Where to keep concealed firearm?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Pigasus
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LTD

Where to keep concealed firearm?

Postby Pigasus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:14 pm

I've been trying to come up with a good location to store my concealed carry handgun while riding my 1200 LTD. I normally carry IWB, but this doesn't lend itself to quick access with all the leathers on. I've thought that a tank bag with a side pocket designed for a handgun might be nice, and I know they make them, but the LTD's computer and plastic shelter cover complicates things a bit. Maybe something custom?

What are some of you folks using, and how is it working for you?

--Pig

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Where to keep concealed firearm?

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:22 pm

Pigasus wrote:I've been trying to come up with a good location to store my concealed carry handgun while riding my 1200 LTD. I normally carry IWB, but this doesn't lend itself to quick access with all the leathers on. I've thought that a tank bag with a side pocket designed for a handgun might be nice, and I know they make them, but the LTD's computer and plastic shelter cover complicates things a bit. Maybe something custom?

What are some of you folks using, and how is it working for you?

I am never comfortable keeping my gun anywhere but on my person, so I just continue carrying IWB. Appendix carry (with a Crossbreed Appendix) works well for me, and is still easily accessible.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Where do you ride that you need to quick draw. In my 40 years carrying a gun I have never needed to pull it out. Riding jackets and vest come with gun pockets. I am sure you could get something made for the tank, but I wouldn't want someone else having that kind of access to my gun.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:29 pm

I was always under the impression a CC permit was for actually on your person, and not "nearby, loaded and unlocked". :lol:
Is is legal to transport a firearm like that?
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:54 pm

It depends on the state laws. In Ohio, a CC permit allows you carry a loaded handgun (no rifles) on your person, and inside a car/vehicle (a motorcycle counts). You cannot have a loaded gun inside a car in Ohio without holding a CC permit. Some states you can carry a loaded handgun in a car without a CC permit.

You cannot have a loaded rifle inside a car in Ohio period. And if you have a rifle magazine with rounds in it, locked inside a lockbox in the trunk, and the rifle is locked away inside another container in a separate part of the vehicle, that rifle is still considered to be loaded, and it is a felony in Ohio. They're working on changing that ridiculous law.

Pigasus

Postby Pigasus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:21 am

golden highway wrote:Where do you ride that you need to quick draw. In my 40 years carrying a gun I have never needed to pull it out. Riding jackets and vest come with gun pockets. I am sure you could get something made for the tank, but I wouldn't want someone else having that kind of access to my gun.

I definitely wouldn't leave it in something like a tank bag unattended. Absolutely not.

I do most of my riding in a relatively calm, peaceful rural region. Odds are very much against anything happening, and yet, even in this quiet place, occasional tragedies happen at the hands of violent meth-heads or urban gang-bangers that somehow find their way out here. Like my fire insurance policy, I expect to never need it, but I intend to be prepared should the unexpected happen. I owe it to my family, whether any of them are riding with me or I am solo.

Thanks for the thoughts, gents!
--Pig

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:03 am

Scott is correct that carry laws vary from state to state. It would behoove you to carefully research your state laws before you decide on a course of action.

Basically, all concealed carry permits allow the holder to carry a weapon in most any way they choose whether on their person or not. Glove compartment carry is a part of this. Saddlebags and fairing pockets would also fall into this. You had better not have a loaded weapon on your person or in any kind of compartment in a vehicle of any kind unless you have a permit, are an LEO, or live in Vermont where no permit is required at all.

Pennsylvania pretty much mimics Ohio's carry laws, except that we don't restrict loaded rifle carry in a vehicle if you have a permit. Loaded firearms are verboten if you don't entirely. One fact that many don't know is that Pa. is an "open carry" state and always has been, but this doesn't apply to being in a vehicle.

There are many options for concealed carry these days. It just takes a bit of research to check them all out. One that I like for carry on a motorcycle is the fanny pack with integral holster. There are also vests that have holsters made with them. Pigasus is on track with his concern for leaving a weapon with a bike when unattended. Not a good thing. IWB holsters are very versatile and popular, but for on a bike, if it isn't positively secured to your belt, I wouldn't recommend using one while riding. Too much risk of the weapon coming loose from your waistband. That would be a catastrophe.

Personally, I like to use my pocket automatic with a pocket holster on the bike. Some shy away from small pistols for their own reasons, but there are many circumstances that they just work very well for CC. I've never had any problems and the pocket holster doesn't print very badly.

Another major caution is crossing state lines while carrying. You need to make sure that the other states you are traveling in have reciprocity with the state you were issued a permit with. This is one big reason why the Utah non resident permits have continued to gain favor with many. They offer the largest number of states that honor them of virtually any issued. New York and Illinois continue to refuse to honor any other state's permits. Here in Pa, thanks largely to Governor Corbett while he was attorney general, 24 states honor ours. Unfortunately, Ohio still refuses because we don't require a class to obtain one.

