Progress

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Progress

Postby wjnfirearms » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:18 am

The Vetter luggage lids are ready for paint...finally. And the carbs are back and installed. The guy that rebuilt them for me is supposed to be back tonight to help me with synchronizing them and getting it running again. The wiring is complete for the Windjammer. The Cycle Sound is all together after I had to modify it to accept a modern CD player along with new speakers. Thank God for Dremel! All that's left is to install the luggage brackets and finish the fairing paint prep and get them all painted and installed. I still have to install the new LED turn signals on the bags. Those are the red lights sitting off to the side of the lids. The new seat is waiting to be installed also.

Time has been at a premium all winter and I'm anxious to get the GL finished and start enjoying it.

Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Progress

Postby bustedwing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:13 am

At least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think it will be a nice looking bike and with the updates will serve you even better. Keep up the good work.
Proud member Patriot Guard

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:36 am

Well, the rebuilder finally came up to sync the carbs. Things didn't pan out as planned, though. They weren't operating correctly and still dumped fuel. He was stumped. The new floats were adjusted to factory spec supposedly along with everything else. Also, the gasket between the sides of the split center chamber started leaking gas. He thought it didn't need replacing. I wasn't too happy. He took them back with him to resolve the problems. He swears he knows what he is doing. I am starting to run out of patience, though.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 am

After I service a carb assembly,I always fill the carbs on the bench with gas using a fuel pump(2.5 psi)Just to test for leaks and sticking floats,then measure the fuel in each carb to see if they are the same(float level).
After draining the carbs,I use a shop vac to verify the slide movement.I had one sticking after the service.
Final step is to mechanically adjust the throttle valves so they open at the exact same time(close as possible) .
This gets the sync close and ready for a final touch up when put back on the bike.

It takes so much time to get them on and off,I decided to test everything I could before I put them back on the engine.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 pm

virgilmobile wrote:After I service a carb assembly,I always fill the carbs on the bench with gas using a fuel pump(2.5 psi)Just to test for leaks and sticking floats,then measure the fuel in each carb to see if they are the same(float level).
After draining the carbs,I use a shop vac to verify the slide movement.I had one sticking after the service.
Final step is to mechanically adjust the throttle valves so they open at the exact same time(close as possible) .
This gets the sync close and ready for a final touch up when put back on the bike.

It takes so much time to get them on and off,I decided to test everything I could before I put them back on the engine.

I made myself a big note of this for when I get to the carbs for rebuild..Always find good tips on this site...

Return to “Goldwing Chat”