I'm only going to tell you this once

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

I'm only going to tell you this once

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:50 am

Use PB Blaster on nuts and bolts that look stubburn or even if they don't, this stuff has made a true believer out of me for sure, I did my brakes all around on our 02 Bonneville today and my gosh that stuff works wonders..So what is your favorite lube or nut/bolt breaker? What do you like the best..??? I'm curious...I really would like you to post you're opinion....Maybe I will give it a try.. :shock: I did all the brakes and changed out the rear struts as well, Fella's the vehicle feels like a new automobile, I was thinking of changing the front too....A little spray of PB and that bolt/nut justa spins like nothing.. :D Oh I got a listen in rear brake cylinders for this model to, I'm trying to pry back the piston by hand using a c clamp and that suck would not budge,,,I had to get the manual out and put my glasses on gosh darn it,, wel the manual says you screw the piston back in :shock: :shock: :shock: , What ....That's what it says use a set of needlenose pliers and turn the piston in, No wonder that stupid thing would press in....I did not know this until I read my manual...gosh darn it,,hey everything when smoothly after that... :lol: Seriously the car feels like new, it's amazing what new struts will do for your vehicle...And brakes,rotors..bearings... :shock: I know I saved a boatload of money doing this myself and I know every bolt is tighten and that someone else didn't use an impact on my aluminum wheels, I hate when they do that..... :shock:

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: I'm only going to tell you this once

Postby redial » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:46 am

Good on you, LittleBeaver. The joy of achievement is always better than a hole in your pocket :roll:

You are obviously getting ready to move to the cold country, but there must be worse things than being cold - but I cant think of any offhand.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:00 am

Well, Mississippi isn't that cool a place, we lived in Montgomery Al. in 92 and it's only 150 miles from there or so....Miss... is really humid and hot most of the time.. Mesquitoes can carry you away there I hear.. :shock: I had a fight with one the other day...It ended in a bloody mess...But I won that battle..Stupid mesquito, how dare them come and draw blood from the Beave..Who do they think they are ???

Doug B.
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda GL1500SE with DFT Trike kit
1998 HondaGL1500SE
1995 Honda GL1500I
1984 Honda VF700 Magna
1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore
1970 Honda CT70HKO (4 speed)

Postby Doug B. » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:59 am

Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Best rust buster I have used.
"The only problem with 'common sense' is that it is not all that common." Charles Kuralt

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:30 am

Beave, many GM vehicles have rotating caliper pistons. So do some imports. To make the job easier, there is a square block you can get that you place on the end of a 3/8" drive ratchet and use it to screw back the piston. They are inexpensive and have tabs on all sides to accommodate the pistons of various make vehicles. Nearly every auto parts store that sells tools have them. If you are going to continue doing your own brakes and owning GM vehicles, I'd recommend getting one of these. Using pliers and other tools not made to retract the pistons can damage them by placing uneven pressure on the piston. You likely can break the tool during the process also and hurt yourself aside from having to replace the tool needlessly. From experience, I'm a firm believer in using the right tool for the job if at all possible. For less than 10 bucks, you can have the right one for this job. Of course, you can spend more for a better set of disc brake tools, but you don't have to.

I've been using PB for years. It is one of the best. The only other rust buster I've liked in the past is Kroil made by Kano Laboratories. I bought it once on a whim and didn't regret it. The only reason I haven't used it for a while is that the only place you can get it is directly from them online. Inconvenient when PB is readily available most anywhere.

One solvent I tried and wrote a review here on is Freeze Off made by CRC. It does work and does it's thing by an unusual process for an aerosol, freezing the offending fastener and then cutting the rust. It's sold at Auto Zone and elsewhere CRC products are sold. The only real drawback to this product is that you have to use more of it to get satisfactory results. Other than that, it is a good product also.

