Phil Inspired Me. I Hope Others Will Do This.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Phil Inspired Me. I Hope Others Will Do This.

Postby patbrandon1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi fellow Wingers. The other day I watched a video that Phil had posted and it inspired an idea. I felt like I got to know Phil a lot better just by watching his little video. I got a new camera from my sister for Christmas, and wanted to try my hand at videoing. I know people may not want to get to know this old guy from Michigan, but I hope some other fellas will do a short video and post it, just to get to know each other a little bit.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: Phil Inspired Me. I Hope Others Will Do This.

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:38 am

What a cool little bike shop, I loved the video... :D

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:47 am

Nice video and great little shop...If I could only get so organized...Like you, hope others will make videos too. If I can figure out how to operate my camera I got a few months ago and then figure out how to get it posted, maybe I can get one together this week.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:29 am

I wish my garage was as messy as your shop, lol. I have a feeling we may be seeing more people post. I think my new phone can do a quick video, will see, but I want to at least cut the back yard down first (it looks like hell due to the winter, I do not have snow that covers it to make it look nice).

Definitely nice to meet people this way.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:17 pm

GO PACKERS...!
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:GO PACKERS...!

Were you referring to the G on my sweatshirt in the video when you posted GO PACKERS...! ? That is a shirt from Garber Highschool football. It is illegal to root for the Packers on the East side of Michigan. Although the Lions aren't much of a team to root for.

artib270
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade,2003 ninja 600rr

Postby artib270 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:52 pm

i will make a video i watched phils i hope hes feeling better and im gonna watch your,looks like fun!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 am

Pat - thanks for showing us where your key is... and then you were going to tell us the address if we were coming to Bay City? Hawwww, hahahahaha...... and when do you go away for your winter vacation? You are a trusting soul, sir.

I love Bay City. I was there three times last year. The first was in the spring when I attended a Road Captain course at the Honda shop, and then we got back there for a vacation time in July. I got back once more in September after the Sault campout. I have probably met half the people in Bay City with Goldwings. It is a great city.

Oh, good video by the way.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:01 am

patbrandon1 wrote:
Wingsconsin wrote:GO PACKERS...!

Were you referring to the G on my sweatshirt in the video when you posted GO PACKERS...! ? That is a shirt from Garber Highschool football. It is illegal to root for the Packers on the East side of Michigan. Although the Lions aren't much of a team to root for.

Ha Ha Ha :oops:
Go Garber..! :mrgreen:

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:16 pm

You might notice that there are no huge tool boxes in my little shop. Here is the reason for that. Some info for others with tool boxes too. Hope I can shorten this sad story. Several years ago, the company I work for needed me to fill in as a machine mechanic for their plant in Indianapolis for two weeks. I do this every once in a while because sometimes people have emergencies, and just need some help. So on a Friday, they loaded my stack on and roll away onto my pickup and I cabled it down, locked it, covered it up and went home to wait to go to work on Monday. My home plant is 65 miles north, and this would save me a couple hours travel. I've done it like this before. Well, Saturday was my daughters birthday, so I went out to buy a few more things for a little party I was having for her on Sunday. I thought I would be sneaky and hide the presents in the lower drawer in the roll away, and lock them up, so she couldn't find them. She was always pretty good at snooping, so I had to get better at hiding . ;) Anywho...Sunday morning came around, and I was going to give my little girl a small gift early, because her party wasn't starting until 3 o'clock, and she was up at 7 asking me a lot of questions. So I went out to my truck, and low and behold, someone had taken my tool boxes during the night. The cables were cut, and both of them were gone, along with the presents. After pulling my jaw back into it's proper position, I phoned the police to report it. An officer came and made a report. Then I quick like a bunny, found a sitter, and bolted to the store to buy some more presents. Then I phoned my boss, and he had me come to the plant and he sent his stack on with me. Then, this is where it gets sad, I phoned my insurance company and explained what happened. First, the agent said that because it was in my truck, the auto portion of my policy would be in charge of the claim. But once that found out it was parked in my driveway, the homeowners policy would be in charge. They had me make a list of the missing tools. I have been collecting these for over 25 years, and many were specific expensive tools for my particular job. Just one of the tools, a 700# limit torque wrench, I was still paying Snap-On for. (600#s was the torque for large bolts for the chrome rollers that squishes the plastic into thin sheets) It was always suggested by our company to take photos of the tools we had, so the list making was a bit easier. I had also engraved any tool big enough with PJB7093. Now the sad part. Due to the fact that I used these tools for work, and didn't have a separate rider for the tools, they were not going to cover the claim. I had been with this insurance company for many years, both home, and auto, and had never made a claim. I have since switched. I also figure the thief or thieves, had to back a pickup right behind mine to move them onto it, because it took a hi-lo to load them onto my truck.

