Goldie to Goldie swap

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Blackadder
Motorcycle: GL1200 1984
VT1100C Shadow old style
VF1100C Super Magna

Goldie to Goldie swap

Postby Blackadder » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 am

Okay - so... I picked up this night-blue '84 GL 1200 last spring with some 50'000 Km, outfitted it with the essential pirate flag and rode it all over the Alps and down the length of Italy. Everything fine except battery wouldn't hold a charge. No surprise, generator had died. Investigated the cost of having the darned thing replaced and decided it wasn't worth having the work done. So mothballed the bike sadly and rode the heck out of my other bikes.

Today I stopped by a bike shop and tripped over a Golden GL 1200 with same mileage (but with a functioning generator - first thing I checked). Took a turn around the parking lot with it it runs smooth and clean. Showed the guy my Goldwing and traded it in. So now he's going to fix up the golden Goldie and give it a full going-over. Then I get 3 months unlimited warranty - i.e. he'll fix everything that isn't fine, no questions. I've bought from same place before, has always honoured his warranties. Taking delivery in about two weeks, 'cos I'm travelling until then. Woohoo! Also I noticed it's an Aspencade with buttons all over it and so much chrome we had to approach it wearing welder's masks. 8-)

Now I just need a flagpole and a new pirate flag. (lost the old one in Italy)

Oh yes, and I need a demonic name for her - "Goldie" is kinda wimpy :twisted: Also the way I ride, it really doesn't fit...

"Just remember - the tyres generally face downwards..."
Blackadder
Current bikes:
Honda VF 1100C Supermagna "The Antichrist" (sorry if that offends anyone - it's what my wife called it after she first took a ride on it... and a lot of other stuff too...)
Honda VT 1000C Shadow "The Balrog"
Yamaha XJ900 "Bloody hell, start, won't you, you stupid piece of scrap metal"

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
Mahatma Gandhi

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Goldie to Goldie swap

Postby Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Yes, that is what I need, my flags....(pirate and USA) just so I have them, that will be the last addition on this bike before its maiden voyage....oh, I do have to get my satellite radio hooked up so I can get my Margaritaville music playing.

Talk about a deal for you, that is great. I wish I had a place around me like that, but we don't. I keep thinking it may be a good business to start up, we have a Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki shop in town with no competition whatsoever.

Enjoy the ride...

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Why a pirate flag? There are better options, I think.

Here are some names for your to consider:
"oldie"
"Boldie oldie"
"Wing and a prayer"
"Gone with a wing"
"Schwissh"
"No guts, no glory"
"Wildie"

Some of those may not be appropriate, depending on language, and some you may not want to draw attention to yourself with, but they are offered for your consideration.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Blackadder
VT1100C Shadow old style
VF1100C Super Magna

Postby Blackadder » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:52 am

Thanks for the suggestions: The wife has taken it upon herself to name my bikes, so I'll pass them on to her. The GL1200 I'm trading in she named "Icarus", somehow I would have preferred "Daedalus", Icarus' Dad, as he was obviously the more intelligent of the two... She said the air suspension felt like flying...

Why the pirate flag? Hmmmm... deep psychological questions? Well, I guess everyone has to get in touch with their dark side :twisted:
I try to do that by riding demonic bikes and also through what I do at work - but that would be telling, wouldn't it?

But most of the time I'm a nice guy who rescues kittens out of trees, helps old ladies across the road and helps mums lift their heavy prams into the bus.

But put me on a bike... And the horns sprout, the eyes start to glow and I somehow never have trouble getting the right of way - everyone just seems to stay waaaaaaaaay away from me. Probably the smell of sulphur :(

Just kidding. Blackadder
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
Mahatma Gandhi

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 am

I quite like the idea of a mad Swiss couple touring Europe on a pirate bike. Given that Switzerland is land locked I suppose you might be the first pirates from that great nation. Thought you might like this site for some ideas for names:- http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Blackadder
VT1100C Shadow old style
VF1100C Super Magna

Postby Blackadder » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:54 am

Arrrrrh - Aye Matey Right y'are. Tis an island o' landlubbers! Arrrh.

Good Site, matey. Thank ye kindly!

Now where's me parrot?

Peg-leg Blackadder, terror of the Swiss Main
Mahatma Gandhi

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Even though it is landlocked, doesnt Switzerland enter candidates in the Americas Cup yacht races?

No pirates there! You might like a demons flag, like the one that is used by an Australian Rules Football club, or one of their Pirate designs. But I think a pirate flag is overused for no good reason.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Blackadder
VT1100C Shadow old style
VF1100C Super Magna

Postby Blackadder » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:49 am

Alinghi, yes. And the Swiss have a navy, believe it or not... :lol:
I think it consists of a Zodiac with a driver and a guy with a pointed stick to sink the enemy's inflatable rubber dinghies...