One quote from trainer Clint Smith that I like a lot is one that is quite true regarding concealed carry. "Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable".
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 am

Concealed???
Have a look at this.. :) :)
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/06/11/motorcycle-leather-saddle-seat-with-gun-holster/

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:48 am

Aside from Toronto or Vancouver or marginally Montreal, I have never felt the need for one here. When I lived in the U.S., though, I had a carry pocket in my riding jacket that very comfortably couched either a Smith and Wesson 4 inch .357 magnum, or a Smith and Wesson 4 inch 9mm semi auto, and as there were two pockets, if I wanted to be that weighed down with hardware, I could carry both. They were great as conversation pieces at the Bike Club rallies, when everyone was drinking to excess, :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 am

I have a blow dart gun,,,I can drop a person in their tracks with my little froggy friends help..I never miss.... :lol:

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:51 am

I carry my 45 ACP in a shoulder holster. Its a heavy (two pounds) gun and the holster I use I have reconfigured to my liking. I figure if I have to draw in THAT big of a hurry I'm probably dead anyway.

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:11 pm

golden highway wrote:Where do you ride that you need to quick draw. In my 40 years carrying a gun I have never needed to pull it out. Riding jackets and vest come with gun pockets. I am sure you could get something made for the tank, but I wouldn't want someone else having that kind of access to my gun.

I have not been carrying for 40 years, but it is on my person in a jacket, vest, etc. Always accessible but as noted in another post, if I need it that quick, I am probably already dead. Drawing on anybody is a very scary thing and needs to be thought out.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:33 pm

wjnfirearms wrote:There are many options for concealed carry these days. It just takes a bit of research to check them all out. One that I like for carry on a motorcycle is the fanny pack with integral holster. There are also vests that have holsters made with them. Pigasus is on track with his concern for leaving a weapon with a bike when unattended. Not a good thing. IWB holsters are very versatile and popular, but for on a bike, if it isn't positively secured to your belt, I wouldn't recommend using one while riding. Too much risk of the weapon coming loose from your waistband. That would be a catastrophe.

Personally, I like to use my pocket automatic with a pocket holster on the bike. Some shy away from small pistols for their own reasons, but there are many circumstances that they just work very well for CC. I've never had any problems and the pocket holster doesn't print very badly.

A decent holster, like the Crossbreed I mentioned, will not come away from your belt unless it's deliberately unlatched, and the Kydex holster grabs the gun tight enough that it is not going anywhere unless you draw it. I've travelled thousands of miles with my gun IWB on my bike, and feel secure doing so. The biggest worry I have is damage I might incur from the gun should I come off the bike - just being bruised from the gun being pushed against me.

I've wanted to try a little pocket pistol, but I cannot fire my wife's little LCP accurately, it's just too small for my hands.

wjnfirearms wrote:Another major caution is crossing state lines while carrying. You need to make sure that the other states you are traveling in have reciprocity with the state you were issued a permit with. This is one big reason why the Utah non resident permits have continued to gain favor with many. They offer the largest number of states that honor them of virtually any issued. New York and Illinois continue to refuse to honor any other state's permits. Here in Pa, thanks largely to Governor Corbett while he was attorney general, 24 states honor ours. Unfortunately, Ohio still refuses because we don't require a class to obtain one.

I was going to mention this, I'm glad you did. Every state is different, and it changes from month to month - both reciprocity and laws. I have a PA permit as well, to cover me in your state, as well as in some states that PA has reciprocity with that OH does not.

Having to deal with the patchwork nightmare of different state laws and reciprocity agreements is a nightmare. If they could only pass a federal reciprocity law, to make them work like drivers licenses!

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 pm

I like to use a pocket holster with my lc9 cause I know it's secure in there and not going to work it's way out while riding.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:57 pm

I like mine to be locked up in a gun safe at home. That is about as concealed as you can get!

If you come off, the gun will not bruise you.

You dont have to worry about a "quick draw" contest, unless you want to point a hand with a couple of rubber bands, for practice.

I can travel through all States without having to get permits.

Seeing that I have travelled through 45 of the USA, have not carried, have walked the streets of Manhattan at night, and still was not molested or held up, or beaten, or robbed, or mugged, - just left alone. If anyone strange approaches me, I play dumb (or should I say dumber), put on the broadest Australian accent complete with slang, and see what happens. Mostly they give up in despair, because they just dont understand. I have travelled in the US, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, Hong Kong, China, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. The only place I was taken advantage of was in Bali Indonesia, where they stole my bag from a locked car. But that is what insurance is for!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:33 am

I've wanted to try a little pocket pistol, but I cannot fire my wife's little LCP accurately, it's just too small for my hands.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15625#ixzz2M0mQBRX4

I have a Taurus TCP. Yeah, it's small like the Ruger LCP, but I don't have small hands either and it feels ok in mine. I looked at other small autos and almost bought a S&W Bodyguard .380 until I played with one. Felt terrible in my hands. For it's size, the Taurus feels decent and shoots very well. I had a KelTec P Series before and it was ok, but not as good as the Taurus. I traded the KelTec away for the wife's Bersa Thunder.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

spiderjack
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Postby spiderjack » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm with wingadmin. I carry a Glock 27, and it's in a Cross Breed Supertuck holster, IWB. Perfectly comfortable on my bike, you don't know it's there, definitely secure, it's not going anywhere. And if I need quick access to it, I would be more worried about getting my gloves off first. I can't imagine many situations where I would choose to do that in favor of just gunning the bike and taking off.