So, just a heads up. If you use anything on your property to make a living, i.e. tools, computer, machinery, etc. make sure they are covered by your insurance carrier. Trust me, I tried for a long time to get the claim, but they wouldn't budge. The figure my boss and I came up with was around $10,000 to $12,000 to replace all the tools and boxes with new. My company did give me some tools, and the other mechanics pitched in with some of the extras they had. That was very nice of them. So, I have two tool boxes I use in my shed, and I always lock them away in my house. It is a pain to have to take them in and out all the time, but I keep seeing my old stolen tools in my mind, and toting them gets easier. In the several years since this has happened, I haven't come across one tool with the scribed number on it. And I still look when at a flee market, or rummage sale.

Below are a couple pics of what my boxes looked like. On the back there was a sticker on each box. The roll away's said "Do Not Eat", and the stack on said, "Have a Fat Freddie" So if you ever see them, let me know, and I'll send you some cookies.
Attachments

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:17 pm

That is a rotton shame about the tools. I think if it were me, I would get a couple more roll arounds, put them in my truck, then spend my days sleeping and my nights on the roof with a rifle. Eventually, I would get someone.

I had my radio stolen out of my truck one time when I parked in front of a friends house on the street. I don't know how many nights I parked on the side of a road that had a hill/incline beside it that I could sit on with my rifle. No one stopped. But I was so angry, I would have shot anyone that goty within 3 feet of my truck unless it was a cop in uniform driving a cruiser. I cannot stand a thief. Personally I think that if they gave the death penalty, eventually the message would get out and theft would stop, or eventually we would kill them all.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:50 pm

In Chicago when I worked on Highrises we had a large tool box we all shared and we put our personal items in our own tool bags, they stoled my lunch and my tools, I wanted to throw someone off the building that day and everyone knew it..Littlebeaver was pissed...My wife made me that sandwich and soup..That pissed me off...Most of them wouldn't even look at me I was hot...they got a knife my brother in law gave me for Christmas [buck] and some other hand tools...I was told it would be safe..I knew then that there was a freakin thief on our crew....I told them I would bloody up someone's face if they ever get caught stealing from me..Freaked them out because I'm so nice all the time..They didn't expect that from me...But I also hate a thief...Dumb SOB...whoever ripped me off......It takes a sorry individual to steal another mans lunch...

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:24 pm

I hate to hear about your tools, hoss. There is no lower human being than someone who steals a working mans tools. I think it's caused by a chemical defenciency. 180 grains of lead injected between the eyes will cure it.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:54 pm

I just watched it Pat, and that was one nice video.You have a real nice house there and with the sheds it sure adds to all. Your audio was just great, wish I had a voice like that.Also your camera sure works well,and does a supper job.I think maybe you started something here with doing this,and whats great is the winters are so long we just spend way to much time in doors, and what better way to meet all from around the world.
Also thanks again for our Wing-Adm and this site.

