Rear ContiMotion Tire May Lose Air

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Rear ContiMotion Tire May Lose Air

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:16 pm

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

thboyd29
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A (which I bought new)
2001 GL1800A (ditto)

Re: Rear ContiMotion Tire May Lose Air

Postby thboyd29 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't got a recall notice yet, but I do have one of the recalled tires. Had about 4500 miles on it with no apparent problem, but began the return process anyway. From talking to the rep, it sounds like Conti might be discontinuing this particular type/size, which is too bad.
I like pie.

thboyd29
2001 GL1800A (ditto)

Postby thboyd29 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Follow up - Tire returned, check received, new Metz bought/mounted. No muss, no fuss.
I like pie.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Tell me, when they mounted the replacement tyre, did they clean the rim of the wheel? Some tyre workers do not bother, and can cause leaks later on. Too often it is "Fast and furious" to get the tyre on, no checks (not the money type), and out the door so that they can get back to reading the latest HD mag.

If it was the back wheel, did they lube the drive gear?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

thboyd29
2001 GL1800A (ditto)

Postby thboyd29 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:52 am

redial wrote:Tell me, when they mounted the replacement tyre, did they clean the rim of the wheel? Some tyre workers do not bother, and can cause leaks later on. Too often it is "Fast and furious" to get the tyre on, no checks (not the money type), and out the door so that they can get back to reading the latest HD mag.

If it was the back wheel, did they lube the drive gear?

Well, my usual practice is to R&R the wheels myself and take them to an independent bike & machine shop which I trust. Over 20 years with that *person* (not shop, person), with zero problems. He'll fix/modify just about anything you bring to him, but he doesn't like to disassemble/reassemble bikes, so if you need a caliper or an engine rebuilt, you bring him the caliper or the engine.

As for lubing the drive gear? Well, an 1800's rear wheel R&R is not unlike a car's wheel - you remove a set of lug nuts, pull the wheel free, and let it drop down. The rear wheel itself contains no bearings, splines, or anything else that would require lubrication. The back side of the final drive from whence the wheel came is a machined-flat surface with five lug bolts protruding. Lubricating anything in the final drive on an 1800 (other than changing the final drive oil) would involve R&R and disassembly of the final drive itself, and as far as I know (I haven't double-checked the manual before writing this), Honda calls for no such maintenance. So I don't do it. At 150,000 miles and counting over the 12 years I've owned it, so far so good.

On the other hand, when I R&R the rear wheel of the 1100, that's a whole different story, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

I like pie.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”