...you see what you are looking for.

Here you go.....What's interesting is, even being a cruiser rider, I DID NOT see the gorilla the first time I watched it.

http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/gori ... iment.html
"The only problem with 'common sense' is that it is not all that common." Charles Kuralt

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 am

Doug B. wrote:
jmichael wrote:. The best film I saw on this was one of some kids tossing around some basketballs....the instructor said, now I want you to concentrate on following one of those basketballs...then afterwards he asked, did you see the gorilla? Most said, what gorilla...he replayed the video, and said don't concentrate on any basket ball, just watch between the kids tossing the balls...about 10 seconds into the film, a guy in a gorilla suit comes inbetween them, waves at the camera and exits...stage left...proving the point...you see what you are looking for.

Here you go.....What's interesting is, even being a cruiser rider, I DID NOT see the gorilla the first time I watched it.

http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/gori ... iment.html

Very interesting. :shock: Put a flashing light on that Gorilla, and try that test again ?

WA9FWT Phil

Return to “Goldwing Chat”