Very good point about the pirate flag being overused. There's even a pirate political party here
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party_Switzerland

The whole flag thing is basically about being a bit different and showing some individuality. Here everone rides brand new BMWs, shiny new mainstream bikes. It's boring. The Harley crowd here... what can I say? (Begin rant mode.) Bankers, archtects and insurance guys who wear suits all day and spend other people's money, then buy Harley and matching Harley jacket, boots, wristwatch and have never even checked the oil level themselves, let alone have even a baaaasic understanding of their own bike. But... it's a Harley and it was expensive and I feel oh so cool with my Harley sunglasses. Bah. (End rant mode.) Yes, I know some very nice Harley riders who just enjoy riding, are sociable and would always pull over to help another rider, no matter what they ride. It's the other kind that get up my nostril.

Anyway - that's why I like to keep a sense of individuality. Why I have not-so-mainstream bikes, all from the '80s and why I particularly like the carburettor GL1200. Sure, there are quite a few around, but when we pass one another, there's always a smile and a wave. The 1500 and 1800 are sure nice, too, but there's something about the engine's howl of joy as the goldie bombs up a mountain pass at high revs that the electronics seem to disapprove of. I like the demon flag idea. Will definitely look into that.

Cheers, Blackadder
Mahatma Gandhi

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Just a reminder because we all tend to forget the obvious and stuff we have been told over and over. The three yellow wires, the connector and the dead stater. Sounds like the one you are getting rid of. Now is that all original on the one you are getting??? If it is, have the dealer re-do the three yellow wires, get rid of the connector and do it the correct way. Otherwise, you may find yourself in the same boat next month on a run across europe. Having fried one, I know the pain.

Blackadder
VT1100C Shadow old style
VF1100C Super Magna

Postby Blackadder » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:57 am

Excellent Advice, Twostroke - will certainly do. Soldering iron's at the ready.

Will let y'all know how it runs out once I get it and have ridden more than a couple of miles test-drive. Everything seemed okay then, and the dealer (Honda dealer) has in the meantime given it a standard servicing and showed me the receipt for the work done. Oh yeah, and the it passed the check-up thing you need to do every few years to be allowed to stay on the road (MOT?) with no hitch.

So I'm hoping that I can get up and go after doing the usual preventive maintenance that y'all discuss on this greatest of Goldwing sites (if it hasn't been done by the P.O.).

Cheers, Blackadder
Mahatma Gandhi

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:16 am

Sounds like you are getting a great deal...I would do the hardwire regardless...When I bought mine (about 07) it was pristine with 9500 miles on her. I noticed the weak batttery situation a year later with 20something thousand. I had even taken it to a dealer in Utah before I left for home in TX specifically to check the charging system as I had read about the yellow wire problem. They said it was fine. Next day I left and didn't get 200 miles before she died on the side of the road. A very deserted road I might say, in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately I carry a lot of junk when I travel. So, spliced out the connector and hardwired the stator. Had one of those heavyduty battery jumper packs and a battery charger in the trunk. Was able to transfer enough charge to the battery to get it started and drove the next 100 miles like a bat out of hell to the next town. From there, it was charge battery, drive 100 mi, stop 1.5 hrs, then drive another 100 mi, stop again 1.5 hrs, drive again 100 mi. Did that all the way (1200mi) back to San Antonio. Long trip, lots of rest stops though, lol. Point being....it is not "if" it fails, it is a matter "when" it fails. I ended up doing the poorboy conversion to car alternator for less than half of what it would have cost to pull the engine and replace the stator and that was paying my private shop mechanic to do all the work. Anyway, hope you are riding her soon as often as you can.

Blackadder
VT1100C Shadow old style
VF1100C Super Magna

Postby Blackadder » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:32 am

New Goldie Aspie 84 sitting downstairs in the garage since yesterday, after a hair-raising battle to get the darn machine up onto a bike trailer using folding bench as a ramp (original ramp got stolen...), and then off again, and then same procedure agan to get my old Goldie up the bench and onto the trailer, with my 11 year old son's help only. Wow, am I glad that's over. T'ain't natural for a Goldwing to have her tyres off the ground...

First ride today: choke cable was stiff, so put some graphite powder in there. Wanted to cur and solder the three famous yellow wires by the battery, but found they'd already been done. :) So maybe the PO knew a little about these bikes? Next surprises: compressor works, digital dashboard a-ok, clutch smooth and most surprising, gear shifts are smooth, compared to my old Goldie standard 84, anyhow. So I'm a happy guy so far. Need to dig up my dvm and check that the battery is charging. If not, warranty. If yes, woohoo....

Looks like a good trade.

Cheers, Blackadder
Mahatma Gandhi

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:52 am

They can be a bear to load. Lucky you didn't (or you son) didn't get hurt. They are heavy bikes. I had a trailer set up for a while with a winch. I would get it set at the end of the trailer, pick up the winch starter, sit on the bike and guide into the chock. Then strip her down. I havn't yet, but will probably move that over to the trailer I have now too. Sure made it a lot easier to maintain control and not have to fight the weight.

Glad you got it home safe and seems to be all in good order. it's a lot more enjoyable when you ride away knowing she will bring you home.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”