motorcycle alarm

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

motorcycle alarm

Postby hap2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:40 am

I'm looking for a good but inexpensive (if that combination is possible) alarm for my 1500SE.

I saw this one on ebay, but I have no idea how good it would be. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Bike ... 9d&vxp=mtr

I appreciate your feedback

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Re: motorcycle alarm

Postby twostrokes48 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:10 pm

My first impression is since any half decent car alarm starts at a little over $100.00 what kind of crap would you get for $17.00?? Lo Jack is probably the best way to go, but it ain't cheap....But, usually get discount on your insurance, so depends on how long the discount savings would take to make up the cost. Don't know of any "cheap, good" alrams.

hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Postby hap2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Ok..,thank u very much. I understand Gorilla is amoung the most popular.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:09 am

Before you go and spend your funds on an expensive alarm, what is it you are actually looking for? Most insurance companies are interested in a "vehicle immobiliser". Which means that the vehicle cannot be started unless a 'switch' is turned on. The switch is usually hidden somewhere on the vehicle, so that it is not easy to overcome.

How often have you heard a vehicle alarm go off, but no one pays attention to it?

If the "robbers" cannot start it, they will at least leave it where it is, unless they are really organised and have a tow-truck or trailer. My view is that an immobiliser is all that is necessary, perhaps with a flashing LED to let would be thieves that this is somewhat protected. And for a belt and braces approach, perhaps a wheel chain/lock so that it makes it difficult to wheel it away.

Get an immobiliser, and with the spare cash, get a cover for it. What they cant see, they cant know what they are getting.

These are my views, and may be something to consider. Whatever you decide, check thoroughly before proceeding.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 am

Agree, get a good immobiliser, with key code backup and nudge feature. Because the only time your fob will not work is when there is no one for miles and you have no phone reception. Mine is a dealer only fit, you cannot DIY it. Only thing I do not like is auto set after 30 seconds which cannot be altered, put into service mode and it beeps every 15 secs until turned off.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 am

Hap2,

There is a write up on these, and here is some info on an "never been cut by bolt cutters" Almax immobiliser Series III. You can buy just the chain, a chain and lock, or a chain, lock, and earth stake. The lock is something special as well. The chains start at around UKP79.00. If you want to go to the Almax site, http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=29

If you go to this site:http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-alarms/ they have prepared an article on various options, pros, and cons on different types of locks.

PS I got your PM, but thought I would answer this way in case others are interested.

Let me know if there is further info required.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”