Found an Honest Mechanice in Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
galexander123
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Found an Honest Mechanice in Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Postby galexander123 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Having just acquired my first Goldwing, a 1996 Aspencade, from a dealer in Dallas, Texas. I wanted to have it checked out before riding season starts up in full force. I took my bike to Hwy. 77 Cycles, 110 N. Highway 77, Waxahachie, Texas 75165, Phone #972-937-0972, http://www.hwy77cycles.com. Mark the mechanic checked the bike over and could not find anything wrong with the bike. He stated that the oil was fresh and new, the coolant was good, the bike had a new battery, the air filter was in like new condition. When I went to pick up the bike this evening, he stated that I did not owe him any money, just come back when I need something repaired. So I just want to pass on to everyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex that there is a good honest mechanic in the area if your ever a need for one.

Glenn

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Found an Honest Mechanice in Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:11 am

I love how the general consensus with about 98% of the population is that all mechanics are crooks.I've been a fully licensed Auto-Tech for approx. 30 years(15 years at a large GM Dealer) and I'm here to tell you that I've never told a customer anything that was not truethful to the best of my knowledge.Nor have I charged them for anything I have not done.Glad to see you found someone you trust.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Fatwing Chris wrote:I love how the general consensus with about 98% of the population is that all mechanics are crooks.I've been a fully licensed Auto-Tech for approx. 30 years(15 years at a large GM Dealer) and I'm here to tell you that I've never told a customer anything that was not truethful to the best of my knowledge.Nor have I charged them for anything I have not done.Glad to see you found someone you trust.

I'm glad that you're an honest mechanic, and I have come across quite a few of them, but in my life I have been outright lied to by several mechanics. My wife, who is small and cute and apparently looks like an easy mark, is continually taken advantage of by (dealership) garages. She knows enough to call me whenever they give her a list of whatever her car needs before anything is done. There is a local Buick dealer that her Buick goes to for its free oil changes and tire rotations, and once that free service is up, I will NEVER set foot back in that place for any reason - specifically because TWICE the mechanics there have told her that her car needed things that I had JUST finished doing on it. Ridiculous.

Dayta
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Interstate

Postby Dayta » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 pm

I take my bike to American Wings http://www.motorcyclerepairmichigan.com , here in my area. My mechanic Rob is the best. He tells it like it is and also don't charge for check ups and minor things. I just got my bike back from its pre-season checkup. Just waiting for the weather to break. I agree that good honest mechanics are hard to find.

Dayta
Dayta
GWRRA #360830

felon
Motorcycle: 2004 gl1800 goldwing

Postby felon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:56 am

In the Tucson, Az. area call C & R Cycles. 520-326-0648. Roger is a stand up guy. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Add them into the Vendors Database so others can find them!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:22 am

You should keep his number on speed dial...
Last edited by littlebeaver on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:25 am

It's a whole lot easier to just tell the truth than to try an make up a freakin lie,,,I hate liars and Cheats, I just can't stand them and BS artist to rip you off are the worst.. I didn't like them when I was a little boy and I still don't like them now....It's great you found yourself a good mechanic that you trust... I find it odd he didn't charge you the minumum price though, his time should be his money, it takes time to check the battery water level, brake fluids, brake pads, and go thru all the lights and brake lights ect. and fuses so he did all of that for free....Ummmmm... air pressures too... Pretty good deal I would say...I would have given him some money....You can't run a business like that and make it..I would have charged half the minumum fee at least...Or have him buy me lunch....A neighbor friend helped me check my timing in our old sunbird years ago and I learned he enjoyed a fish place called Captain D's, he liked the salmon they had there, I went down and bought him a salmon dinner and a ice tea with lemon in it...for his time...Something he will never forget as long as he lives..Hey it only cost me like $8.00.. :shock: that's the least I could do.. :shock: Should have seen his face.. :lol: Once a guy helped me out by letting me use a gas can so I can make it to the station, bought the shop a twelve pack of cokes and took it back to them.. :D so what I'm saying is, buy him something, and take it to him, perhaps your favorite food.. Hey dudes love that kinda stuff...women fall over with delight.. :shock:

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Fatwing Chris wrote:I love how the general consensus with about 98% of the population is that all mechanics are crooks.I've been a fully licensed Auto-Tech for approx. 30 years(15 years at a large GM Dealer) and I'm here to tell you that I've never told a customer anything that was not truethful to the best of my knowledge.Nor have I charged them for anything I have not done.Glad to see you found someone you trust.

I'm glad that you're an honest mechanic, and I have come across quite a few of them, but in my life I have been outright lied to by several mechanics. My wife, who is small and cute and apparently looks like an easy mark, is continually taken advantage of by (dealership) garages. She knows enough to call me whenever they give her a list of whatever her car needs before anything is done. There is a local Buick dealer that her Buick goes to for its free oil changes and tire rotations, and once that free service is up, I will NEVER set foot back in that place for any reason - specifically because TWICE the mechanics there have told her that her car needed things that I had JUST finished doing on it. Ridiculous.

