MP3 brand

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

MP3 brand

Postby Dogsled » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:38 pm

I use a Sansa Disc MP3 that is run thru my 97' 1500 modified radio...

Anybody out there uses a better performing unit.

I have an i-POD (I just got and loaded in a bunch of music but haven't tested) that seems to be alot better as far as seperating my music selection and being able to change selections while riding. I don't have much experience with the 12 v aux plug-in charging unit it would take to keep me running for long hours.

My Sansa disc has failed me when it was running in HOT DIRECT sunlight.....it just shuts down. I was told by people, i-PODs have shutdown when subjected to direct heat too.

No bluetooth even being thought about, I just need a good quality MP3, if they even still make them......and no, I don't have a cell phone to integrate....:-)

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: MP3 brand

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm

you already have an IPod all you need now is one of those FM transmitters that plug into the cig lighter and the Ipod. They work well and keep the Ipod charged. They have a switch on the side that allows you to change the output frequency if you run into an area with a radio station broadcasting on the first one you choose. Usually about $20 each. I use mine with my Iphone4 for playing music over the bikes stero system 8-)

If you cant find one of these units in your area let me know and I can pick you one up here from Canadian Tire stores and mail it to you for cost +shipping 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:48 pm

OK, I see your 2 pictures, WHY do I need an FM transmitter to keep my i-Pod charged??? I have 2 cig lighters on seperate fuses. Here's where you lose me 'They have a switch on the side that allows you to change the output frequency if you run into an area with a radio station broadcasting on the first one you choose' I don't understand the FM radio reference...I just want to keep the i-pod charged.
What is that this above the 3 'cig lighter inputs' in the 2nd picture?
That's also a pretty neat i-pod holder in the ghostly 1st pic. Is that holder available for the RAM mount or is it ON a RAM mount?
I NEVER listen to the radio so this is where I may be confused on your FM reference.
I do appreciate your wanting to help me with getting a product over the borders at a reasonable cost.
I need to look into this further and see if this i-Pod I have is even the MP3 I want to go with. It's a little older unit (not much) but already doesn't want to load in apps because I don't have 4.2 or whatever the heck it wants. I don't need a life organizer, just a little muzika la muzika on the old sound system to get me down the road :D

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:58 pm

I use a bike mp3 plugs into gl1800 wiring run from handle bar switches not sure if they have wiring for the 1500.www.wingstuff.com has them. Sally :lol:

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:22 am

Ok I will make thisas clear as I can. first the 3 port cig lighter is like an extension cord it plugs into the power point in the left fairing pocket, the 3 port female end is doublesided taped in place.I mounted it here for easy access. the black unit that plugs into the lighter socket is a FM transmitter/holder and recharger for the Ipod/Iphone . It is alot like a ram mount . With the Ipod plugged in it charges up and broadcasts what ever is playing on the Ipod so you can tune your bikes FM stereo to that station and hear the ipod over the bikes speakers or into the helmet speaker. You become your own favorite radio station playing the songs you want to hear and nothing else, anybody within about 200 yards of you can also tune in as well.
The green glow in the first pic is the reflection of my shirt in the glass of my phone, Sorry didnt notice it till after I posted. This unit also works on some of the older and smaller Ipods 8-)
older ipod in the same unit
older ipod in the same unit
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 am

OK, first I have several cig lighter sockets on my bike that I wired and fused. So that's not the issue but that 3 plug add-on is pretty neat.

* Second, we're a dying breed!. Or maybe that's the way it is in Canada. When I was buying my Jeep the was an extra cig lighter and I brought it up to the salewoman. I was firmly corrected it's NOT a cigarrete lighter but an 'Auxillary Power Point'....and she went on a liitle too long about it and then said she hoped I now stand corrected....WTF, I told her I was looking for a car with a cigarette lighter and bought the Jeep somewhere else, Now you know too.... :lol:

Third I modified my stereo to accept mp3 players directly into it, so I don't need the FM transmitter. It's basically what Sally said the 1800 has.

I just started to mess with this i-pod, it's not a phone and generally I don't understand it's real purpose since I haven't found an app I actually wanted. BUT I figured out how to load music I have stored onto it. The biggest issue was the mounting bracket and charging issue for long rides. Since you use one, do you think the i-Pod is the best music source, if it seems to have the best appeal of the masses I will have to find a charging system for the 'power port'. A little velcro usualy holds stuff on the dash, Poor man RAM mount..but if they're cheap enough I may kick out for a mount I wear gloves so changing soungs on a touch screen is hard.

Too bad that was a bad picture, I was goin out to buy one of those 'green hologram i-pods'... :D

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Any luck with your iPod hookup yet?

I have a car charger for my iPod that I keep on the bike. It only charges (no FM transmitter - that stays in the truck/RV) - I plan on installing a cig lighter plug in the glove box so I can leave it all hooked up and out of the rain.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:59 pm

I have a Sansa MP-3 with ten gig of memory and love it. My two previous MP-3's were Sansa too. In my opinion they're the best for the buck.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:57 pm

vtxcandyred wrote:I have a Sansa MP-3 with ten gig of memory and love it. My two previous MP-3's were Sansa too. In my opinion they're the best for the buck.

I have 3 Sansa's.....i've now changed over to i-pod touch.......All 3 sansas would shut down after hours in the direct sunlight heat....Garmins have done that too but the sansas are relgious on not liking direct sunlight

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Dogsled wrote:
vtxcandyred wrote:I have a Sansa MP-3 with ten gig of memory and love it. My two previous MP-3's were Sansa too. In my opinion they're the best for the buck.

I have 3 Sansa's.....i've now changed over to i-pod touch.......All 3 sansas would shut down after hours in the direct sunlight heat....Garmins have done that too but the sansas are relgious on not liking direct sunlight

To each his own. "I" have NEVER had that problem. It was in the sun in North Carolina with a temp of 101 degrees.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:28 am

The shutting down wasn't an issue (although I could never figure out why.) I liked the sansas, easy to load music. I had different music on each one so whatever I felt like I was able to switch. Why 3? My 2 daughters gave me theirs when the went to the i-pod touch aka that's where I got the i-pod touch from. They must feel the need to waste money to buy something that does the same thing they got rid of is inportant in life.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”