Passenger Rules

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
1CheeseLouise
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Passenger Rules

Postby 1CheeseLouise » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 pm

I don't usually take passengers, and that includes family. However, my Friend Robbie requested a ride. My usual instruction was to sit in line with the bike and mimic a strapped down package. For him this was not sufficient. Because while I was holding the bike upright, he puts one foot on the passenger floor board and proceeded to center his entire 200+ pound weight there while trying to raise his other leg over the seat. For a moment I thought I was going to drop the bike from the imbalance. (I weigh 155 lbs.) Later, for dismounting and remounting I had to issue special directives: Put one foot on the ground close to the bike; Raise the other foot over the seat and put it on the ground; and a similar mounting instruction - so as not to give me a hernia.
I always assumed a passenger new to my bike didn't know what to do. But I never realized all the bad things that one could do back there. Can any of you alert me to other problems to warn about?

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Re: Passenger Rules

Postby squirrel » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:41 pm

i always get the passenger on first with bike on sidestand but most importantly to tell them to relax and lean with the machine

WVJefo
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade "The 12"
1994 1500 Aspencade "The Black

Postby WVJefo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:59 am

I have a few simple rules for the passengers. They get briefed before they climb on. And climb on they do as my 1500 is a little big for most to just toss a leg over.

0 only female passengers except in absolute emergency. Not really a rule more like a fact of life
1 get on & off when I say. BOTH MY FEET on the ground. Bike is started, warmed up, side stand up, ready to go.
2 lean with me
3 wave at other bikes & cops out of their cars.
4 I get a kiss at end of ride. except in absolute emergency.

These rules work & keep the passenger happy & healthy.
For Example

The 0 Law only females. This generally keeps the weight to a managable level. Also get to feel female boobs against your back. Of course, married or otherwise commited owners can have only THE ONE female on the back. except in absolute emergency.

Rule 1. helps keep the rubber side down.
Rule 2. see rule 1 But also encourages holding on to my waist. This helps with female boobs against your back.
Rule 3. Keeps the passenger involved & entertained.
Rule 4. Do I really need to explain rule 4?? except in absolute emergency

Lastly, not really a rule but another fact of life. Everyone else will believe the person on the back of your bike is your sigificant other. Ride accordingly.

Jeff

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 am

I remember when I took my wife for her first ride when we were dating, forgot to tell her to move with me and our first turn as I tilted the bike over for the turn she sat straight up....and the bike went straight. I was driving a vtwin at the time.

I pulled it over, leaned back a little, and said "I know you do not know me too well, but you must learn to move with me, so arms around my waiste and move with me". She thought I was kidding until I said she must do it.....we move really good together now ;)

For my son (he is 6 ft, 200 lbs and has Autism), I told him to hold on to the driver seat of my wing, that did not work too well, so I told him to hold my shoulders, that worked great. He actually handled the turns really well. The "getting on and off" the bike, I started the bike, kept in neutral, used front break, and leaned in to him a little as he got on....he used the passenger boards to get on, with a little help from my wife to teach him how....worked ok.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:22 am

No rules but procedures for sure,,I rarely give rides to anyone..But when I do I stand up and hold the bike up and have one of my girls jump on the back, I am in total control the whole time, I usually hold the front brake on while they are getting on.. Now if it's a whopper rider :shock: I usually say to myself oh man, what in the World.. :shock: :lol:

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 pm

WVJefo wrote:0 only female passengers except in absolute emergency. Not really a rule more like a fact of life
1 get on & off when I say. BOTH MY FEET on the ground. Bike is started, warmed up, side stand up, ready to go.
2 lean with me

I assume you only invoke rule 4 when rule 0 has been observed?? :oops: :D

Gary

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:26 pm

thrasherg wrote:
WVJefo wrote:0 only female passengers except in absolute emergency. Not really a rule more like a fact of life
2 lean with me

I assume you only invoke rule 4 when rule 0 has been observed?? :oops: :D

Gary

lol

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Having a sidecar I don't have to worry about a sudden increase in weight on one side or the other so I have two instructions,
Don't kick the paintwork.
Don't kick me.