WA9FWT Phil

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Now for the million dollar question Pat.... Did you're daughter still have a joyful Birthday???? And I can only imagine how badly you must have felt..... Something bad will happen to that guy or those guys because it was probably more than one guy...those tools may turn up when they bust those fools...they caught a guy in Kansas City once with a house full of stolen goods and lots of people got there property back...Not likely but maybe... :D I have motion lights mounted front and back at our house in Kansas...If you guys don't have these, I suggest you go and make this your next project.. Thieves hate those lights coming on unexpectedly on them...Maybe so camera's posted too... :shock:

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:20 am

Thanks fellas. Yes, I was so pissed, but more of a numb kinda pissed. Just kinda walked around in a daze for a while, like the time our house burned down in 2000. It was a good thing I had my daughter's birthday to occupy some of my thinking. I managed to have my son keep her busy while the police were there, so she wouldn't have her day upset. And it did turn into a good party for her, and I am grateful that I had that to keep me focused. I too am a pretty laid back guy, but if I had caught them, I would not have been laid back. I do now have lights in 4 places that are motion activated. In my driveway, there is an amount of a street light that, at the time lit up the drive a little, but now a motion light does the job. I was told having motion lights can reduce the possibility of theft by as much as 95%. I'm sold. Things like theft, and a house fire change people. The first gift my children ALL asked for for birthdays or Christmas after the fire, was a fireproof safe. They all have one now. And I STILL look at every tool I see, in any used tool setting, for my inscription.

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:48 am

i make a trip up 25 every summer. i start on 29 and run that to port huron and then 25 around to bay city before heading south for home
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:31 pm

An insurance agent friend of mine gave me this tip a while back. I did it about ten years ago, I really need to do it again. Take a video camera, when everyone is out of the house, and spend half an hour or so walking through your entire house. Open every closet, every drawer, look closely at every piece of electronics, every tool, dishes, appliances, furniture, etc...document absolutely everything in the house. Then take that recording and store it somewhere safe. Make a couple copies and give them to friends/family to hold onto.

It might seem like a waste of time, but in the case of theft, fire, or other disaster, you'll be thanking yourself for your foresight.

If someone stole all your tools, could you document from memory what exactly was stolen? I sure couldn't.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:23 pm

I know what I'm doing tomorrow...Good one, I never thought of that... :D

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 pm

I agree, Phil started something good and I enjoyed both of the videos. So I guess I will have to keep up with the"Jones"and see what I can't do about shooting a video. But with all the snow we just got there sure isn't going to be any"grass peaking thru".
Proud member Patriot Guard

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 am

bustedwing wrote:I agree, Phil started something good and I enjoyed both of the videos. So I guess I will have to keep up with the"Jones"and see what I can't do about shooting a video. But with all the snow we just got there sure isn't going to be any"grass peaking thru".

Phil also says...Keep the snow on that side of the lake :lol: We had about 5 inches of that white stuff today
here.Looking forward to seeing your video.

Phil WA9FWT

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:32 am

WA9FWT wrote:Phil also says...Keep the snow on that side of the lake :lol: We had about 5 inches of that white stuff today
here.Looking forward to seeing your video.

Phil WA9FWT

Well Phil, I sure am trying to keep the snow on this side of the Lake. I almost made a video of me snow blowing our six inches today, just so wouldn't feel all alone in the task of moving it. I actually think I saw a tear in my Goldwing's eye (Left front turn signal) while the snow was falling. I know there was one in mine. Be well, and know that there are only 24 days 13 hours and 18 minutes until Spring arrives.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:54 am

Well my side of the lake is the north side since I live in the U.P.so the snow has this funny border line right down the middle. Yea, right, and I have a bridge for sale in London too.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:00 pm

well, I did the video, but not real sure if it will work. I am not super computer savvy, but if it doesn't work I will try again later.

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:15 pm

bustedwing wrote:well, I did the video, but not real sure if it will work. I am not super computer savvy, but if it doesn't work I will try again later.

I had to play around too. But when you get it done and posted, please let us know where it is so we can go watch. :arrow:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”