getting comfortable

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
jonnypar
Motorcycle: 2007 Black Cherry Goldwing 1800

getting comfortable

Postby jonnypar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:42 pm

I've had my GW for a little less than a month now. I have to admit that i was intimidated at first but now I'm feeling much more secure in the saddle. Lots of time spent in an empty parking lot doing slow sharp corners and lots of figure 8's. I still have more work to do but I feel much better now.

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: getting comfortable

Postby Mag » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:43 am

Fantastic....just keep practicing. I do tight turns as soon as I get out of my driveway (I live on a small court) so that I can work my "training" in. Amazing how balanced the bikes are now, a lot easier to handle, even as big as they are.

Enjoy the ride, and keep moving!

jonnypar
Motorcycle: 2007 Black Cherry Goldwing 1800

Postby jonnypar » Thu May 02, 2013 3:47 pm

I was beginning to think that I had forgotten how to ride a motorcycle because it was taking me so long to get used to tight, slow corners on my new Wing. Now that I have had my handlebars moved up a tad, nearer to me and closer to center it all makes sense. My arms were almost totally extended with my old set up and everything was "extreme" feeling. Now things feel much more natural and flowing. I just had to sit on a friends Wing and I noticed the difference immediately.
Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Thu May 02, 2013 4:18 pm

When I leave my house on the bike, I get practice on a gravel driveway (so to get my steady balance working), and I live on a court, so I turn down to the bottom of the court and do a couple circles just to get used to it. Even though I am riding more and more, it is starting to become a habit. The neighbor even stopped me asking me why I do this. I told him consider it a "warm up". He is just amazed how big the bike is 8-) I would say keep finding places to practice, and like what others said, once you feel comfy on it, try a class, this will really give you a good foundation and to get to know your wing even more.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”