What a day

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

What a day

Postby Possum51 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:56 pm

I watched the "how to" on replacing the rear tire on my GL1200 and was pretty sure I had it down pat. Well then Mr. Murphy showed up with them laws of his and it went south in a hurry, nothing too serious but enough to make for a long day. Rust everywhere, drained the final drive and got less than a ounce of gear oil. Cleaned it up and refilled with 75w90 full synth. brake caliper slider pins all rusted, caliper pistons all crudded up etc etc. Got R Done, but whew I'm pooped :lol: :shock: I did luck out (I hope) and won a new in the box set of progressive coil over rear shocks off ebay for only $155.00

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Re: What a day

Postby twostrokes48 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:11 am

I fear I may have much of the same thing when I get that far in the tear down of my 75 I'm rebuilding. That's why I am normally one to follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it rule...cuz you never know what you will find. Of course in your case, looks like you may have saved yourself from more serious damage with the oil thing, and maybe your life with the brake issue. So all in all, guess it is a good thing. You found it befoe it was too late. Now you can ride feeling good about your bike.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:31 am

twostrokes48 wrote:I fear I may have much of the same thing when I get that far in the tear down of my 75 I'm rebuilding. That's why I am normally one to follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it rule...cuz you never know what you will find. Of course in your case, looks like you may have saved yourself from more serious damage with the oil thing, and maybe your life with the brake issue. So all in all, guess it is a good thing. You found it befoe it was too late. Now you can ride feeling good about your bike.

Yep, kind of along the lines I was thinking too. It was a pain, but now I know its right and I don't have to guess or worry about it. I just think its sad that someone would let a nice ride like this get in that shape. The guy I got it off of didn't have it but about a month so I know it wasn't him, but one or more of the PO's before him. But its fixed now and getting warmer every day :D :mrgreen:

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:29 am

I got to find out about the condition of my brakes when they locked up in the driveway and I couldn't move it. Lucky it happened there and not on the road. Still I would have preferred finding the issue first before being grounded. I don't think the fluid had ever been changed as it was black like a Coke and there was silt in the plastic reservoir bottle. Took a week to get right mostly waiting for parts and coming up with an effective way to get those pistons out of the caliper. Compressed air wasn't enough!

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55 pm

wilmo wrote:I got to find out about the condition of my brakes when they locked up in the driveway and I couldn't move it. Lucky it happened there and not on the road. Still I would have preferred finding the issue first before being grounded. I don't think the fluid had ever been changed as it was black like a Coke and there was silt in the plastic reservoir bottle. Took a week to get right mostly waiting for parts and coming up with an effective way to get those pistons out of the caliper. Compressed air wasn't enough!

have you tried praying them down with PB Blaster and letting them sit overnight?

BigDee
Motorcycle: Former Rides:
1962 Honda CB90
1974 Yamaha 500 Basket case
1971 Honda 450
Current Ride:
1981 GL1100i Interstate

Postby BigDee » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Possum51 wrote:have you tried praying them down with PB Blaster and letting them sit overnight?

I've prayed over my bike before, but never with PB Blaster! :?
He who throws dirt loses ground!

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:04 pm

nahh a little heat with some persuasion from a plastic mallet did the trick. heat the caliper a little, apply compressed air and whack it with a mallet. Sticky piston came right out.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:38 pm

:lol: "Spraying"
BigDee wrote:
Possum51 wrote:have you tried praying them down with PB Blaster and letting them sit overnight?

I've prayed over my bike before, but never with PB Blaster! :?

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 pm

wilmo wrote:nahh a little heat with some persuasion from a plastic mallet did the trick. heat the caliper a little, apply compressed air and whack it with a mallet. Sticky piston came right out.

While the caliper is still attached to the brake hose just remove the pads and then pump the brakes.Even if the pistons are pretty tight there should be enough hydraulic press to push them out.
One other thing you might want to be concerned about is where your rear end fluid went to.One of the seals must be leaking.My guess is that if you can't see any leaks then it could be the pinion seal leaking into the swingarn where it might not be seen.JMHO.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Fatwing Chris wrote:
wilmo wrote:nahh a little heat with some persuasion from a plastic mallet did the trick. heat the caliper a little, apply compressed air and whack it with a mallet. Sticky piston came right out.

While the caliper is still attached to the brake hose just remove the pads and then pump the brakes.Even if the pistons are pretty tight there should be enough hydraulic press to push them out.
One other thing you might want to be concerned about is where your rear end fluid went to.One of the seals must be leaking.My guess is that if you can't see any leaks then it could be the pinion seal leaking into the swingarn where it might not be seen.JMHO.

Thought about that too, checked swing arm and its dry inside and didn't see any other seal leaking, from the blackness of the oil that did drain out, who knows when the last time it was checked or changed. Keeping an eye on it.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Well, ran into the same problem with my rear caliper today, used your method to finally get the stuck piston out, but both cylinders are pitted real bad, so found one online I think (fingers crossed) is in good shape and ordered a rebuild kit also. :cry:
Rick.....

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:46 pm

One things for sure, after I "fix" all the stuff on this bike thats been neglected for years, I'll be a fair GL1200 mechanic :lol:

Rick.....

Return to “Goldwing Chat”