Harbor Freight bike jack

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Harbor Freight bike jack

Postby tunaboy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:18 am

I want to get my GL 1100 off the floor so it is easier to work on. I am looking at the Harbor Freight bike jack. I can buy one for $80. Are they any good? Are the other brands I should look at? How steady are these jacks?
Thx.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Harbor Freight bike jack

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:35 am

Short answer-It's Harbor Fright not Freight!
I almost lost my Wide Glide off one of those Chinese Juke jacks when on of the lifting legs colapsed on me.
My next jack was a Pit Bull. Yes, much more expensive but, much more stable, made in the USA and worth every penny.
I consider those that report no problems w/the HF type jacks extremely lucky!

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:12 am

+1 on above

Like they say you get what you pay for.

BigBro
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200i Interstate

Postby BigBro » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:42 am

Consider looking at Sears-Craftsman brand. I am happy with mine just purchased about 2 months ago.
Very stable in this mode.
Attachments

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:45 am

I have two here. A person does not need to go really expensive to get a decent bike jack. The thing to look for is that the support arms be either box steel or angle iron type. Anything with a flat arm with no side to side support is doomed to failure. None of them seems very steady when the bike is up on them, but they are steadier than they seem. Harbour Fright - no, I don't think so.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

tunaboy

Postby tunaboy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:17 pm

I have been looking at these jacks for a while and MANY look like clones just different color paint.

BigBro

Postby BigBro » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:50 pm

They do appear to be clones but there are key differences I see in how they are made that contributes to cost or lack there of.
On some the wheels are attached with flat bar on others like the craftsman those outside rails are angle iron.
I also see differences in the thickness of the metal used.
While none of these jacks would be ideal to lift a rig this size from appearance such as my picture. I found the one i pictured appears to be solidly built and is quite sturdy when I did/do the shake test on it.

I did like another jack even better from the saddle plate size. However, I could never catch it on cycle where I could get it in a timely fashion. That forced me to consider the craftsman one I show and it appears to have been a good choice.
my .02

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:05 am

tunaboy wrote:I want to get my GL 1100 off the floor so it is easier to work on. I am looking at the Harbor Freight bike jack. I can buy one for $80. Are they any good? Are the other brands I should look at? How steady are these jacks?
Thx.

I also have a Craftsman motorcycle jack. I had looked at HF for them, but I am not as quick as I used to be, and don't think I could jump out of the way in time when it collapsed. My jack costs $130. For the extra $50 you get a lot more. Once up, and belted down correctly, I don't think you can knock it down if you wanted to. In my humble opinion, spend the extra on the jack. Save money at HF on other stuff.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:06 am

patbrandon1 wrote:Save money at HF on other stuff.

Harbour freight has their purposes. I spent a lot there in the past when I was getting started in things. I have a parts washer from them that I have been using for thirty years, and some once in five year use tools. They are great for this sort of thing. I would not, however, use these tools to make my living, and I would not use one of their bike jacks on a Goldwing. In my previous post, I noticed I said "I have two here" and it looked to me, after reading that, that I meant from HF. That was a screw up on my part. I have two bike jacks here, and neither one is HF. I got one from Costco - heavy, heavy steel sucker, that one is. I got the other from our Canadian Tire Store, and it is aluminum, and so is a whole lot easier to transport. I have been looking everywhere for the brand name of this aluminum one. I finally found one like it here:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professi ... ockType=G1

The outside arms on mine are heavier and angle shaped.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:34 am

Here is my jack. I love it, and it is very heavy. I don't transport it much, unless I have someone help me lift it. It came with two straps, but I use four. There are four eyes you can attach to for great stability. It has locking screws to stabilize it to the floor, and the handle can come out easily so I don't hit my, um, well, goodies on it. :D Petty good deal at $130 I have turned it 180 degrees while the Wing was on it, with no worries. Rear wheels lock too. Wish I made a commission.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/craftsm ... 4AodB0kAWA
Attachments

BigBro

Postby BigBro » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:03 am

That craftsman jack would be mine as well.
If you have the time, they come up on specials every few months and you can find it in the $89 range. Occasionally better than that.
I am a member of Sears' Rewards program and happen to be in there on a day when they were having some kind of appreciate the customer sale.

I was looking at that aluminum framed one and knowing that my temps range from -20 to 110 in Oregon I felt the Steel version would be a safer choice. I have seen aluminum take stress but it usually snaps a lot faster than steel.
I know these are a load and when you add the temperatures it seemed risky to me. Besides I don't transport often.

Their sale that day had the jack priced at $69 and my rewards points let me walk out the door with the steel version with no $$$ out of my pocket.

I have been happy every since.
It raises and lowers very smoothly has locations for 4 tie down straps and that handle is removable.

I really would have preferred a lift table but that is another beast to find a home space for....This still fits underneath my toolbox up to the Jack section.

washandy98664
1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby washandy98664 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Look online right now or fairly soon. ( 03/02/2013 )
That Sears Jack is on sale for $107, shipping free to your local store for pickup!!!
Not advertising for them just trying to be helpful.
Regards.

tunaboy

Postby tunaboy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Went to harbor,Sears and the farm store. The steel model from sears are not clones but in a side by side I would take the HF. I am a tool&die maker and think you should at both and make the call. Same for the Sears aluminum one check out the one from HF. HF also has a hi-lift model. Looks pretty heavy duty and lifts the bike about 30". Anybody have one? About $190 but looks like another possible option.

nhegge
Motorcycle: 1982 ASPENCADE
1978 GL1000
1987 Rebel
1981 CM 400

Postby nhegge » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:21 pm

If yer talkin about the one that resembles a forklift I own one . Just remember that there are only two (2) supported lift levels , and if ya don't want ta blow seals those are the heights ya work at cause that's where the lock pin takes the weight an not the pump . My 82's been up an down a few times no problem , jus strap 'er on an go . Read the comments on HF website and you'll get an idea of what to expect . In particular READ the part 'bout not leaving the bike up on pump instead of lock pin . Still use the little jack from HF just needed a taller lift as the older I get the harder it is ta climb back up off the floor o' the garage . ;)
Be Nice 'til it's time to be Not Nice

tunaboy

Postby tunaboy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:10 pm

I looked at the hi lift jack that the guy above is talking about. $190 but it looks pretty sturdy and you can get the bike up like 30". I am seriously thinking this may be the way to go rather than the small one with wheels.

nhegge
Motorcycle: 1982 ASPENCADE
1978 GL1000
1987 Rebel
1981 CM 400

Postby nhegge » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Just remember ta read the comment section on HF's website . Ran 'er up an down a few times w/o straps jus' fer grins . Strap 'er on if I'm gonna do anything :shock: . Yes I'm talkin 'bout my bike ;) .

Be Nice 'til it's time to be Not Nice

Return to “Goldwing Chat”