And no offense to the fellow from Australia, but until you've spent time living here, you have no idea what you're talking about. There are many bad people here, and they have guns. It's an unfortunate fact of life. You can choose to be a victim, or choose to defend your life. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or can't. It does happen, I know from personal experience. I've lost a close friend to a useless thug who took his life for the $15 in his wallet. He was not in a bad area, he was not doing anything out of the ordinary, he was getting out of his car in the parking lot at a mall. I will do everything I can to make sure that does not happen to me or my family.

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm not sure about your state But here in New York state if your carring a loaded hand gun it MUST be on your person Period.That's why A small pocket pistol is nice. It better than a shape stick.You think I'm going for my wallet and suprize you lose. I use the triple tap method two quick shot to chest one in your skull.. :lol:

Pigasus

Postby Pigasus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:20 pm

For those pooh-poohing the "quick draw" scenario as reckless cowboy mentality, consider that a responsible gun owner will only draw as a next-to-last resort and fire as a last resort, when he is certain he or his loved ones are in imminent danger and there is no other reasonable way to avoid it. (that's a gender-neutral "he", by the way; kudos to the ladies that carry!) By then, it is likely that he will have almost no time to respond to the threat. Every microsecond really does count if your personal defense response is to be effective. As Spiderjack points out, removing gloves becomes a huge issue. Unzipping a jacket, digging in pockets... no matter where you store your firearm, it all takes time to have it in your hand and your sight acquired. So, if you choose to concealed carry (which this particular topic assumes you do), you have to decide how to balance its accessibility, concealment, comfort, safety, security, and still be legally compliant.

I have permits for Oregon, Utah and Arizona, which covers a good portion of the country. And yes, each state has its own idiosyncrasies and permit holders must know them when they cross state lines. I have a database-driven app on my phone that helps me with ready access to each state's statutes, and concise summaries of various pieces of information that are needed for concealed and open carry in those states. It's a good resource for trip planning.

I guess when I started this topic, I was hoping that someone had found that "magic" Goldwing place that was perfect for all of those items that I have on my "balance list" above, something that I hadn't considered. ;) This time of year, IWB is buried under a WHOLE LOT of layers, and my gloves ?? Well, I'm going to need a good 5 minutes to get a bead on anyone, so they'd better go have a cup of coffee first. :)

Good comments, all. Thank you for sharing. Others are welcome to keep adding!
--Pig

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:20 pm

Perhaps I have not been thinking everything through. I have never felt the need to get to my weapon while actually riding. On a wing, I always felt I could gun my way out of situations with the throttle and a couple good down shifts. My major concern has always been when I have stopped and am off the bike being at the roadside rest stop or whatever. There, the gloves are off, jacket unzipped and helmet off. Yes, I am not really prepared while doing these things for those 2 minutes. But after that I am prepared. So, IWB has always been fine with me.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:55 pm

My thought process has been the same as TwoStrokes, I do not want to fire whilst driving (more than likely to be considered road rage) so it is purely for self defense when parked and stationary.. I use a IWB and also a shoulder holster depending on what I am carrying and I think either will work for me when stationary. :D

Gary

Pigasus

Postby Pigasus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Agreed, at least to a point. I can't imagine trying to draw and fire whilst riding. I'll leave that to my pillion! :mrgreen: On the other hand, if I was forced off the road or blocked in to where I couldn't easily race off, I might not be exactly "parked," either. I could envision an angry cager pulling something like that, speaking of road rage!

Something I saw someone else mention is that it's probably best to carry the same way all the time if possible, practicing safely drawing often, and then "muscle memory" will take over in an emergency situation and you won't be fumbling around trying to figure out where it is.
--Pig

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Well, being a good, law abiding Canadian, I cannot keep my concealed firearm on my person in Canada, so I leave it in a lock box in the United States for when I travel there. (Hawwww, just kidding - maybe)
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:52 am

Think about adjusting your clothing. Having a tailor cut a slit in your jacket, vest etc. that matches the location of you gun..Velcro the slit with a narrow Velcro strip..so quick finger insert to open it up and there's your gun. Make it a little bigger than you think you need..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

alkutka
Motorcycle: 1999

Postby alkutka » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:16 am

I CCW a Keltec P3AT with the optional clip ,which resides in my right boot on the outboard side. This gun loaded with a Crimson Trace laser weigh 9 oz ,you don't even feel it in side the boot and it is readily available while riding.

Al in Fishkill

Last edited by alkutka on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”