Might be Going from Auto Parts Guru to MC Parts Guru

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Might be Going from Auto Parts Guru to MC Parts Guru

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:06 am

Wish me luck, bros. Having a second interview today for a job as parts manager for a local bike shop and store. It's a pretty big operation with a lot of inventory new and used (www.cyclewarehouse.com). They sell used bikes, also. The shop caters mainly to the H-D set, but does sell some universal things, metric stuff and leather and plans to expand this part of the business. I applied for this job months ago after I was basically asked to by the floor manager that I met when their parts guy passed away from cancer after being there for 10 years. Aside from winter causing a drop in sales, which is normal, and the emotional thing with Fergie passing after being there for so long, the job sat idle for quite a while and things have piled up badly.

I stopped in yesterday to look into some new chrome acorn nuts for the GL on my way to work and ended up having a first interview. Didn't expect that one at all! I have to meet with the business partner today for what Bill, the floor manager, believes is just the technicality of ironing out final details. Bill really pushed for me to get hired for my parts experience and we seemed to click. I owe him a big one for this.

Too often, things have gone sideways for me especially as of late. I tend any more not to get too excited about much. Still, I haven't felt this good for a while now and am excited. I hardly slept last night out of anticipation. The job and I popped a shoplifter last night at work. Bi**h bought brake pads but stole a twin pack of 9007 headlight bulbs. She copped out to the local police after they caught up with her. We're NOT allowed to apprehend shoplifters ourselves. Auto Zone corporate policy. :x She is awaiting a hearing on another retail theft charge already. Serious white trash. So, I was up another notch when I tried to get some sleep last night.

Soooooo, I could use some good Karma for a change, brothers. I'll let y'all know how this plays out. Meeting at 11:00 this a.m.

Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Might be Going from Auto Parts Guru to MC Parts Guru

Postby dingdong » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:10 am

Sending all of my extra good karma your direction. Good luck to you!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 am

Have some super good luck wishes - on me. Hope you get it, and hope it is what you need. Everyone should get to do a job they like. It makes life so much better.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:24 am

Here's hoping everything falls into place for you!! Good luck.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:26 am

Oh, I would have fun working in a cycle shop.....good luck good luck good luck!

amsoilguy
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby amsoilguy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 am

Good luck and let us know the outcome...
Allan

'88 GL1500

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:47 am

seriously good luck and good kama from.over the pond let us know when you get the job

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm

I hope the news is good today and the future looks better for you. Keep us updated.
Proud member Patriot Guard

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:58 pm

Well, 11:00 came and went. And.......

I GOT THE JOB !!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I already gave my two weeks notice and worked out a few days of R&R in between. Starting 10:00 on April 8th.

I'll be helping manage the parts & accessories department along with selling stuff and bikes. Yes, I'll be selling used bikes. They are in the process of planning changes to the business model and I am supposed to be an integral part of the changes.

Here's where it got really interesting. They plan to start attending bike nights at select places that are established and have excellent attendance to set up and hand out fliers, etc. Also, we will be doing swap meets and other MC events on behalf of the shop. I was already told that I would be supplied bikes to take to some of these. Likely ones for sale, but like I care!!! If I don't take my Wing, I can ride one of theirs. There are some sweet rides for sale. yeah, mostly Harleys, but again, who cares!!?? I would also be paid for doing swap meets and going to events distant to Butler along with a paid room.

Hey, guys...thanks so much for all the good Karma and wishes. I'm quite sure it made a difference.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Congratulations - what more could be said... :D
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Hmmmm!!!! let see....get paid to go to MC swapmeets...get paid to go to rallies...get aid to go to bike night locally...get paid to test ride all the different bikes for sale.....Sounds like you are going to really hate to go to work....and you have to let them pay you per diem for your travel and lodging.....I sure wish you luck on this really rough assignment...May the gods continue to be with you. Karma says what goes around, comes around....guess your good karma just have a long loop to travel to get back to you....Now about those parts I ordered....

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:48 pm

Congrats on landing a job. :D
I'm job hunting and hope to land a job soon. I keep sending resumes and hope for the best.
My problem is not everyone needs a trike builder/Goldwing tech. :(
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Not everyone needs an accountant cuz we deliver the "good news of you can not afford to do that" and then you do it anyway....but I got 3 calls from head hunters for jobs, damn I love Fridays. Congrats on the new job, I want access to a tshirt!!! (yes, I will pay, I just want clothing, lol)

Good job good job, good job!!!!

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Well congratulations for sure. It sounds like you will definitely enjoy your work and that is a huge step. When you get up every morning and dread going to work it makes a long day, but when you enjoy your work the day flys right on by. I wish you all the luck in your new job.
Proud member Patriot Guard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:17 am

That sounds like a pretty awesome job to me! Congratulations!!!

oldnco
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby oldnco » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Congratulations WJN! Can hardly believe they pay you too!!!!! Really happy for ya!

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks, all.

I posted the wrong URL for our site originally. It's www.cyclewarehouseonline.com.

bykerbiker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby bykerbiker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:23 am

It is great to hear someone has landed his dream job , wishing you the very best in your new job. regards Bykerbiker

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Well done, WJN! If you have to work, then you should be doing something that you enjoy and will exploit your special skills. Does this mean that you get to ride all of those rides, even when the "snow is deep and thick and even"? But I am sure that you will make the most of the opportunity, and enjoy getting up to go to work - whatever the weather. I bet the smile is still strong.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:52 am

Well, redial....that looks to be the case. :mrgreen: I was told by one of the two main bosses that I can take one of the bikes for sale to any event we attend if I choose. Decisions, decisions.

Trike lady, keep at it. Something will break. I'm confident of that.

I went back to the shop on Tuesday to finalize everything and fill out the tax paperwork and contact info, etc. Had another talk with Tim, one of the bosses who interviewed me first. It turned more interesting than previously. Turns out, and I had a feel for this from the beginning from what was said, that there is a push to change how they do things as a business. The attitudes have been a bit too lackadaisical amongst the employees in day to day stuff and it's been hurting the bottom line. They don't want to turn it into what I'm leaving, a place of business that is so worried about making money that people don't want to work there because of the pressure and lack of concern toward the employees. Still, for a business to be an ongoing success, especially today, you have to run it as a taut ship to at least some degree. That is to change starting now and from what I'm being told, I am figuring into the master plan by setting an example of my work ethic and management skills. I have no intentions of coming in as the "new guy" and pissing everyone off and I've been clear about that. Still, they are hoping I'll be a breath of fresh air for the business. The conversation went even more interesting when I was told that there are full intentions of grooming me to eventually help run the shop for the owners. This caught me by complete surprise. Tim also told me that he wants to teach me what he primarily does which is brokering MC sales nationwide. That would be cool.

As this shop has always geared itself mainly to the H-D set, they want to lure more metric types, like everyone here, to the shop now. This is part of where I figure in also as my knowledge base and expertise is primarily metric. It's just plain good business. I'll be learning the Harley stuff as it's not only necessary but it's something I want to do.

After having too many times that smoke has been blown up my butt regarding jobs, finally one has come to roost that looks like it will be a great opportunity for a change.

Oh, I just ordered these. Got a good introductory deal from Staples online for business cards. I better! we spend enough money there.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:39 am

I was told by one of the two main bosses that I can take one of the bikes for sale to any event we attend if I choose. Decisions, decisions.

What a problem to have! I hope that you can learn to make decisions, apart from should I go round the block to the left, or the right?

I wish you well, and trust that your smokey butt days are long gone, and things just keep driving that smile wider and wider.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”