I saw a really neat non chemical product in Auto Zone's commercial tool catalog for rusty fasteners. It is electric. It is an inductive heating device that you hold around the fastener and it heats it up to cherry red to help removal. It's hand held and has a round heating element that you place around the nut, bolt, etc. and hit the switch. The heat is kept localized as not to damage nearby bushings, etc. like happens using torches to accomplish the same thing. The real issue is price. It's up near $300! Now, if needing this was part of my day job, I'd be all over this tool. For the occasional rusty nut that us backyard mechanics come up against, it's a bit pricey. Still, being a tool addict as I am (I have two nearly full tool chests to prove it) if I ever see this tool cheaper and have the ready cash (what is that?), I'll likely buy it.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:30 am

Ha ha a tool addict,,, I'm sorta a tool addict too, I never buy a tool that I don't use....I don't like buying anything that can't be used regularly...My wife buys stuff all the time that we may use one time and that's it...I accumulate my tools because I need them for a job, just the other day I bought a cut off tool from HF, cheap $20 tool and 10 blades are cheap too, worked great for my project, I had to cut off some heavy 1/4" steel angle iron and that little bugger did the trick with no issue....If it goes out I'll take it back...But for the little stuff I need to cut it's perfect...I also bought a 1" belt sander for my crafts there, the last one lasted for years...some stuff from HF I simply won't buy, but that is one really fun Mall for the tool guy...Even though they are cheap tools, China mostly, it's cool because we know what to expect, but yet we buy from them anyway...Lot's of stuff just doesn't matter if it's cheap or not.... I make my own tools sometimes, like a circlip set of pliers, those long ones... I made a pair to get the rear circlip out of my drive shaft from the rear, then I just pull the swingarm out the back leaving the one in the front alone...Stuff like that is why I love HF...$5 tool..Oh hey fella's on my post, you can get off topic anytime you want, I just don't mind at all...So what was the last tool you bought from HF? did it last? anyone buy a little cheap arch welder from them? Does it work?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:20 pm

The last thing I purchased from Harbor Freight - 25 years ago - was a huge parts washer. It holds five gallons of solvent and has an electric pump to wash stuff. It is still working like new. Before that, I bought a Slide Hammer puller set, as I only use these rarely. It is still like new also. I have used it maybe five times. One other tool I got from them is a ball joint press for truck ball joints. I have used it a half dozen times and it still works fine. Professional quality tools for these purposes would have cost me a couple grand, but I think I paid way less than $200 for these three things. Some things, like sockets, ratchets, wrenches and screwdrivers, I buy good stuff, but tools that get used so seldom don't need to be high quality. For power tools, I like Milwaukee. Can't beat em with a stick.

You also mentioned building your own tools. I built myself a standing Hydraulic Press, but I didn't just build the press, I built the hydraulic jack that I mounted on it to run it. And I built the Hydraulic jack without power tools, aside from a drill to make the plumbing passages. This press has been working fine for almost twenty years.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:32 pm

See now I would love to see that press...Can you post a photograph of it please... :D

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:32 pm

littlebeaver wrote:See now I would love to see that press...Can you post a photograph of it please... :D

Now, I knew somebody was going to say that, so I started looking through my old pictures. I will have to go take one. There is three feet of melting snow between me and my workshop where the press is, so it ain't a gonna be today.

ImageImage

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Fulcrum » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Well since were kinda on the topic of penetrants and rusty screws and bolts. I have a tool to add to the mix that I just recently used a bunch. Its an impact screwdriver from harbor freight that saved my bacon on the carb disasembly. Those screws just would not come out. I hit them with liquid wrench and PB blaster and let em set for days and they still wouldnt budge. Couple light taps with a hammer on the impact screwdriver and they came right out. No more buggered up heads and they even make a smaller one for the little screws or smaller passages. Definitely one of the best tools if you have a bike that has set like mine for 10 years and everything is seized up. Course I still always hit bolts and screws with penetrant first. Every bit of extra insurance helps.
Attachments
This is the one I have. Seven bucks at harbor freight
This is the one I have. Seven bucks at harbor freight
This is the one I'm getting next. Four bucks at harbor freight
This is the one I'm getting next. Four bucks at harbor freight

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:56 am

Okay Martin, here are your pictures, so Todd can't say "if there ain't no pictures, it didn't happen". I had to photoshop the one with the whole hydraulic press in it so the equipment for my winter activities did not show up too. That just might be too incriminating..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is the Hydraulic Jack I manufactered. As you can see, due to external plumbing, it is slightly too fragile for normal knock around use.

And here is the Press I built to use it, so the plumbing would not get broken, and so I had a use for the jack. The press is about a 12 ton, and essentially cost nothing. The only thing I had to purchase was the return springs. They are for a snow plow.

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”