Sid

LloydB
Motorcycle: 08 GL1800 ABS/Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper
1995 GL1500SE with a Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

Postby LloydB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:41 pm

I too have a sidecar so no problems now, when I was on two wheels, I started the bike held it upright, told the passenger when I was ready and had them climb on using the passenger peg, while leaving the side stand down just in case. While riding I had two rules, when I am turning left look over my left shoulder, turning right over the right shoulder. And never ever try to put your foot down, not a good thing when the rider tries to put a foot down and the passenger's foot is in the way, had that happen once, resulted in a dropped bike.
Lloyd and Judy
Comfort, Tx.
08 GL1800 ABS with a Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:56 pm

I have three rules for a passenger:
1. Wait until I tell you to get on or off;
2. Keep your butt on the seat at all times;
2.1 Keep you feet on the pegs at all times; and,
3. Dont fidget or shift your weight around, especially going around corners.

Of course they also have to be suitably dressed, with proper helmet, gloves, footwear, and the body is warm enough. Most people do not dress well for riding, and then wonder why they get cold.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:12 pm

When I first started riding I didn't give it much thought about telling passengers instructions, but one time a girl wanted a ride, we made it to the first corner, I turned left, she almost climbed out the right side of the bike, we ended up in th front yard of somebody that thankfully didn't have a lot of yard ornaments. I said what the@ are you doing? She said I thought the bike was going to fall over. So we both got educated.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Don't forget the part about looking pretty and taking pictures. ....When the wife and I get home she is usually telling me about things she has seen on the ride. So I ask did you take a picture and the usual reply is no I was to busy looking around, or the camera was in the side pouch :lol:

BigDee
Motorcycle: Former Rides:
1962 Honda CB90
1974 Yamaha 500 Basket case
1971 Honda 450
Current Ride:
1981 GL1100i Interstate

Postby BigDee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Still working on getting the xyl to ride with me. She says it has to be in the 80's before she'll go. What's the fun in that????
He who throws dirt loses ground!

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:35 pm

My technique for the wife to get on the bike is this.
Bike is off
I am on the bike standing up feet flat on the ground.
front brake applied
Side stand down (just another safety feature if you lose balance of the bike as she gets on)

The kick stand down has helped us twice when my foot lost it's footing due to loose gravel....

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:16 pm

bjatwood wrote:My technique for the wife to get on the bike is this.
Bike is off
I am on the bike standing up feet flat on the ground.
front brake applied
Side stand down (just another safety feature if you lose balance of the bike as she gets on)

The kick stand down has helped us twice when my foot lost it's footing due to loose gravel....

That, my friend, is a good idea. I will incorporate that immediately. I thought I knew everything before. Now I'm sure of it.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:24 pm

For me, I had only one incidence with a passenger that I had not planned on. My fault, gave a drunk a ride home from the bar while I was just about as drunk. What I didn't know is he had never been on a bike. We were fine for the first mile, then came a turn in the road that was near 90 degrees, I slowed to about 25 and leaned into it. He thought we were going over and launched himself off the back of the bike. Losing about 175 bs while leaned at a 45 deg angle turning a 90 deg turn needless to say caused some minor problems. I laid it down and slid into a hollowblock wall. Fortunately the bike hit the wall tires first. I used my head...Split my helmet nearly in half..Needless to say I had a sore neck. By the time I got up I couldn't find my friend. I gave up looking, went home cleaned up a bit and headed back to the bar. There he sat with more road rash than the law allows. I was gonna kill him but they wouldn't let me. I think that was the last male that ever sat as a passenger. Moe women than I can count later, I have accquired the present wife. It took me a year and many rides to convience her that she did not need to lean out as far as she could and look to see what was in front of the front wheel every single time i came to a stop. I finely got her to quit looking. Guess she figured out the pavement in front of the wheel was the same as the rest of the pavement around the bike....No problems since then.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”