The problem with most places(especially Dealerships)is the flat rate system which is actually piece work.You get paid by the job and not by the hour,which meens that if there is no car in your bay you are not getting paid.Dealerships offer free stuff to get you in the door so they can try and upsell work.The techs sometimes don't get paid for the free stuff and they always have more techs than they have work for because they don't have to pay them if they're standing around.Most of the work at dealerships is warr. and GM,Ford etc.. pay the techs next to nothing to do warr.So the tech could be getting $20 an hour on paper,but if he takes twice as long as what GM says it should take then the tech is actually making $10 per hour.Some jobs just can't be done in the alotted time no matter how good you are.So if the guy has had an empty bay for half the day already in a slow shop when something does come in he is definitely going to try and sell you something.Not saying it is right,but he's just trying to make a living and feed his kids.The best way to avoid this is to find a shop that isn't flat rate(almost impossible) where the tech is getting paid whether he is working on your car or sweeping the floor.The other thing is that you could be paying $100 an hour,but that doesn't meen that the tech gets anywhere near that.Probably closer to $25 trueth be know.The real kicker is that the people building these cars make more money than the guys fixing them.We fix their f*ckups for half the money that they get to screw it up in the first place.Pinched wiring is a prime example.There's miles of wire in cars these days and generally buried pretty good.How much training to work on the line in a factory compared to the training to be a Tech?5 year apprenticeship and 6 mon. of school(not to mention all the GM courses in that time)to get a ticket here in Ontario.You can't just have tools and call yourself a tech.Sorry for the rant.Being a Tech IMHO is the worst trade out there as far as pay and the most unappreciated at the best of times.Best bet for a Tech is to have his own shop,but it has it's headaches also.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:58 am

Wow, now that's something to think about there...Perspective from a tech,,, well written... I totally agree that guys should own their own shop...I wanta know the guy working on my vehicle is getting paid for his work...Not the fat cats at the top.. :D

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:19 pm

The only problem with owning your own shop is first you have to buy about 80,000 worth of equipment. Then all the computer stuff you have to buy a few thousand dollars worth of updates, then there is all the "speciality" tools. Then you have the EPA down your throat telling you all the things you can't do....then if you have an employee or three, you have all the insurance you have to carry on them, then there is rent, commerical utilities (double residental price), proper disposal fees, and on and on and on.....I have had a number of friends including my mechanic that just closed his shop a few months ago....because the costs were killing him. He ran his rates all the way up to $70.00 per hour and had business, but could net more working for a big transmission shop, so he closed....he has 5 kids age 5 to 18 to take care of.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Well, that's true too, someone has a dream and sometimes it just doesn't pan out...It would cost a lot of money to start one.... I feel bad for your mechanic friend.... :shock: But at least he will have a regular check now..From those fat cats at the top...ha ha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Wow, now that's something to think about there...Perspective from a tech,,, well written... I totally agree that guys should own their own shop...I wanta know the guy working on my vehicle is getting paid for his work...Not the fat cats at the top.. :D

When I was at the dealer I was able to cover my time(if I was there 40 hours I made at least 40 hours)but back then we were pretty busy.At that time I was doing work on the side at home as well.I was the tranny guy in our shop.So I get this guy that I don't know show up at my house wanting me to rebuild his tranny and wanting a quote,so I tell him it's parts and $30 an hour.He gets all huffy and says I'm not paying you $30 an hour at home.So I say bring it to the dealer and pay him $100 an hour +parts and I'll be the guy working on it.He never came back,but most of the people that I did work for knew they were getting a deal and were happy to get it.

BTW I never had any intention of making a living at being a mechanic, it was just something I was good at and I needed a job.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Man Chris, that guy was way out of line, 30 per hour is really a great price for a professional tranny guy,,I wish you lived by me, I'd give you $50.00 an hour just because.... What was his problem... :shock:

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:12 am

littlebeaver wrote:Man Chris, that guy was way out of line, 30 per hour is really a great price for a professional tranny guy,,I wish you lived by me, I'd give you $50.00 an hour just because.... What was his problem... :shock:

Most of the people I worked for at home were family or friends and they were more than happy to have me do it.More work than I could actually handle at the time.This guy I never laid eyes on before or after that,which didn't hurt my feeling.Don't know what he really needed,but he asked about a rebuild.You gotta remember that this was back in the 90's that all this was going on.I did about 10 months at a Toyota Dealership after 15 years at GM and I've been a tech for the Ontario gov. for the last 12 years as of this June.
BTW I would estimate that warr. work was approx. 80% of my work at GM and less than 10% at Toyota.Needless to say it was easier to make a decent living at Toyota.Went to the gov. for the pension.Wish I would'a been where I am now 20 years earlier.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.Just kind of a touchy suject for me.

Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Return to “Goldwing Chat”